Relegation Battle - 22/23

Tayls

17 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Just a shame we wasted the easiest part.of.our season points wise 🤦🏿‍♂️

Watch us somehow finish the season very strongly and barely miss out on Europe because we waited too long to sack Gerrard...  `

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Mini pre-season to come though!

It's annoying, for sure. We've basically lost a year of our Villa lives...but I'm excited. 

Being positive, Kamara is brilliant. Carlos looked brilliant. We now have an unquestionably proven manager.

A whipping at Newcastle might dampen my spirits a bit mind.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Nah I think we've got an easier run of 11 games second half of the season.

eve CRY whu BOU che NFO NEW bre FUL mnu wol

Differences to first 11 are NEW bre mnu wol instead of ars MNC SOU lee and the other fixtures reverse ties.

11 hours ago, imavillan said:

Anyone still worried? 

I was worried, but the game at the weekend and subsequently Emery has put a lot of that to bed - the biggest thing for me was what West Ham have just done. They were joint 17th and below us last night and 1 win with a couple of favourable var calls and they're suddenly 10th.

The table is really tight and 1 win will make a huge difference, we've spent the first part of the season without a manager and now we've got a legitimately elite one, the only way is up (I hope!) 

10 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Yeah that's going to be a problem to get that far up the league. Emery is good but I'm not expecting him to guide us to away wins at likes of Liverpool, Man. City, Spurs and Chelsea just yet. Maybe a draw or two if we improve defensive aspects.

Think we won 7 away games last season, we'll do well to win 3-4 as things stand so you're not finishing too high up the league with that low a tally.

3 wins from first 6 home games is decent start though and I'd actually say getting to 10 home wins for first time since 2007-08 season is a realistic prospect for us, even more so if we can turn over one of Man. United/Liverpool which will be Unai's first two home games.

I'm not worried but I would say that the relegation places are very open this season. I can see someone unexpected falling into the zone due to unfortunate injuries as I don't think any teams are going to get adrift this year. Hopefully we have already had our bad luck in that particular area.

The league is very close. We're only four points after Liverpool despite our disastrous form and performances.

With the squad we have and manager we're not going to worry about relegation.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tomsky_11 said:

The lowest points total he's ever achieved in his entire managerial career from a 26 league game run is 31 (23/02-02/11/2013 at Sevilla), so if he equals this in our remaining games we still finish on 43 points.

Lock. It. Up.

Good research, but I feel I have to point out it is *possible* for him to have a worse 26 game run!

3 hours ago, picicata said:

I'm not worried but I would say that the relegation places are very open this season. I can see someone unexpected falling into the zone due to unfortunate injuries as I don't think any teams are going to get adrift this year. Hopefully we have already had our bad luck in that particular area.

Yeah definitely. We've not exactly been lucky in this area so far however, but yeah it really could be worse.

5 hours ago, tomsky_11 said:

Nah I think we've got an easier run of 11 games second half of the season.

eve CRY whu BOU che NFO NEW bre FUL mnu wol

Differences to first 11 are NEW bre mnu wol instead of ars MNC SOU lee and the other fixtures reverse ties.

It took me a while to get what you were doing there. I thought you may have dropped something on your keyboard or something at first!

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Good research, but I feel I have to point out it is *possible* for him to have a worse 26 game run!

Nope. Impossible.

Should say with him not arriving til 1st Nov he only gets 25 games. His worst ever 25 game run is 30 points, so even if we lose this weekend, he only needs to equal that to get us to 42 points end of season.

Btw 1.2ppg, another fun fact about that, the following PL era Villa managers have a lower ppg for their entire tenure here:

Taylor (51 games, 1.14ppg)

Houllier (30 games, 1.13ppg)

McLeish (38 games, 1.00ppg

Lambert (101 games, 1.00ppg)

Sherwood (23 games, 0.87ppg)

Garde (20 games, 0.60ppg)

Di Matteo (11 games, 0.91ppg) *in Championship

Gerrard (38 games, 1.16ppg)

Excluding Championship games you get rid of Di Matteo, but add Smith (87 games, 1.15ppg)

We've had 15 permanent managers since '92 before Emery, so over half of them haven't got more ppg than Emery's worst 25 game run.