Ratings & Reactions: Bournemouth v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

181 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/08/22 at 22:59

3 hours ago, Robbie09 said:

Just got back from the game and haven’t read through the pages but we were pretty shite today.
The early goal allowed them to shut up shop, a bank of 4 with 5 in front strangled the game and stopped Coutinho, Bailey and both full backs from getting forward.

Yes we were poor, yes Bournemouth wanted it more but by far the biggest disappointment for me was the bitching, moaning and slagging off the players and manager by a good number of the fans after as little as 15 minutes of the game.

Beats me why they bother going, there’s plenty of others that would happily snap their hands off for tickets and genuinely encourage the team rather than berate them at every opportunity.

Rant over!

That first goal warranted a "stewards Enquiry"........yes all donkeys.

6 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Has to be - not one of those Bournemouth players gets into our team, but they played us off the pitch

That is the worrying bit......and where the analysis should begin.

We are obsessed with ballers.....then produce that garbage....we allow teams to drain any bit of enertia out of us, and negate any talent we have.

Both ends of the pitch, in the air, we are woeful, undone by a spirited side, with not much more than desire.

That first goal, is nothing new.....its typical of this team.....like a bunch of gaggling geese, all intent of not getting their heads to the ball.

I think Cash dif his best to shy away from the goal bound shot......staggering.

The second goal resulted in a desperate, championship player with admittedly a 6'5 frame, using it to good effect against 3 international players with no stomach for the duel.

Shabby.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Adman said:

Can I just say I don't want any more signings. If we can't get a note, let alone a tune out of this squad, then anyone else coming in is a waste of the next managers transfer budget

The problem is with new signings is.......They will be bought, by the same buyers....so we have the same, sameyness.

We have a small team in stature.....we need some height in the line up, to create variation, and induce some muscle....even our beast, was tested in the air today, at 6'1 he was beaten in the air......it was like land of the giants with them.

chances are they will just sign the same again, as they can't see an issue.......with the odd exception our team, is samey.

We come up against big players and we simply can't cope with them.....and more worrying, I don't think they think, its an issue.....Even Liverpool have Van Dijk, Matip and Fabinho in a triangle in front of goal...all tall dominating figures.

The under 11's would fancy their chances against us...such is our stature.

Edited by TRO

Honestly, i have seen many many of VillaViews vids (when they were around ages ago - back to the champ years etc - before bardell went off to do other jobs), and Bardell is usually very measured and slow to criticise, so he must have been bouncing off the walls to say this, lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

The problem is with new signings is.......They will be bought, by the same buyers....so we have the same, sameyness.

We have a small team in stature.....we need some height in the line up, to create variation, and induce some muscle....even our beast, was tested in the air today, at 6'1 he was beaten in the air......it was like land of the giants with them.

chances are they will just sign the same again, as they can't see an issue.......with the odd exception our team, is samey.

We come up against big players and we simply can't cope with them.....and more worrying, I don't think they think, its an issue.....Even Liverpool have Van Dijk, Matip and Fabinho in a triangle in front of goal...all tall dominating figures.

yeah but we dont need height, power or athleticism in out team mate, having a team of wet lettuce midgets isnt a problem.

/s

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Honestly, i have seen many many of VillaViews vids (when they were around ages ago - back to the champ years etc - before bardell went off to do other jobs), and Bardell is usually very measured and slow to criticise, so he must have been bouncing off the walls to say this, lol.

If only we had a defender who puts his body on the line 👀

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

yeah but we dont need height, power or athleticism in out team mate, having a team of wet lettuce midgets isnt a problem.

/s

If folk couldn't see from today our achilles heel........They never will.

Too many piano players, not enough piano carriers.

We don't have enough talent, to just rely on talent alone.....and thats what we are trying to do.

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

We could have played Ming's, Watkins Traore, El Ghazi, Ireugbunam etc if we wanted more height.  We got probably the best squad I can remember us having, but just got schooled by the worst team in the league.  

If I was our owners I'd be f****ng livid.  We've spent so much money to come up with that?  Wow

All the podcasters are usually very positive and up beat......and at times, too much so, when reality needs to reign.

All to a man are scathing of that performance and result.....rightly so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Adman said:

We could have played Ming's, Watkins Traore, El Ghazi, Ireugbunam etc if we wanted more height.  We got probably the best squad I can remember us having, but just got schooled by the worst team in the league.  

If I was our owners I'd be f****ng livid.  We've spent so much money to come up with that?  Wow

They probably are.

Its not height alone, like its not talent alone.....its combinations.....those Liverpool players are not exactly slouches are they or rely on height alone....thats not the point being made.

Traore and ElGhazi is not good enough......I would have played Mings to negate Moore....but Watkins is not big at 5'11 or Ings, more inside forwards than CF's.....Haaland and Nunez are 6'2 +....looks like the top 2 are moving away from smaller front men.

I would be tempted to have started with Tim Today alongside Kamara.

El ghazi is history, by the looks of things, but couldn't have been any worse than them, who played.

I want to try something this season.  I've found it interesting to look at other poster's player ratings so I sometimes do a round-up myself.  This has been intermittent, but as I watch every game in full (after the fact, normally) I thought it would be interesting to both rate the players and give a running average for the season.  As the season progresses I'll give marks out of ten as well as putting the average for each player afterwards in parentheses.  I should add, I'm a London sucker so I'm only ever watching the televised broadcasts, and I don't claim to be any kind of expert on football.  I just say what I see.

And so it begins.  But if this season is as dire as today things might be a little hard going.  Anyway...

Today we looked absolutely toothless as we were outthought and outplayed by a clearly limited Bournemouth who nonetheless seemed faster, stronger, sharper and keener, in pretty much every department.  Midfield is the big worry, as it has been for some time.  Somewhere we seem as weak and listless there as we ever have during this run in the top flight.  A real cause for concern.

MARTINEZ 7 Faultless for the first goal, but commanding for balls into the box throughout.  Could his positioning be faulted for the second goal?  One wonders how unshakeable his confidence will prove if the defence continues to be so disorganised and indecisive.

CARLOS 6 As strong as an ox, but far silkier, the man seems tailor-made for the Premier League.  Some of his control and passing had an effortless elegance about it, but it seems churlish to praise him too effusively when considering how soft the Bournemouth goals were.

KONSA 4 Where is the silky, slinky composure of old?  It's very disappointing to see a player that seemed destined to evolve shrink so dramatically.  You favoured him to be bullied again and again and again.  The man currently has no presence, looking troublingly willowy next to big Diego.

DIGNE 5 Troublingly limp display for a 'marquee player', who neither surges nor fights like you'd expect an elite level fullback to.  Crossing was appalling too, maybe the depressingly dominant feature from today's team performance.

CASH 6 Everyone loves a trier, but Cash does rather remind you of the concluding part of that 'Jack of all trades' saying.  Not particularly fast, not especially strong, and lacking that knack for the canny link-up play one expects from a marauding full back.  Tenacity can only get you so far in a supposedly 'progressive' team.

KAMARA 6 Clearly a player there, but this was very much a 'Welcome to the Premier League' performance.  Wasteful and lightweight at times, but an essential composure and versatility will undoubtedly shine once he dusts himself down and gets used to the whirlwind.

RAMSAY 4 Almost completely anonymous in his first half performance.  Desperate even.  In a team worryingly bereft of dribblers and ball-carriers Ramsay needs to get his all-action mojo back if he wants to justify his inclusion in any future first elevens.

McGINN 4 Another clumsy, thudding performance from our new captain.  The pitch perfect leader for such an uninspired, rudderless performance.

COUTINHO 3 The indulgence of Coutinho seems increasingly like letting a katana-wielding fop lead a bloody skirmish into No Man's Land.  Pretty, with the eternal promise of elegance, but...people gonna die.  For our ostensible conductor, Coutinho seems lightweight, disinterested and directionless.  Touch was conspicuously poor today too.  Rather than unlock opposition defences Coutinho seems to actually unpick any cohesion we have going forward.

BAILEY 6 Flashes of threat early on, but became increasingly isolated as the game wore on.  Precious little chemistry with Cash.

INGS 6 Provided a little punch and thrust early on but became frustrated pretty quickly, which lead to a deserved booking.  His lack of acceleration seems a big problem too.

BUENDIA 5 Largely anonymous.  Failed to grasp the game by the scruff of the neck like we know he can.  Seems less confident, which given his baffling treatment under Gerrard is perhaps understandable.

WATKINS 4 Nothing to see here.  Perhaps not his fault.

LUIZ N/A Couldn't get into the game.  Not sure what he could do if he did.

ARCHER N/A Poor lad.

I feel harsh issuing these ratings, even for a performance this flat.  Because this is so clearly on Gerrard.  If this is his audition for recognition as a proper Big Time Manager he's already starting to choke.

• Like 4

Martinez - 6 - Didn't really have to do much other than pick the ball out of his net twice. Let down by woeful defending 

Cash - 5 - Ran a lot but was sloppy on the ball and didn't really offer anything going forward. Was at fault for the 2nd goal, didn't even challenge for a header. 

Konsa - 4 - Big mistake to throw him in after just coming back from a long lay off with not many minutes. Coupled with a downturn in form / confidence last season. Doesn't look a premier league defender at the moment 

Carlos - 5 - Is better with the ball at his feet than Mings but didn't show the dominance or leadership qualities. I think he has the potential to be a good player but it wasn't good a display today. 

Digne - 5 - Similar to Cash, ran a lot but very little end product. Poor display

Kamara - 7 - Our only slight positive. Broke play up well and can pick a pass - also some promising contributions in the final third too

McGinn - 5 - Sloppy in possession and doesn't impose himself on the game at this level. Has been a passenger for a while and astonishing Gerrard picked him as captain. 

Ramsey - 5 - Needs dropping and to earn his way back in the team. Bags of potential but shot of confidence at the moment - doesn't work with McGinn in the middle 

Coutinho - 4 - Not sure what he brings to the team. Is a luxury player we don't know how to utilise and trying to fit him into the team is becoming a problem 

Bailey - 6 - Some promising signs first half but very predictable and far too reliant on his left foot. Doesn't run at defenders enough for me 

Ings - 5 - Had no service but just doesn't look up to it for me. Looks sluggish, laboured and slow. 

Buendia - 5 - Unable to impose himself on the game - looked shot of confidence and match fitness. 

Watkins - 5 - Made no impact whatsoever 

Luiz - 6 - No much time to really make an impact but showed why he should be starting. Comfortable in possession and looks to get things moving. 

Archer - Not enough time to really make any impact at all 

Two bits of conventional wisdom I've been hearing all summer long. They keep ringing in my head:

1) "We've done good transfer business." (Really? Doesn't look like it.)

2) "A striker isn't a priority. We've got them already." (Yeah, and they couldn't locate a net it if had runway lights.) 

• Haha 1

Dog shit. 

McGinn and Ramsey still isn’t a good midfield pairing. 

We have two potentially brilliant number 10s and we bench one and play the other on the wing. 

We are shit

Â