Parenting Corner: The joys and trials of raising little Villans

Marka Ragnos

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

Do you know when their Ofsted was last done? Some schools ratings are from several years ago due to the pandemic and a lot can change in that time. Before you do anything I'd suggest going to an open day and also trying to speak to some parents of kids that go there to see what the school is actually like.

Yeah it was from a while ago. Don’t worry we’re not rushing into anything. It was almost hypothetical to be honest. Jack has only just turned 1, we have lots of time!

17 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah it was from a while ago. Don’t worry we’re not rushing into anything. It was almost hypothetical to be honest. Jack has only just turned 1, we have lots of time!

If you do decide that this is the school for Jack then you might want to not only get him baptised but start attending the linked church occasionally so that the priest knows you. If it's a top 10 school in the country it might be very oversubscribed with applications and come down to the waiting list. If this is the case the priest would potentially a say in it and could swing it in your favour.

4 hours ago, Genie said:

When I hear about people spending a fortune sending their kids to top schools I think about Prince Harry getting caught doing cocaine and weed at Eton.

Better quality sniff though eh ;) 

I went to a Roman Catholic school that had a Nun/Sister teaching RE and an on-site Priest with chapel and confession box. I wasn't religious at all. Probably why I failed! :D 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

Do you know when their Ofsted was last done? Some schools ratings are from several years ago due to the pandemic and a lot can change in that time. Before you do anything I'd suggest going to an open day and also trying to speak to some parents of kids that go there to see what the school is actually like.

This mostly happened just before Covid but the school our daughter went to had an excellent Ofsted but hadn't been inspected in quite a while. It finally got it and was flagged as needs improving. We weren't too worried as sometimes these things can help as they will be trying hard to Improve. It was in an affluent village in Wiltshire, many families in my opinion overreacted and took there kids out and sent them to private schools in the area. We moved to West Mids 2 and a half years ago now, but the school seems to have really struggled with the amount that have left.

6 minutes ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

This mostly happened just before Covid but the school our daughter went to had an excellent Ofsted but hadn't been inspected in quite a while. It finally got it and was flagged as needs improving. We weren't too worried as sometimes these things can help as they will be trying hard to Improve. It was in an affluent village in Wiltshire, many families in my opinion overreacted and took there kids out and sent them to private schools in the area. We moved to West Mids 2 and a half years ago now, but the school seems to have really struggled with the amount that have left.

Yeah, my son goes to an outstanding rated school in Cheshire but it hasn't been reviewed since about 2019. They're already prepping parents to say their rating will likely drop as Ofsted don't give any school outstanding twice in a row for political/bureaucratic reasons. If the rating did drop I could see parents leaving as people get very intense about their kids (my son's teacher is currently on long term sick and it's suspected it's stress related after multiple complaints went in from parents). However, I think the school is great and we wouldn't look to switch. 

The difference between ‘Outstanding’ and ‘Good’ is so so slight. It often comes down to the most ludicrous things. As long as a school isn’t heading into special measures, it’ll be absolutely fine. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/02/2023 at 20:29, Xela said:

Better quality sniff though eh ;) 

I went to a Roman Catholic school that had a Nun/Sister teaching RE and an on-site Priest with chapel and confession box. I wasn't religious at all. Probably why I failed! :D 

Was he based in the boys changing rooms?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I want my kid to go to a private school because school shootings only happen at state schools - how f****g depressing is that?

Not quite at this decision point yet, but the probabilities are very very low. I do live outside the local metropolis though, which always have their own special set of ills.  

On 23/02/2023 at 12:43, TheAuthority said:

The probabilities of him being involved in a school shooting?

In the last 3 weeks his school has been locked down twice because of active shooters in the area. One of those times my wife was there we our other baby because she'd just dropped him off. 

That's mental. In any normal place, that would be a newsworthy event. Up here in OH, a new elementary school is being announced, but they are changing a few things based on feedback from a building built last year... a bigger security station/hut. Back in MI, they were adding on to a middle school and all the halls were curved to reduce shooter sightlines... wtf.

The political backlash against this will be fun... Rudi Guiliani will be advising half the counties in the country, because that's how one fixes things.  More seriously, one would hope the easy justice crowd start to pay attention to the consequences of their policies. Here in the Columbus area, in addition to loads of gun crime, car theft is rampant (Kia & Hyundai in particular). The gangs have sussed that if you get a 15yr old to do the crime, then they are are just arrested and immediately released due to  softly softly crime policies.  

One only hopes that our kids don't fall in with a bad crowd or some such.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I collected my 5 year old from after school club earlier today and saw him outside playing with an older kid.

He was up against the clubhouse with arms spread whilst the older kid talked to him and patted his shoulders.

When I later asked him what they were playing he said it was the Easter story and he was being crucified.

Kid's are f***ing weird.

• Haha 4

Reports that 30 hours free childcare a week will be extended to 1 and 2 year olds in the budget today. 

Would be a huge help

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Reports that 30 hours free childcare a week will be extended to 1 and 2 year olds in the budget today. 

Would be a huge help

I’m pretty sure when mine were young it was 16/18 ours until 2 (or older).

It will be a good move if they implement it.

• Like 1

Â