Parenting Corner: The joys and trials of raising little Villans

Marka Ragnos

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Reports that 30 hours free childcare a week will be extended to 1 and 2 year olds in the budget today. 

Would be a huge help

As much as the tories have been absolutely shit, this i think is actually excellent news and one of the few things they have done right 

Parents can get back to work and not have to go part time/quit jobs to look after their kids.

Going to help families massively 

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I’m pretty sure when mine were young it was 16/18 ours until 2 (or older).

It will be a good move if they implement it.

You get tax paid for you by the government for under 3's at the moment, which is better than nothing for sure, but still leaves huge bills.

30 hours free would save me about £800 a month

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

As much as the tories have been absolutely shit, this i think is actually excellent news and one of the few things they have done right 

Parents can get back to work and not have to go part time/quit jobs to look after their kids.

Going to help families massively 

Yeah I agree. I mean I haven't seen any analysis yet so there may be a catch, there usually is with the Tories. But we have some of the highest childcare costs in the world so anything to help that seems like a good step.

It's barely worth Jack's mom going back to work. In fact I think we'd have been better off financially if she didn't go back and looked after Jack full time. It's only her desire to keep working that meant being a full time mom hasn't been an option.

That's an insane situation to be in, especially for someone who earns a half decent wage

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You get tax paid for you by the government for under 3's at the moment, which is better than nothing for sure, but still leaves huge bills.

30 hours free would save me about £800 a month

I’ve been trying to remember, but I think they used to get 16 hours free right up to when they went into reception.

30 hours free will be great news for parents but also the economy I’d have thought. 

From what my girlfriend tells me, who deals with all the nursery bills, it's a little more nuanced than simply 30 free hours. It goes something like, 30 free hours during term time only, but you can stretch it over 52 weeks: term time is defined as 38 weeks of the year, so if you do use nursery during term time for 52 weeks per year, it's 21 hours 55 minutes per week, although you would also then have to pay their daily food bill (this could be exclusive to our nursery, I have no idea, but at the moment we don't pay for food, with the free hours we would). Slight caveat that the nursery year may actually be 51 weeks due to Xmas closure, in which case you'd get 22 hours 21 minutes (in real terms, I don't know how the rounding works, could be to the nearest whole hour, in which case it's simply 22 hours either way).

Regardless, it'll be a bit of a game changer for a lot of families, ours included. It would mean we not only save money, but my girlfriend could go back to work full time too, and subsequently get full time mat leave pay as and when we have a second. She doesn't want to go back to full time really, but the incentive will be there now - this is assuming it starts either straight away, or from this September in line with the school terms, as our daughter is eligible for the 30 hours for 3 year olds from the January 2024 term anyway. Big difference for any second kid though. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah I agree. I mean I haven't seen any analysis yet so there may be a catch, there usually is with the Tories. But we have some of the highest childcare costs in the world so anything to help that seems like a good step.

It's barely worth Jack's mom going back to work. In fact I think we'd have been better off financially if she didn't go back and looked after Jack full time. It's only her desire to keep working that meant being a full time mom hasn't been an option.

That's an insane situation to be in, especially for someone who earns a half decent wage

Agree with all that stevo. Lets hope there isnt a catch on this one. Guess we will see later

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Agree with all that stevo. Lets hope there isnt a catch on this one. Guess we will see later

Oh, look - there is. Doesn't come in until September 2025. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Absolute ****. The first part of it (for 2 year year olds) doesn't start until April 2024. They'll be out of government by the time it reaches 1 year olds

Broken down, it's:

• up to two years old will get 15 hours free from April 2024
  • from nine months up will get 15 hours from September 2024
  • full 30 hours free childcare per week for children under five and from September 2025

Cited as required due to ensuring there are enough Nursery spaces to meet the demand. I wonder if they will help to get those recently closed Nursery's up and running again to achieve this?

6 minutes ago, Mozzavfc said:

Was there any mention of changing the child:carer ratio? I assume they would lower the ratios to help lower costs 

1:5 instead of 1:4 but not a compulsory change.

As for them kicking this can down the road… shouldve known not to think these Tories might do something that would benefit me! Our boy will be 3 in April 2024 so its another year of paying top dollar!

32 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

🤦‍♂️ you just knew it.

26 minutes ago, Mozzavfc said:

Absolute ****. The first part of it (for 2 year year olds) doesn't start until April 2024. They'll be out of government by the time it reaches 1 year olds

Well regardless if they are in government surely our saviour the labour party won't drop it? It would be  a complete shitshow from labour if they didnt go ahead with it

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Well regardless if they are in government surely our saviour the labour party won't drop it? It would be  a complete shitshow from labour if they didnt go ahead with it

30 free hours for 2 years+ was part of Labour's last manifesto, and they've been banging the drum on support for families recently, so you'd assume they'd at least match the Tories here

I'm actually quite pleased with the confirmation, it will work out really well for couples or families planning to have kids in the next 12 months or so - whose kid would therefore be starting nursery around the time the real benefits kick in.

I think it's also a bit of a stretch to expect that the current market for nursery spaces could accommodate potentially hundreds of extra days per week if the government just suddenly opened it up, or even if they did it in line with the new school term in Sept '23. I don't know about the towns and cities you guys live in, but to get my daughter in to nursery we were turned down from 3 of them before finding one with vacancy for when we needed it, and this was over a year ago.

If I were nitpicking, I'd rather they increased child benefit so parents can choose whether to use it for daytime childcare or whether to use it for living while providing continued hands on parenting, rather than it being a perk for just getting your arse back into work. 

• Like 1

Â