Parenting Corner: The joys and trials of raising little Villans

Marka Ragnos

37 minutes ago, Genie said:

The sleep training clearly isn’t working…

You gotta dig in, write off 2 nights for long term gains. Trust me, it works but you’ve got to be strong.

If you’re caving in after an hour he knows that it’s worth him keep going as you’ll eventually be along. It’s the worst thing to do.

If you’ve left him (cos you know he’s, safe, fed, warm etc) he will occasionally do a little cry but then give up quickly as he knows nobody is coming (cos it’s sleep time).

Whichever book you have that tells you to run into him every time he cries in the night should be burned.

Well it does work in a way.

It gets him back to sleep no problem. That's not really the hard part. The hard part is him staying asleep.

Nothing says go in as soon as he starts crying. but it does say when it's clear he's not going to go back to sleep on his own then go in, lie him down, calm him down and leave again. Which puts him back to sleep

On 17/12/2022 at 11:35, mjmooney said:

Thanks. Remind me to interrogate you on the last half century of popular culture sometime, to see if you have any blind spots. 

FWIW, I've certainly heard of Fireman Sam, but having never watched it, I couldn't identify it from a cartoon still of a generic kid, with no other clues. 

To be honest, I wouldn't expect you to have watched it. it's set in Wales and with your obvious Welshist behaviour, I fully expect it to have been banned in the Mooney house

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, bickster said:

it's set in Wales and with your obvious Welshist behaviour, I fully expect it to have been banned in the Mooney house

I didn't know that. Thanks for the warning. 

• Haha 2

On 19/12/2022 at 05:22, TheAuthority said:

Mike it sounds like your G'Kids and your kid Ben are about a year behind mine,

Wait until you get to the f**** absolute c*** **** ******** ***** face ****spunk **** ******* loving *****head that is Blippi.

And also the ***** ing ***** word removed *** absolute ******* Ryan. His parents should be interned, sterilized and sleep deprived ad infinitum.

Is that Ryan and his toy review?

On 19/12/2022 at 19:00, Paddywhack said:

My 3 year old has never really done ‘imaginative play’ before, but he started acting out little scenes with his toys in the bath last night, making up stories and putting little voices on. It was lovely to just sit and watch.

I'd be careful where on the Internet you put that

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Well it does work in a way.

It gets him back to sleep no problem. That's not really the hard part. The hard part is him staying asleep.

Nothing says go in as soon as he starts crying. but it does say when it's clear he's not going to go back to sleep on his own then go in, lie him down, calm him down and leave again. Which puts him back to sleep

You could have 2 rough nights and then forever be enjoying 8-10 hours of uninterrupted sleep. 

The going in to see them every time is the reason you’re in this mess still. 

trust-me-declan-donnelly.gif

35 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

My lad had his 1st erection the other day! He was laughing at it asking what it was! I was flummuxed! Ended up saying "Oh don't worry it's just your excitement thermometer son! Are you excited?" He laughed & said Yes! so i said "there you go it's working then" Had not a clue what to say :crylaugh:

My lad had one very early. I had to google it to see if it was normal. Very VERY carefully google it!!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

You could have 2 rough nights and then forever be enjoying 8-10 hours of uninterrupted sleep. 

The going in to see them every time is the reason you’re in this mess still. 

trust-me-declan-donnelly.gif

I'm not convinced

Just now, Stevo985 said:

I'm not convinced

You're right not to be. While there is an argument for 'leave them alone', there is no one-size-fits-all solution. They're all different, use your own judgement. 

Just now, Stevo985 said:

I'm not convinced

Worked perfectly with my 2, and several others I know.

If someone cries for attention, then gets the attention are they more or less likely to keep doing it? Especially in the frequency your boy is doing it. It’s become a habit and he’s probably doing it subconsciously. 

You get to a point where they don’t need feeding through the night anymore so you know they won’t be hungry. We just agreed when to put the plan into action and after 2 rough nights it was sorted. Habit changed.

The longer you leave it the harder it will be to crack the habit.

1 hour ago, Talldarkandransome said:

My lad used to be mad on him a couple of years ago. Watch it now they are on luxury holidays live in a house with a pool and Lambourghini. Think I heard he is one of the top 3 earners on You Tube.

My little one has realised that when I ignore her usual grumbling and crying, I still come running to comfort her if she fakes being in pain. Manipulative little shit can't even roll over yet but she's playing mind games.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Yes

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

My lad used to be mad on him a couple of years ago. Watch it now they are on luxury holidays live in a house with a pool and Lambourghini. Think I heard he is one of the top 3 earners on You Tube.

Yup - loaded - they even produced well it's crazy

4 hours ago, Genie said:

Worked perfectly with my 2, and several others I know.

If someone cries for attention, then gets the attention are they more or less likely to keep doing it? Especially in the frequency your boy is doing it. It’s become a habit and he’s probably doing it subconsciously. 

You get to a point where they don’t need feeding through the night anymore so you know they won’t be hungry. We just agreed when to put the plan into action and after 2 rough nights it was sorted. Habit changed.

The longer you leave it the harder it will be to crack the habit.

He doesn’t need feeding. He just works himself up into a state. We’ll probably try it as we’ve got nothing to lose

• Like 1

3 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

I think he was the top earner on YouTube for at least a year or two. Crazy money

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He doesn’t need feeding. He just works himself up into a state. We’ll probably try it as we’ve got nothing to lose

The thing is, you have to fully commit to it. If one of you caves after an hour it reinforces the message that if he cries long enough you’ll eventually come. He’ll try his luck a few times but eventually realise (as sad as it sounds) nobody will come. The result is a win/win for everyone. He’s happier because he’s getting good quality sleep, and you’re happier because you’re getting good quality sleep.

Good luck. 

5 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Back in my day we'd have made a fortune on playing marbles, we needed you tube back then. Nowadays you can make a fortune shitting 

Â