Parenting Corner: The joys and trials of raising little Villans

Marka Ragnos

9 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

1 year old.. she is getting constant colds, lack of sleep.

Holy shit it's exhausting 

Kill me!

Don't worry, apparently it gets easier one day. I'll let you know when it is for us.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah the constant colds thing is annoying. Just get an immune system ffs

I'm currently on my third head cold in six weeks. Almost certainly caught from the grandchildren. 

• Like 1

Daughters’s birthday party today. Twenty plus kids in attendance (could have been more, I had a handful of late apologies on the day).

She had a nice time, think they all did, that’s the main thing. 

But although I arranged it so I would have reduced responsibilities in the actual party proceedings, entertainment etc, it never quite turns out that way. Found myself having to police things like the bouncy castle, stop them climbing on things they shouldn’t be. Some of the little darlings can get carried away.

Cool wet grass, cool wet grass…

EarnestInsubstantialHedgehog-size_restri

On 29/01/2023 at 20:36, Mark Albrighton said:

Daughters’s birthday party today. Twenty plus kids in attendance (could have been more, I had a handful of late apologies on the day).

She had a nice time, think they all did, that’s the main thing. 

But although I arranged it so I would have reduced responsibilities in the actual party proceedings, entertainment etc, it never quite turns out that way. Found myself having to police things like the bouncy castle, stop them climbing on things they shouldn’t be. Some of the little darlings can get carried away.

Cool wet grass, cool wet grass…

EarnestInsubstantialHedgehog-size_restri

We did my lads birthday party a few years ago (when it was like a competition with other parents). I always tried to avoid kids parties as I couldn't think of anything worse. We did a joint one with another kid who I didn't know.

About 50 kids turned up with their parents, I spent the whole time serving tea and coffee in a quiet room with a serving hatch. It was the best one I'd ever been to. 

We've done other ones in our house where we have fed the parents too. I have never been to another kids birthday where the hosts have fed the parents. Me and the missus never agree on this 

• Like 1

On 05/01/2023 at 20:17, mjmooney said:

You just never know. I used to have a work colleague who had an utterly nightmare kid, who wouldn't sleep, wouldn't eat anything except crisps, etc. When he announced they were having another one, I thought oh great, throw in sibling jealousy, that'll be the last straw. What happened was the reverse - as soon as the baby was born, she calmed down, started sleeping and eating normally, and never looked back. 

EDIT: I think our little 'un will be OK with it, as she's very close to her two cousins, who are happy sisters, and good role models. 

My lad doesn't eat properly but there's no way in the world I'm having another one. I'm prob too old now but I'd consider fostering a 14 year old

7 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

We did my lads birthday party a few years ago (when it was like a competition with other parents). I always tried to avoid kids parties as I couldn't think of anything worse. We did a joint one with another kid who I didn't know.

About 50 kids turned up with their parents, I spent the whole time serving tea and coffee in a quiet room with a serving hatch. It was the best one I'd ever been to. 

We've done other ones in our house where we have fed the parents too. I have never been to another kids birthday where the hosts have fed the parents. Me and the missus never agree on this 

I can beat that. Daughters 13th. House full of 12 and 13 year olds. Irritating little ****, most of them I had known since they were 5 and some of them 20 years later are friends of the family. Then though, at least 5 girls sniffing round the same eligible 13 year old, I left them to have run of the house and me and my wife locked ourselves in our room with the radio and a bottle of wine. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I can beat that. Daughters 13th. House full of 12 and 13 year olds. Irritating little ****, most of them I had known since they were 5 and some of them 20 years later are friends of the family. Then though, at least 5 girls sniffing round the same eligible 13 year old, I left them to have run of the house and me and my wife locked ourselves in our room with the radio and a bottle of wine. 

I'd have gone to the pub 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Kiddo just had his molars cut through, an ulcer on his tongue and fevers/viral rash at same time.

All relatively minor baby things, but jesus christ it's consumed about 4 days of my life with him not being able to go to nursery and resulting in barely any sleep for us. Why the **** would anyone have more than one?!

Edited by PieFacE

4 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Kiddo just had his molars cut through, an ulcer on his tongue and fevers/viral rash at same time.

All relatively minor baby things, but jesus christ it's consumed about 4 days of my life with him not being able to go to nursery and resulting in barely any sleep for us. Why the **** would anyone have more than one?!

I'LL TELL YOU WHY, MAN.

Because that one child you have, irrespective of the tough times, has brought such love and care into your World that you cannot possibly comprehend life without them.  Your life has new purpose - for better or for worse (and I often debate it...) the old you is gone; you're a new, cool Dad guy now.  And your kid is, lets face it, pretty awesome after all.  Look at the way they say those first words so cutely and then start to be able to communicate with you in a way that only you and your better half can understand.  I tell you what, actually, maybe it would be nice if they had a sibling?  I mean, after all, we've done the hard work once so we know what we're doing.  And it'd be lovely to see them playing together and having that sibling bond - we'd make sure they're close and love each other too.  Yeah, let's give it a shot!

BOOM.

Second child.  Way tougher than you imagined.  Can't split the tasks anymore - oh no - there's 2 adults and 2 kids now.  It's a fair battleground.  Oh shit.  Why the **** would anyone have more than 2 and be outnumbered?!

SOMEONE WILL TELL ME WHY, MAN....

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I'LL TELL YOU WHY, MAN.

Because that one child you have, irrespective of the tough times, has brought such love and care into your World that you cannot possibly comprehend life without them.  Your life has new purpose - for better or for worse (and I often debate it...) the old you is gone; you're a new, cool Dad guy now.  And your kid is, lets face it, pretty awesome after all.  Look at the way they say those first words so cutely and then start to be able to communicate with you in a way that only you and your better half can understand.  I tell you what, actually, maybe it would be nice if they had a sibling?  I mean, after all, we've done the hard work once so we know what we're doing.  And it'd be lovely to see them playing together and having that sibling bond - we'd make sure they're close and love each other too.  Yeah, let's give it a shot!

BOOM.

Second child.  Way tougher than you imagined.  Can't split the tasks anymore - oh no - there's 2 adults and 2 kids now.  It's a fair battleground.  Oh shit.  Why the **** would anyone have more than 2 and be outnumbered?!

SOMEONE WILL TELL ME WHY, MAN....

haha fair points, it's just the last thing I want right now in my grumpy tired state :D 

12 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Why the **** would anyone have more than one?!

It's a gamble. If the two siblings get along well, your life gets easier. They play together instead of constantly demanding attention from a parent. It worked for us, as our two daughters quickly became best mates (and remain so to this day). We are currently looking after their kids, and the pattern has fortunately repeated itself: they like each other. The days when we have the two cousins together are (surprisingly) easier than the days when we just have one of them. 

Where it falls down is if they don't get along - you can spend all your time refereeing punch-ups and rows. 

Are you ready to roll the dice?  

• Like 1

Here’s one for you. 

I was raised as a catholic, but as an atheist now I had no intention to get jack christened or baptised etc. 

However, the house we’re looking at is round the corner, literally, from a primary school that is rated as one of the top 10 state primary schools in the country (based on performance). 

But it’s a catholic school. 

You don’t have to be catholic to go there, but they give catholics priority. 

So should I get Jack christened just to get him into a good school?

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Here’s one for you. 

I was raised as a catholic, but as an atheist now I had no intention to get jack christened or baptised etc. 

However, the house we’re looking at is round the corner, literally, from a primary school that is rated as one of the top 10 state primary schools in the country (based on performance). 

Can you lie? Can you say I got him christened in canada, you wouldnt know that church?

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Here’s one for you. 

On a more serious note. Are you allowed to observe in the classroom? (maybe it's a Montessori thing, but prospective parents are envouraged to observe in classes). Have a look at the other things outside of weekly mass and hymns. Social/emotional support and how lessons are structured. Are the kids doing lots of manual work? I don't mean down the mines but art, music and making their lessons come to life through demonstrations and experiments. Scope out the teachers, as well. Are they smiling and inspiring the kids. What makes it one of the top 10 schools? 

Â