Parenting Corner: The joys and trials of raising little Villans

Marka Ragnos

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

But I thought that her tantrums started when she became a big sister so good luck with that!

You just never know. I used to have a work colleague who had an utterly nightmare kid, who wouldn't sleep, wouldn't eat anything except crisps, etc. When he announced they were having another one, I thought oh great, throw in sibling jealousy, that'll be the last straw. What happened was the reverse - as soon as the baby was born, she calmed down, started sleeping and eating normally, and never looked back. 

EDIT: I think our little 'un will be OK with it, as she's very close to her two cousins, who are happy sisters, and good role models. 

Edited by mjmooney

5 minutes ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

It's brilliant hearing my 2 year old switching seamlessly between Bulgarian and English. In a heartbeat, no stumbling over words. 

Yeah, they can do it so easily. I knew of one couple who were French and Japanese, but didn't speak each other's languages, so used English. Their kids grew up completely trilingual. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Who are these teenager people? 😂  My six foot four 16 yr old just ate for breakfast four scrambled cheese eggs, two large cinnamon rolls, three large organic chicken apple sausages — and one whole mango. And skinny as a rail. He’ll walk for miles later and study and sleep endlessly. I guess it’s that youthful metabolism? I eat a cinnamon roll and I gotta bike six thousand miles 😂

• Like 2

You never realise how lucky you are until it's gone. When I was a student, almost every Tuesday without fail I'd get two large pizzas to myself (two for Tuesday!), eat them both, maybe have some cheesecake (by which I mean an entire cheesecake), and wash it down with some beers, and I was so underweight. Now I eat far more healthily, exercise more, and I'm a tubby **** :( 

On 05/01/2023 at 20:11, AVFC_Hitz said:

It's brilliant hearing my 2 year old switching seamlessly between Bulgarian and English. In a heartbeat, no stumbling over words. 

It’s crazy how easy kids can pick up languages. The thing is as they get older it’s a case of use it or lose it in my experience.  It’s important they continue to speak the language.

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It’s crazy how easy kids can pick up languages. The thing is as they get older it’s a case of use it or lose it in my experience.  It’s important they continue to speak the language.

My son was able to speak basic Spanish at 2 years old. Could count to 20 and knew about 200 words. Then covid hit, his classes were cancelled and we just didn't keep at it. He's now 5 and probably knows about 20 words.

• Sad 1

On 16/01/2023 at 09:46, rjw63 said:

I became a grandfather last night.

Wife was annoyed because I didn't get "excited".

Happy for my lad and his wench but what did she want me to do, Riverdance???

spacer.png

Congrats Rob. 

I hope for your sake they don't call the new born Jack ( if it's a boy) 😂

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Congrats Rob. 

I hope for your sake they don't call the new born Jack ( if it's a boy) 😂

No, it's Arlo. 

And I've already put my lad straight regarding football. The sprog will either be Villa or not like football, I'm not having it any other way. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rjw63 said:

And I've already put my lad straight regarding football. The sprog will either be Villa or not like football, I'm not having it any other way. 

This is my approach too. His grandad (on the other side) is a Man Utd fan and his mom has mooted buying him a man utd kit. I absolutely kicked off!

I honestly think I'd rather he supported Blues than Man Utd. At least he wouldn't be a boring glory hunter. Not that I'd let him support Blues either by the way!!

Anyway, his mom found it hilarious as it's the most passionate I've been about anything regarding my son since he was born :D

(ps Arlo was on the shortlist of names but his name actually is Jack ;)  )

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I have far more respect for Small Heathens than I do for Brummie Reds.

So do I. I was once playing in a game in Bradford, and we had a ref with a pronounced Brummie accent. I spoke to him in the pub afterwards and asked if he was Blues or Villa. "Neither", he said, "...Man United". I turned and walked away. 

• Like 1

My mom wanted me to call my lad arlo, must be popular at the moment from somewhere (I also didn't)

I've said in other threads to me with a 6 month old so hasn't had this fight yet... It seems easier than ever to push your kid in to being a Villa fan + then a dirty glory hunting bastard pick whichever European team you want son, I'd get a PSG shirt if that's what he wants, I'd even take him to a game in 15 odd years time as long as I can go

Another English team? Absolutely not a **** chance

My Leeds supporting brother will have a pop at him at some point seeing as I've made his son a Villa fan but my Leeds supporting cousin who's my kids god father has already said to me he won't touch it, knows not to bother trying

• Like 2

9 hours ago, villa4europe said:

My mom wanted me to call my lad arlo, must be popular at the moment from somewhere 

The only famous Arlo I know is Arlo Guthrie, but I'm pretty sure that very few young parents will even have heard of him! 

The cat in Bing is called Arlo. Can't be that, surely? 

We know 3 Arlos between 6 and 18 months old, it's very popular right now, but no idea about the reason either

Fortunately my other half and her family are rugby fans, and don't care a bit about football, so Villa and England for the rugby, no worries.

Edited by Davkaus

On 17/01/2023 at 22:03, rjw63 said:

On 18/01/2023 at 08:44, Stevo985 said:

This is my approach too. His grandad (on the other side) is a Man Utd fan and his mom has mooted buying him a man utd kit. I absolutely kicked off!

I honestly think I'd rather he supported Blues than Man Utd. At least he wouldn't be a boring glory hunter. Not that I'd let him support Blues either by the way!!

I've said in other threads to me with a 6 month old so hasn't had this fight yet... It seems easier than ever to push your kid in to being a Villa fan + then a dirty glory hunting bastard pick whichever European team you want son, I'd get a PSG shirt if that's what he wants, I'd even take him to a game in 15 odd years time as long as I can go

Another English team? Absolutely not a **** chance

My Leeds supporting brother will have a pop at him at some point seeing as I've made his son a Villa fan but my Leeds supporting cousin who's my kids god father has already said to me he won't touch it, knows not to bother trying

My daughter (5) isn't fussed about football but, because I watch every Villa game, she likes Aston Villa (to the point of glancing at, say, West Ham vs Leicester and excitedly declaring "Aston VILLA!").  However, we live down the road from the Forest ground and most of her friends are Forest fans so she likes Nottingham Forest too.

I quite like that she has her local team and also her Dad's team to follow.  I ask her which is her favourite and she replies "Well I like Nottingham Forest, but I love Aston Villa!".

It won't last long, but it's cute right now :D 

• Like 3

My mom wanted me to call my lad arlo, must be popular at the moment from somewhere (I also didn't)

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The only famous Arlo I know is Arlo Guthrie, but I'm pretty sure that very few young parents will even have heard of him! 

The cat in Bing is called Arlo. Can't be that, surely? 

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

We know 3 Arlos between 6 and 18 months old, it's very popular right now, but no idea about the reason either

Only Arlo I can think of is from the Good Dinosaur film.

(And sorry, multi-quotes in a row!)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

That's why I said no!

I hate that word removed

:D 

I know what you mean.  It's a great idea (the small, weak one coming good etc) but they made him just too much of a wet blanket.

• Thanks 1

Â