Parenting Corner: The joys and trials of raising little Villans

Marka Ragnos

19 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

I hope all the little Villans are having a fantastic day. That they're loving their presents and keep their tantrums to a minimum. 

👍enjoy your little Villans, they soon become big Villans (if you do your job properly, shame on you if not) even though my pair are now 16 and 18 loved watching their excitement Opening Villa related gifts. Does not seen five minutes since my eldest’s first Christmas (was born in December) and listening on the radio that a wave had killed least a least a dozen people….

Edited by Follyfoot

2 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

I hope all the little Villans are having a fantastic day. That they're loving their presents and keep their tantrums to a minimum. 

The tantrumy two year old is at ours. She normally has the attention span of a gnat, but and watched the  Raymond Briggs Snowman and Father Christmas for the first time - and sat there totally enchanted. 

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The tantrumy two year old is at ours. She normally has the attention span of a gnat, but and watched the  Raymond Briggs Snowman and Father Christmas for the first time - and sat there totally enchanted. 

We've had 3 tantrums out of our 5 year old so far today. So worked up by all the excitement and still not 100% after getting scarlet fever.

He's watching the Snowman now too. Great film. 

• Like 2

Santa calm and did a stellar job, not that the little lad understands a bit of mom & dads nonsense, brought loads of stuff and stuff and this and that etc. etc...... and a proper size 1 football. Ran into it like a champ 💪 

• Like 3

The 7yo GD just asked me: "Grandpa - do you know the song 'Smoke on the Water'?" I started humming the riff, and she came in right on cue with a perfect "Tss-chka-chka-tss" vocalisation of Ian Paice's hi-hat part. Made me smile. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Having to wash someone else's shit out of my pubes is a low point in my life that I hope is never surpassed

@voinjama is that you? 

• Haha 2

I’ve had an interesting festive period. 

Jack was ill on Christmas Day. Fine in the morning but by the afternoon he had flu symptoms and couldn’t calm him down. Managed to put him to bed and he slept ok to be fair. 

But on Boxing Day he’d come out in a rash all over. Little clusters of spots. Hard to spot at first because he has eczema so thought it was just an aggravation of that but it was everywhere. Once I realised they were spots/blisters I thought it was chicken pox. 

Got him a badger appointment for that evening and they told us it was “Eczema Herpeticum” which can be pretty serious! Gave us a prescription for some antiviral medication. 

Next day I spent, legitimately, 5 hours driving around every pharmacy I could find trying to find someone with it in stock. Literally nobody had it. Boots checked with the manufacturer and they were out of stock until end of January. So now I had a kid with a serious condition with no medication available for a month. 

Next day got an emergency appointment at the GP to see if they could offer an alternative. Nurse practitioner looked at him and immediately said it wasn’t Eczema Herpeticum it was “just” hand foot and mouth. Gave us some cream and said it would go away in a few days. Which is exactly what happened. 

So he’s pretty much fine now. We just had a day of panic due to a wrong diagnosis. Which is annoying

• Sad 2

"glad" I wasn't the only one...

My daughter hadn't shit for 3 and half weeks, huge bloated belly, started being sick and moaning of belly pain so I phoned 111 at about 7am on the 24th, they said go to a Dr I obviously said I can't they're all shut so they said they'd put me on the 24 hour GP call back thing

They called me back when I was halfway through my first plate of Xmas dinner, said get to Worcester hospital so they can look at her properly and by the way waiting times are shite, I put the plate down and got in the car... 3 hours later I was back home (as I said in the Xmas thread the NHS were brilliant) with some super strength laxatives and the advice that she has to drink 1.3 litres per day! Which is nigh on impossible, stop when it is just brown water

I drove to Germany on the 27th...6 stops in Belgium so not that bad but I think we had 4 pairs of trousers ruined, 2 inadvertent hands full of shit (thankfully not on my pubes though...) and a day discussion of whether or not it classes as brown water

Thankfully it worked though, not a long term solution though I think it will come back so more Dr's trips coming up

• Like 2

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

My daughter hadn't shit for 3 and half weeks, huge bloated belly, started being sick and moaning of belly pain so I phoned 111 at about 7am on the 24th, they said go to a Dr I obviously said I can't they're all shut so they said they'd put me on the 24 hour GP call back thing

They called me back when I was halfway through my first plate of Xmas dinner, said get to Worcester hospital so they can look at her properly and by the way waiting times are shite, I put the plate down and got in the car... 3 hours later I was back home (as I said in the Xmas thread the NHS were brilliant) with some super strength laxatives and the advice that she has to drink 1.3 litres per day! Which is nigh on impossible, stop when it is just brown water

I drove to Germany on the 27th...6 stops in Belgium so not that bad but I think we had 4 pairs of trousers ruined, 2 inadvertent hands full of shit (thankfully not on my pubes though...) and a day discussion of whether or not it classes as brown water

Thankfully it worked though, not a long term solution though I think it will come back so more Dr's trips coming up

That's just bonkers, well done for handling that (no pun intended) especially while travelling. Surprised you didn't cancel.

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

We've got the opposite problem because of her short bowel syndrome, left to her own devices it just pours out so she's got a hefty dose of immodium to try and slow things down.

Usually does the trick, but covid and/or this winter flu has got us all and given her a tummy upset as well. I heard the telltale rumblings, and within seconds felt myself absolutely drenched from the waist down, between us it got through 4 layers of clothes. Just stood there in disbelief for a minute before shouting "I think this one might be a two person clean-up job, bring the mop..."

Just glad we were playing in my office with a wipe clean floor, if we were on the sofa I'd have had to take a flamethrower to it.

• Like 1

Tantrums update: 

I've already recounted horror stories of the non-napping, uncontrollable two year old. Well, she turns three on Saturday, and a miraculous transformation seems to have occurred. This was our first full week back on duty after Christmas, and we were mentally prepared for stress. It didn't happen. She's been delightful. Still not napping, but no meltdowns. Not one. Ate loads of food (without chucking it around), played with various toys and helped put them away afterwards. Sat still for storytime. And so on. Hopefully this wasn't a blip, and it carries on in the same vein. Especially as she's going to be a big sister in May. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Tantrums update: 

I've already recounted horror stories of the non-napping, uncontrollable two year old. Well, she turns three on Saturday, and a miraculous transformation seems to have occurred. This was our first full week back on duty after Christmas, and we were mentally prepared for stress. It didn't happen. She's been delightful. Still not napping, but no meltdowns. Not one. Ate loads of food (without chucking it around), played with various toys and helped put them away afterwards. Sat still for storytime. And so on. Hopefully this wasn't a blip, and it carries on in the same vein. Especially as she's going to be a big sister in May. 

Mine calmed down a fair bit too

But I thought that her tantrums started when she became a big sister so good luck with that!

Bouncing around Germany and England over Christmas it's also becoming increasingly common that not is she bilingual but she knows the difference between me and my wife! it's simple stuff but she'll ask me for food but her mom for essen, it's crazy cool and really natural which is the best bit

• Like 1

On 21/12/2022 at 12:25, Stevo985 said:

We're pretty good to be fair. We abide by the sleep training. So go in, lie him down and then leave again. And he generally falls asleep quickly. 

Leaving him just doesn't work. I've done an hour before. He just gets worse and worse

We we’ve never had issues with ours sleeping but we’ve always just had them in with us until they are comfortable sleeping through on their own. This idea of ‘sleep training’ is very different to how human families sleep in most of the world and throughout our species’ evolution. Little kids wake up because they are alone and scared, it’s just in their nature. This ‘sleep training’ seems to be a modern western thing to do to them to try and make them fit our modern lifestyles.

49 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Bouncing around Germany and England over Christmas it's also becoming increasingly common that not is she bilingual but she knows the difference between me and my wife! it's simple stuff but she'll ask me for food but her mom for essen, it's crazy cool and really natural which is the best bit

It's brilliant hearing my 2 year old switching seamlessly between Bulgarian and English. In a heartbeat, no stumbling over words. 

• Like 1

Â