Parenting Corner: The joys and trials of raising little Villans

Marka Ragnos

27 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I was getting on the monorail at Alton Towers last week with Mrs P and the two little Ps and we were joined in the carriage by an Asian bloke. Just as we were about to get off, my 4 year old pointed at the man and said quite loudly, "Look at that brown face!"

Mrs Ps reaction was to shush him, whilst I pretended I didn't hear and immediately asked him if he was looking forward to going on the Postman Pat ride (my son, not the man).

For some reason, he's obsessed with the colour of people's eyes, hair and clothes and they teach them about diversity at nursery. I don't think either of our reactions were particularly helpful, but equally, I'm not entirely sure what we should have said in that situation to be honest.

What a racist.

I bet @lapal_fan taught it him.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

I was getting on the monorail at Alton Towers last week with Mrs P and the two little Ps and we were joined in the carriage by an Asian bloke. Just as we were about to get off, my 4 year old pointed at the man and said quite loudly, "Look at that brown face!"

Mrs Ps reaction was to shush him, whilst I pretended I didn't hear and immediately asked him if he was looking forward to going on the Postman Pat ride (my son, not the man).

For some reason, he's obsessed with the colour of people's eyes, hair and clothes and they teach them about diversity at nursery. I don't think either of our reactions were particularly helpful, but equally, I'm not entirely sure what we should have said in that situation to be honest.

My daughter pre school was on the bus and an African gentleman got on. She announced louder than it should be, he’s a dark one. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Any tips for talking about death to a 4&1/2 year old?

He keeps asking about what happens if we die and where my dad is now he's dead. He also says he doesn't want to die.

I'm sure it's come from the kids at his pre-school talking about the father of one of the lads who passed (suicide :()

29 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

When my daughter was very young probably about 3 years old she asked me "where was I before I was born, like 10 years ago?"

“In my balls”

Next question

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

He keeps asking about what happens if we die and where my dad is now he's dead. He also says he doesn't want to die.

I'm sure it's come from the kids at his pre-school talking about the father of one of the lads who passed (suicide :()

Tricky one. I had that conversation recently, but it was with the 8 year old, which is a different level of understanding. 

Funnily enough, I can actually remember thinking about this when I was a little kid. I'd accepted the idea that people get old and die, but somehow I thought it only happened to other people. When it dawned on me that I would die too, it was a bit of a jolt. I was six. 

• Like 1

Tantrum update: the 'terrible twos' are a real thing. Since granddaughter #3 turned three, she's really calmed down. She still gets her angry/upset moments, especially when tired, but they now blow over quickly, instead of turning into full-blown meltdowns. And she's recently been presented with a new baby sister, which we feared might trigger serious jealousy, but it's been fine - she absolutely loves the new baby. Massive relief all round. 

Personally as a kid I took a lot of comfort that me and my loved ones would go to heaven.

I’d feel weird saying that to my kid now though given my stance on religion.  I dunno, maybe I could just put it down to another Father Christmas level white fib?

1 minute ago, Wainy316 said:

Personally as a kid I took a lot of comfort that me and my loved ones would go to heaven.

I’d feel weird saying that to my kid now though given my stance on religion.  I dunno, maybe I could just put it down to another Father Christmas level white fib?

Not for me. If they ask I tell them that nobody really knows, but some people believe in the heaven thing, which is a nice thought, if that's what they want. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Had a similar thing with my eldest, around the same age.  She just kept asking about death and what happens when you die - a lot of questions about "Daddy's Mummy" and so on.  We went down the route of saying no-one really knows what happens when you die, apart from that you might go to heaven.  She then asked a lot of questions such as "Is Daddy's Mummy in heaven?", "Will I go to heaven when I die?" etc, but having an "understanding" that something is there seemed to help her "understand" death and the questions have all gone away now (she's 5 and a half).

The whole religion thing can be dealt with down the line.

• Like 2

I guess it depends on whether you want to believe people have any sort of soul at any sort of level.

So, 1,  you can go down the pure science route and explain we started off as stars, then we’re born then we die, the worms crawl in and the worms crawl out, they crawl all over your chin and mouth, then we’re sort of base material again.

Or, 2, you can cop out and say nobody really knows.

Or 3, you can suggest some heaven / soul / starlight / living in our hearts and minds and love stuff. Several brands are available for this.

It strikes me the ‘don’t know’ middling version is a form of deflection rather than actual answer. I went for a blend of 1 and 3.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I guess it depends on whether you want to believe people have any sort of soul at any sort of level.

So, 1,  you can go down the pure science route and explain we started off as stars, then we’re born then we die, the worms crawl in and the worms crawl out, they crawl all over your chin and mouth, then we’re sort of base material again.

Or, 2, you can cop out and say nobody really knows.

Or 3, you can suggest some heaven / soul / starlight / living in our hearts and minds and love stuff. Several brands are available for this.

It strikes me the ‘don’t know’ middling version is a form of deflection rather than actual answer. I went for a blend of 1 and 3.

I enjoy that #2 is a cop out, when it's the only one which is actually true :D 

Â