Parenting Corner: The joys and trials of raising little Villans

Marka Ragnos

Martin Lewis covered this just now on his show, it’s doesn’t look like there’s any more hours for “all” (like the current 15 hours).

All of the increases which are staggered over the next 2.5 years are only “if eligible”. 

Mothers' Day. So we had an  ̶a̶n̶ ̶i̶n̶v̶a̶s̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶b̶y̶ a visit from both daughters and all three granddaughters - who promptly invited round the two little girls from next door, whom they are good mates with. Chaos ensued. They've all gone home now, and I need a beer. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So the youngest (nearly two) has a childhood illness called Slapped Face Syndrome. He’s been OK, bit of a rash, and diarrhoea. He’s passed it on to me though, and like most of these things, it’s a bit more unpleasant in adults. I’ve got aching joint like I’ve just run 3 marathons in a row. Not nice.

• Sad 4

• 2 weeks later...

Had our big first scare the other day with our lad, had a cough for a few days and didn't think much of it but then suddenly it turned quite nasty and he was wheezing and struggling to breath properly and went completely pale with a high temp. Straight to A&E and turns out it was severe croup and his blood oxygen levels were quite low. He had some steroid shot that sorted his breathing out a bit and is now on the mend thankfully. Still quite sick but no where near as bad. Apparently it's quite common at the minute so something to look out for for those with little ones. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Had our big first scare the other day with our lad, had a cough for a few days and didn't think much of it but then suddenly it turned quite nasty and he was wheezing and struggling to breath properly and went completely pale with a high temp. Straight to A&E and turns out it was severe croup and his blood oxygen levels were quite low. He had some steroid shot that sorted his breathing out a bit and is now on the mend thankfully. Still quite sick but no where near as bad. Apparently it's quite common at the minute so something to look out for for those with little ones. 

Our son had it when he was about 18 months and was hospitalised too. Horrible to hear them struggling for breath like that.

Hope he feels better soon.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Genie said:

@Davkaus how’s the little girl getting on now mate? 

More downs than ups to be honest, I try and keep a low profile on this topic so I'm not using it as my personal therapy thread :) She's 16 months now, but the size of a 6 month old (about 7.5kg). Socially she's bloody brilliant, a chatty little thing full of smiles without a care in the world as long as she's got someone to shout to or stick her tongue out at, but the physical limitations are becoming more and more clear As well as the bowel issues and needing a food pump, we're starting to see some of the motor impairments she's going to have though. No formal diagnosis yet, they're clinging to her just being delayed for as long as they can before making it official, but it's plain as day she's got cerebral palsy so we're just crossing our fingers it's as mild as possible; one arm and leg is noticeably more difficult for her to move, we're getting regular physio but there's no way she'll develop normally with those, we're just doing what we can to encourage her to use them and hoping she'll be able to walk.

Thing are kind of ok when we have a weekend at home, encouraging her to try and roll and reach for her toys, or take her to the park (she bloody loves being shoved down a slide :D ), but it's so **** demoralising when we take her to anything else with other kids her age, or, increasingly, even much younger kids that are her size. We went to a friend's party that was full of other kids who were in NICU with her, so these are still quite small kids with ongoing difficulties, and seeing her as the smallest, most restricted kid there while the younger kid who needs an oxygen tank was scampering around was kind of hard to take. We're getting her signed up to nursery after spending months trying to find one capable of supporting her needs, and I'm absolutely dreading it.

I think it's going to get harder before it gets better really, and there are a lot of really shit days, but she's defied the odds to do as well as she's done so we're hoping she keeps proving people wrong.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

More downs than ups to be honest, I try and keep a low profile on this topic so I'm not using it as my personal therapy thread :) She's 16 months now, but the size of a 6 month old (about 7.5kg). Socially she's bloody brilliant, a chatty little thing full of smiles without a care in the world as long as she's got someone to shout to or stick her tongue out at, but the physical limitations are becoming more and more clear As well as the bowel issues and needing a food pump, we're starting to see some of the motor impairments she's going to have though. No formal diagnosis yet, they're clinging to her just being delayed for as long as they can before making it official, but it's plain as day she's got cerebral palsy so we're just crossing our fingers it's as mild as possible; one arm and leg is noticeably more difficult for her to move, we're getting regular physio but there's no way she'll develop normally with those, we're just doing what we can to encourage her to use them and hoping she'll be able to walk.

Thing are kind of ok when we have a weekend at home, encouraging her to try and roll and reach for her toys, or take her to the park (she bloody loves being shoved down a slide :D ), but it's so **** demoralising when we take her to anything else with other kids her age, or, increasingly, even much younger kids that are her size. We went to a friend's party that was full of other kids who were in NICU with her, so these are still quite small kids with ongoing difficulties, and seeing her as the smallest, most restricted kid there while the younger kid who needs an oxygen tank was scampering around was kind of hard to take. We're getting her signed up to nursery after spending months trying to find one capable of supporting her needs, and I'm absolutely dreading it.

I think it's going to get harder before it gets better really, and there are a lot of really shit days, but she's defied the odds to do as well as she's done so we're hoping she keeps proving people wrong.

Thanks for the update mate, I have no idea which “reaction” to use but pleased things seem to be moving forwards albeit very slowly 👍

• 4 weeks later...
On 16/04/2023 at 15:25, Davkaus said:

I "liked" this but not sure it's an appropriate reaction, just felt like reacting somehow.

It sounds really tough mate. Glad you're taking the positives where you can, and I'm sure it'll all be worth it, but sounds like a tough road.

We're always here for you

• Thanks 1

Yesterday Jack got sent home from nursery.

No biggy, it's happened before when he's been poorly which obviously happens a lot at nursery!

But this time he wasn't poorly. It was because he was so clingy that they said they couldn't look after the other kids properly because he basically wouldn't let them put him down.

He's been teething really badly lately so he IS clingy at the moment because he's basically constantly in pain.

But am I right to be slightly pissed off by that?

He's a bit difficult at the moment but we pay thousands a month for him to be there, surely that's their job?

• Shocked 1

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yesterday Jack got sent home from nursery.

No biggy, it's happened before when he's been poorly which obviously happens a lot at nursery!

But this time he wasn't poorly. It was because he was so clingy that they said they couldn't look after the other kids properly because he basically wouldn't let them put him down.

He's been teething really badly lately so he IS clingy at the moment because he's basically constantly in pain.

But am I right to be slightly pissed off by that?

He's a bit difficult at the moment but we pay thousands a month for him to be there, surely that's their job?

We've had similar and it's really pissed me off so I'd say you have every right to feel that way. It costs a bomb to put them in Nursery, and our lad misses loads of days as it is through illness so I didn't appreciate them sending him home cos he needed a cuddle. 

I honestly question whether nursery is even worth it. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Thanks 1

Just now, PieFacE said:

We've had similar and it's really pissed me off so I'd say you have every right to feel that way. It costs a bomb to put them in Nursery, and our lad misses loads of days as it is through illness so I didn't appreciate them sending him home cos he needed a cuddle. 

I honestly question whether nursery is even worth it. 

He is quite a needy kid to be fair, so I get that he's more work than some of the other kids. But still.

I was at our Banbury office yesterday, so dropped him off at 7:30. Took me 1hr 40 to get to Banbury so sat down at my desk at about 9:15

10:30 they rang me so I had to go all the way back and get him and had to take the afternoon off.

I spent twice as long travelling to the office as I did in the office!
If he's poorly then that's totally fair enough. But the more I think about this one the more annoyed I am

• Like 1

The mystery of the ever-changing gender.

First we thought girl.

1st pre-natal scan, dr said likely boy.

Confirmed 2 weeks after with our private doctor

At 18 weeks, another check with our doctor, 100% girl.

2nd pre-natal scan, 100% boy.

So I guess??? it's a boy

But who knows.

• Like 1

Â