Calvin Bassey

Wes

We were linked with him about a week before the Europa Final, I had a look on the Rangers forum at that time, most of them seemed to think he was a much better left-back than he was a central defender, all the praise for him was centred around him being a left-back, and Gerrard himself is quoted as calling him a 'modern day lef-back', so whilst he might be able to fill in at centre-back, I think first and foremost we would be signing him as a backup left-back to challenge Digne.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

He didn’t play centre back under Gerrard which makes it more confusing link

I'm not sure that really matters tbh.   

2 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

Very limited sample size to base the excitement off.

Yep if one of the Feyenoord players has a great game tonight I will jump on the bandwagon to sign him :P 

Find it baffling everybody is talking about him as a backup to Mings and not Digne.

For me this would be a disaster as a CB, we'd be forced into selling Mings, our only leader outfield and such an important part of the club even if he's underappreciated. Ming's needs to become a backup himself or atleast have genuine competition. Chambers has done very well so far but Chambers & Bassey are not European CBs, if he's challenging Mings next year - Mings is starter guaranteed and that's not good for the club either.

So if we buy Bassey at CB, and buy a genuine starter to 'improve' on Mings we'll have lost a key part of our club that we just don't need to yet.

Buy a top CB (or young upcoming star) and gradually phase Mings out but keep his influence and leadership around for now. Buy a backup LB to deputise Digne. Bassey can be that player by all means (and that's exactly what he'd be signed as). Sell Hause either way.

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Like 1

The last defender we had from The Huns wasn't too bad, Carlos Cuellar. He was quite similar to Bassey, in that he could play down the centre or on the flank. If I remember correctly Cuellar built up quite a rapport with our supporters. Remember the wigs ?

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, sheepyvillian said:

The last defender we had from The Huns wasn't too bad, Carlos Cuellar. He was quite similar to Bassey, in that he could play down the centre or on the flank. If I remember correctly Cuellar built up quite a rapport with our supporters. Remember the wigs ?

Cuellar and Alpay, oh the memories :P

3 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

He built up a rapport and seemed like a good guy but he was a really poor player. He had no pace and one of the only Spanish players ever with zero technique

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

He built up a rapport and seemed like a good guy but he was a really poor player. He had no pace and one of the only Spanish players ever with zero technique

He was never a right back, only in the mind of Martin O'Neill was he capable of playing there. Was grand as cover at centre back though.

Bassey I'm not sure about, definitely interesting with his physical attributes. It might be wise to sign him and send him out somewhere on loan for a season as he possibly doesn't have enough experience built up for a club of our ambitions.

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

You don't get to that level in football without having some talent. I seen him put in a few decent performances at centre- half, not so much at right- back, but I've seen plenty worse defenders in claret and blue.

Â