Calvin Bassey

Wes

1 hour ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Don't give me another reason to find you annoying. 

FYI @Zatman, he mentioned a couple of weeks back that he is a Rangers fan so probably doesn't like being reminded of the fact that the club that he is a fan of lost a European final a few weeks back. Also probably doesn't like being reminded that the other club he supported up until 2012 lost the UEFA cup final in 2008.:P

Edited by sparrow1988
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

FYI @Zatman, he mentioned a couple of weeks back that he is a Rangers fan so probably doesn't like being reminded of the fact that the club that he is a fan of lost a European final a few weeks back. Also probably doesn't like being reminded that the other club he supported up until 2012 lost the UEFA cup final in 2008.

Not only very funny, also very original! Good work that man. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

FYI @Zatman, he mentioned a couple of weeks back that he is a Rangers fan so probably doesn't like being reminded of the fact that the club that he is a fan of lost a European final a few weeks back. Also probably doesn't like being reminded that the other club he supported up until 2012 lost the UEFA cup final in 2008.:P

Oh I knew that 😉

I am happy to say as much as I can how much I hate both Old Firm clubs and cheers me up everytime I mention it :D 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

He would get a big salary increase, which might persuade him. 

Yeah and some players are level headed to see the bigger picture as well to be fair.

Cup games etc.

Suspensions.

Plus he's just an injury away from a run in the team.

As well as convince him that we want him as a long term successor.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Yeah and some players are level headed to see the bigger picture as well to be fair.

Cup games etc.

Suspensions.

Plus he's just an injury away from a run in the team.

As well as convince him that we want him as a long term successor.

I’d add that anyone who comes here and isn’t an obvious starter, would see that as a challenge not a problem. We need a squad full of starters challenged as closely as possible by players in their position. A strong squad all over the pitch is very important with all the top clubs rotating most players, even those deemed to be world class.

With 5 subs this season and a World Cup mid season this makes it all the more important. The 11 man squad and a few utility players on the bench is long gone. 

• Like 1

I always think a long term successor isn't a very appealing proposition in football though? If this lad can get weekly games at a big club playing in Europe would that appeal more than having to wait for your turn in the team and playing alongside academy lads away to Oldham for your 3rd appearance of the season in January 

2 hours ago, StewieGriffin said:

I don't see him leaving Rangers to be back up to Digne and Mings

Why not? He’s 21 and we’re a club with aspirations of Europe. He’d be one for the future. Where’s he going to go and automatically start?

10 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Why not? He’s 21 and we’re a club with aspirations of Europe. He’d be one for the future. Where’s he going to go and automatically start?

He played in a European final this year at a club he automatically starts for.

He would be an automatic starter at a lot of clubs, and could potentially join a better positioned club than us as a back-up option, both Chelsea and Bayern have been linked.

I'm starting to think we would actually have a better chance of signing Hickey, as we could probably offer him more minutes given he can play either left-back or right-back, Bassey I don't think would even be considered as a central defence option for us unless we had a lot of injuries, Konsa, Mings, Chambers, and Carlos will all be ahead of him.

If he was to sign it would have to be purely as back-up to Digne.

I doubt we will sign either Bassey or Hickey, Sergio Gomez or someone of a similar age profile to him more likely.

3 hours ago, Tom13 said:

The more I see this thread title the more I think it's more of a DJ's name.

You're not far wrong. 

Calvin Bassey is the brother of English rapper Y.CB, real name Matthew Bassey, who makes music under UK drill group 7th.

Wikipedia

• Shocked 1

24 minutes ago, skarroki said:

I always think a long term successor isn't a very appealing proposition in football though? If this lad can get weekly games at a big club playing in Europe would that appeal more than having to wait for your turn in the team and playing alongside academy lads away to Oldham for your 3rd appearance of the season in January 

Well this is why we haven't appointed you to give the facials.

Terrible!

😂

15 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

He played in a European final this year at a club he automatically starts for.

I don’t care, it’s Rangers!  I’m sure we’ll pay him a lot more money. 

If he is that good he will leave but let’s see if wherever he goes he is an automatic stater.

edit: when I say when does the future, I’m talking in a season !

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

12 minutes ago, useless said:

I doubt we will sign either Bassey or Hickey, Sergio Gomez or someone of a similar age profile to him more likely.

Ian Maatsen was an interesting suggestion by me back in January Here

Edited by useless

The Premier League has a habit of finding out players who star in their own lesser leagues.

Calvin Bassey appears to have the physicality and aggression that we've lacked in the past, but does he have the 90 minute stamina to move that big frame around?

His technique seems solid for a muscular guy and his pace is excellent by the look of video clips. I guess our scouts (and scouting room) will have been working overtime on checking him out, because character and attitude are key attributes to Gerrard's "project".

If we are interested in him, he will have to be sold the wider picture which will see him used as a cover/sub initially. The use of five subs this coming season should make the PL bench a slightly more attractive place.

I see an opportunity in some matches to push Digne up to left midfield at some stage in the game when we could benefit from his pinpoint crossing,(he was effective for Everton in this position two seasons ago).  Bassey could be brought on to sit in behind him as LB without weakening the system at all.

I'll watch this one with patient interest.

• Like 1

Â