Calvin Bassey

Wes

24 minutes ago, catanzaro said:

I should clarify.. I’m trying to understand what type of player he is.. I’m not expecting him or want him to play in midfield.. is he  the type of player who might have the capacity to play elsewhere other than LB or CB

He has physical presence, so thats a start.

• Thanks 1

Offload Hause for 7m and add that to the 15m from Targett and that will be about what we would pay for Bassey. Add it that his wages would be less than the combined wages of Targett and Hause and there is a lot to like about this deal from a financial perspective. From a player perspective, he is hard, young, versatile and has lots of potential and a fair bit of experience.  Gerrard bought him before and has worked with him so this transfer looks like a very good fit for Villa

• Like 2

I'd be surprised if this signing happened, his stock has risen to such a degree that if he's going to move from Rangers it's probably going to be to go somewhere to be first choice, and we aren't going to sign him to replace Digne, he can play central defence but isn't going to get into our back two ahead of Carlos, Mings, or Konsa, so would be at best fourth choice in that position.

Edited by useless

6 minutes ago, useless said:

I'd be surprised if this signing happened, his stock has risen to such a degree that if he's going to move from Rangers it's probably going to be to go somewhere to be first choice, and we aren't going to sign him to replace Digne, he can play central defence but isn't going to get into our back two ahead of Carlos, Mings, or Konsa, so would be at best fourth choice in that position.

Carlos Cueller 2.0

Just now, The Fun Factory said:

And perhaps played out of position as Cueller ended often at RB if I recall

Fair to say Bassey can and has played both LB & CB to a high standard. Cuellar didn't ever play RB prior to his arrival.

Bassey far better technically than Cuellar as well as being much quicker and more athletic. 

15 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Because they both would be signed from Rangers? 

Both lost a European final too after earning rave reviews 😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

Edited by Zatman

11 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Fair to say Bassey can and has played both LB & CB to a high standard. Cuellar didn't ever play RB prior to his arrival.

Bassey far better technically than Cuellar as well as being much quicker and more athletic. 

I’ve only recently watched the kid, in the Europa League final and the Scottish Cup final. I’ve got to say I was impressed on both occasions. Power, strength, speed and plenty of ability too. Mind you I had high hopes for David Geddis when he signed for us on the strength of the FA Cup final. I suppose I’ve “scouted” Shirley in twice as many games though. 

Just now, DaveAV1 said:

I’ve only recently watched the kid, in the Europa League final and the Scottish Cup final. I’ve got to say I was impressed on both occasions. Power, strength, speed and plenty of ability too. Mind you I had high hopes for David Geddis when he signed for us on the strength of the FA Cup final. I suppose I’ve “scouted” Shirley in twice as many games though. 

He is by no means the finished article. He can be quite rash in his decision making--dives in at times and positionally can improve. 

Bags of potential though, he has come on leaps and bounds in the last 12 months and has loads of room for further improvement. A really hard worker and great attitude too.

1 minute ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

He is by no means the finished article. He can be quite rash in his decision making--dives in at times and positionally can improve. 

Bags of potential though, he has come on leaps and bounds in the last 12 months and has loads of room for further improvement. A really hard worker and great attitude too.

He sounds the kind of player that would fit in and grow with the team. I’d imagine, given that SG knows him we are very interested but the sticking point is the fee for a player with bags of potential but as yet unfulfilled. If he develops well then £25m is reasonable, if he doesn’t, then ouch! 

Rangers don’t want to lose him but probably feel that there’s an inevitability about it, if not to us then another PL team. They’ll see it as a chance to fund their summer transfers. Unfortunately for them we’re not the pushover we used to be. 

I can see him coming here but for a lower initial fee with add ons, such as a sell on clause. 

Just as an additional thought, can Digne play at RB? If so he could cover RB and Shirley covers Digne. 

Just now, DaveAV1 said:

He sounds the kind of player that would fit in and grow with the team. I’d imagine, given that SG knows him we are very interested but the sticking point is the fee for a player with bags of potential but as yet unfulfilled. If he develops well then £25m is reasonable, if he doesn’t, then ouch! 

Rangers don’t want to lose him but probably feel that there’s an inevitability about it, if not to us then another PL team. They’ll see it as a chance to fund their summer transfers. Unfortunately for them we’re not the pushover we used to be. 

I can see him coming here but for a lower initial fee with add ons, such as a sell on clause. 

Just as an additional thought, can Digne play at RB? If so he could cover RB and Shirley covers Digne. 

£25mill is too high, in my opinion. He's just had a fantastic Europa League campaign against quality opposition, so his stock is unlikely to ever be higher. Only 2 years left on his contract, so could maybe wait another year and reassess then--he could probably do with another year in Scotland too to develop. 

Likely he will play 99% of games at LB next season if he stays at Rangers too.

1 minute ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

£25mill is too high, in my opinion. He's just had a fantastic Europa League campaign against quality opposition, so his stock is unlikely to ever be higher. Only 2 years left on his contract, so could maybe wait another year and reassess then--he could probably do with another year in Scotland too to develop. 

Likely he will play 99% of games at LB next season if he stays at Rangers too.

I think you're right, especially on the valuation. I’d imagine the club agree, so whilst I think there’s genuine interest it will only happen if Rangers lower their expectations. I didn’t know he only had 2 years left on his contract, that swings negotiations in our favour. 

24 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Must admit i'd never heard of the guy until the final..

He looked okay, quick and strong but caught out positionally a few times...

A raw player perhaps, would he be happy as a squad player?

In addition I did think his recovery from those positional lapses was very good and he looked strong in the tackle.

Â