Calvin Bassey

Wes

1 minute ago, sheepyvillian said:

You don't get to that level in football without having some talent. I seen him put in a few decent performances at centre- half, not so much at right- back, but I've seen plenty worse defenders in claret and blue.

Of course has been worse defenders but we paid 8 million for him 14 years ago which was a lot of money for us at the time. Probably top 5 transfer fees of the Lerner era

He just wasnt good especially at a time when Spain were playing tiki taki and our Spanish player couldnt trap a ball

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Of course has been worse defenders but we paid 8 million for him 14 years ago which was a lot of money for us at the time. Probably top 5 transfer fees of the Lerner era

He just wasnt good especially at a time when Spain were playing tiki taki and our Spanish player couldnt trap a ball

I don't recall Martin O'Neill demanding tiki taki from his defenders, quite the opposite in fact . He was no frills, but he gave his all and didn't shirk a challenge. Not the greatest, I accept, but certainly not the worse. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

He was never a right back, only in the mind of Martin O'Neill was he capable of playing there. Was grand as cover at centre back though.

Bassey I'm not sure about, definitely interesting with his physical attributes. It might be wise to sign him and send him out somewhere on loan for a season as he possibly doesn't have enough experience built up for a club of our ambitions.

I know he’s only 22 and plays in a league not as good as the PL, but he was MOTM in the Europa League final. That would suggest that he has the attributes to be a decent player at any level. We’re certainly not buying him for big money to send out on loan. We’re not at that level, I’m not sure even Chelsea pay that much for players to loan out. 

2 hours ago, troon_villan said:

Not me, I live in Glasgow and follow Rangers to an extent. Seen plenty of the lad.

Yes they rate him up here. I mentioned that we were interested in him to a pal of mine,who’s a big Rangers fan. His response was, “£100m and he’s yours. I watched him in the recent two finals and whilst I think his valuation is a little north of what we’d be offering, he’s got plenty of the attributes, bags of pace, power and physical structure that could make him a big player for us in the future. I’m in. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

He didn’t play centre back under Gerrard which makes it more confusing link

Watkins didn't play as a striker under Smith either, didn't stop us bringing him in

• Like 1

With no data available on Fbref, don’t suppose there’s any other type of analytics floating around about him? Other than WhoScored. 

As backup left back, I think he interests me more than Hickey, not sure about as centre half though. 

Only seen him a few times, but he does seem to have something about him. I’m quite wary of buying from the SPL, which is pathetically snobby, I know. 

56 minutes ago, Rich192 said:

With no data available on Fbref, don’t suppose there’s any other type of analytics floating around about him? Other than WhoScored. 

As backup left back, I think he interests me more than Hickey, not sure about as centre half though. 

Only seen him a few times, but he does seem to have something about him. I’m quite wary of buying from the SPL, which is pathetically snobby, I know. 

More than Hickey? He's meant to be very good.

3 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

I see you said Diego Carlos is looking done as well - do you think we are signing both?

He thinks saying deals are done is funny for some reason.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

The last defender we had from The Huns wasn't too bad, Carlos Cuellar. He was quite similar to Bassey, in that he could play down the centre or on the flank. If I remember correctly Cuellar built up quite a rapport with our supporters. Remember the wigs ?

Cuellar was put on the flank by O'Neill but he definitely couldn't play there. He was awful at right back. According to transfermarkt he played 13 games at RB in his 440 game career. Guess the club at which he played 11 of those games. I thought that he was decent enough at CB but was often played out of position and misused here.

Bassey is a LB primarily and is only playing CB with us because our other 2 CB’s are injury prone. He is much more effective out wide. He’s got bags of tricks and pace to burn and his crossing is brilliant. He’s the perfect full back for Gerrards system. 

to the poster calling us “Huns” away and boil yer heid. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Â