Calvin Bassey

Wes

38 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

Absolutely.   That's why this link is odd because on one hand it could be obvious bullshit (transfer silly season is well and truly upon us) and because lots of people saw Bassey have a good game and lots of people know Villa have a bit of money to spend and are prepared to move early then this is the perfect link to gain clicks, yet on the other if anybody knows Calvin Bassey then it's his former manager Steven Gerrard.    If he doesn't rate Mings and wants to buy a left footed centre half who used to be a full back then, well, 2+2 I guess. 

He didn’t play centre back under Gerrard which makes it more confusing link

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I was thinking alongaide mings. Hause isnt good enough. Chambers was good but still im not 100% convinced he can start week in and week out

Links show we want to sign an experienced CB aswell this summer so can't see Bassey potentially starting over Tarkowski or someone with that profile from abroad.

Will be interesting.

I said a few weeks back I didn't want to touch defence too much...but then last 15 minutes v Man. City happen and that puts doubt in Gerrard's mind as to what they're all like backs to the wall v very good opposition so he probably wants to freshen things up and Konsa injury given him a bit more scope to do it.

Bassey in and Hause out I think. Agree with a previous post about breaking him in slowly a la Konsa. Could potentially displace Mings in a season or two.

Mings would also be a great mentor for the lad

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Because Charlie Nicholas said it?

We will be relegated if he is starting next season over Mings

No because he looks better than hause and chambers

And no to your 1st question 

Bassey would have to adapt to the premier league ,IMO he is not ready yet

If you have ever watched him play for rangers he is a very "hands on" player and not in a good way.

He gets away with holding, Barging and grabbing players  shirts and a lot of shit-housery because VAR does not exist up north

If he signed for us he would be sent off within 5 mins

7 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

If you have ever watched him play for rangers he is a very "hands on" player and not in a good way.

He gets away with holding, Barging and grabbing players  shirts and a lot of shit-housery because VAR does not exist up north

VAR exists in the Europa league and he was never sent off.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

As someone who grew up in a Villa/Rangers household (I watch both teams every week)--I can say this has been a massive break through season for Bassey. He was moved to CB when Gio came in and has really excelled, still often covers at LB too. 

Strong, quick, technically decent, committed and extremely hard working. Bags more potential to fill, by far no means the finished article. 

Talk of the fee being higher than what Everton paid for Patterson, so would be close to the £20mill mark.

Having watched him more than I have (I’ve only really watched Europa and Old Firm matches), do you think he is worth £20m? I think he is, but you would have a more informed opinion than I.

1 minute ago, Woody1000 said:

Having watched him more than I have (I’ve only really watched Europa and Old Firm matches), do you think he is worth £20m? I think he is, but you would have a more informed opinion than I.

Umm, I would say yes based on the potential and when I compare with Patterson and Ajer who have left the Scottish league recently for similar amounts. Likely to be £15m with add ons, I'd imagine. 

He can be quite frantic and indecisive at times, rash in his decision making but that's due to his age and the fact it's his first season playing CB. Certainly would be a squad player and not a starter. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

That's just ridiculous 🤣🤣

• Thanks 1

Â