Diego Carlos

PaulMcGrath_5

First time yesterday I properly saw his pace and strength.

If Torres starts, I think you need someone quick alongside him. Carlos or Konsa can be that dude. 

A top class right back in the summer (I think we’ll have two new fullbacks next season) and we’ll cook. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

First time yesterday I properly saw his pace and strength.

If Torres starts, I think you need someone quick alongside him. Carlos or Konsa can be that dude. 

A top class right back in the summer (I think we’ll have two new fullbacks next season) and we’ll cook. 

Agreed about the right back. If we can to the position we have on the left side, where one is an experienced solid defender and the other offers more attacking options, that would be great. A natural right back would also help Diego or Konsa by giving them confidence that they will not be exposed down that side when play central. (ooh err misses!)

My opinion is Torres also looks less exposed when Digne plays. One thing that does puzzle me with Torres is his aversion to play the ball down the left wing, he always turns inside and goes central of the full diagonal ball.

Nice problems to have when we get clear of the epidemic of injuries.

5 minutes ago, Lochheads twin said:

My opinion is Torres also looks less exposed when Digne plays. One thing that does puzzle me with Torres is his aversion to play the ball down the left wing, he always turns inside and goes central of the full diagonal ball.

Thats exactly why Emery loves Pau. Any defender can play the ball down the line which is what we have been used to over the last 20 years. Pau is looking for that ball into the midfield to get us on the half turn and then break.  I have my doubts about him occasionally but yesterday was like Man City at home. He found his man so often . Its very rare to find a player who can do eye of the needle 30 yd passes.  With Tielemans we bought 2 in one summer. Great recruitment

Edited by MWARLEY2

14 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Thats exactly why Emery loves Pau. Any defender can play the ball down the line which is what we have been used to over the last 20 years. Pau is looking for that ball into the midfield to get us on the half turn and then break.  I have my doubts about him occasionally but yesterday was like Man City at home. He found his man so often . Its very rare to find a player who can do eye of the needle 30 yd passes.  With Tielemans we bought 2 in one summer. Great recruitment

My concern is it’s never played down the line. It’s always turn inside. The opposition will put him under more pressure unless he mixes it up.

agreed about Tielemans. What a job he and SJM did yesterday.

• Like 1

Great to hear all the plaudits he has been getting in the media today. Lots of praise on MOTD2 as well.

29 minutes ago, jim said:

Great to hear all the plaudits he has been getting in the media today. Lots of praise on MOTD2 as well.

He looked so switched on in that MOTD2 analysis. One step ahead of everyone.

The good thing about Diego is that he has so much experience that it doesn't matter that he played like James Collins last match, he ends up being Sergio Ramos the next one.

In one ear and out the other.

Edited by DJBOB
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

There's just no way Torres doesn't play in that defence with this manager. 

Correct.

He's by far our best Centreback

• Like 1

Held my tongue on here last week because I thought the comments of his performance were a joke to be honest, he became the scapegoat and it was totally uncalled for. 

Yesterday, he made a few of you eat a bit of humble pie. 

I love the bloke, he's not perfect but when he's on it, we don't have a better CB at this club. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

His passing from the back is better than Konsa's i think that is why Emery picks him there. 

I think , and always have done, that he was a good signing

I remember reading that statistic too and forgot about it...

Carlos has the second highest Pass Accuracy at 90%, Lenglet has 91%.

Kamara and Luiz both tied at 89%, Torres at 88%.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/aston-villa/top-scorers/assists

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DJBOB said:

The good thing about Diego is that he has so much experience that it doesn't matter that he played like James Collins last match, he ends up being Sergio Ramos the next one.

In one ear and out the other.

Will be some player if he finds some consistency.

Â