Luis Suarez

maqroll

Just now, Keyblade said:

Right. There's particular venom behind the word for Americans I've noticed.

Well, we've undermined the whole region for a century, we've earned it!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Saying it to a French guy of African descent, one you are involved in a heated rivalry with, is quite a bit different from saying it to your own Uruguayan friend (the way it's used over there). It was pretty obvious he was being inflammatory, just like Terry was. I think in his case he was more trying to get under Evra's skin as opposed to Terry who had an uncontrolled outburst.

He was trying to get under Evra's skin but I don't think it was by being overtly racist. I think he was sarcastically treating Evra like a friend of his by calling him that. Its like sarcastically going "hey pal, what's wrong" when you've clearly done something to annoy them. It wasn't the race element of it that was intended to be inflammatory, it was the sarcasm element.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

If you're expressing superiority to somebody based on a characteristic beyond their control, there's no moral difference to me if it's because they're white, black, female or bald. 

Not that it matters, Suarez has played in plenty of dressing rooms then and since and we've never heard a peep of trouble from within them. If it makes somebody uncomfortable personally, fair enough. 

So if he signs for us he wasn't in fact a racist but just misunderstood but if he signs for Newcastle or anyone else he was a racist and will always be.

Seems about right.

My real issue with him still remains the on field performance in the 21/22 season which was a real cause for concern.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

He was trying to get under Evra's skin but I don't think it was by being overtly racist. I think he was sarcastically treating Evra like a friend of his by calling him that. Its like sarcastically going "hey pal, what's wrong" when you've clearly done something to annoy them. It wasn't the race element of it that was intended to be inflammatory, it was the sarcasm element.

You think he was treating him like a friend? 

Seriously?

39 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

Yeah he did, he was caught on camera saying it as well if I remember correctly. After that there was no other incident, well not to my knowledge.  If anything you could say Terrys had more malicious intent behind it in comparison to Suarez. 

All incidents of this type are regretful....and unacceptable, but invariably are aimed a victim, in an attempt to hurt them, on the spur of the moment.....as opposed to having an indepth racist hatred, applied to everyone.

There are no mitigating circumstances, but I do believe an element of perspective needs to be applied.

We must find it in our hearts to forgive....when the incidents are not repeated and folk apologise.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CVByrne said:

I suppose the best way to think about what Suarez brings on top of his vast experience and the added profile he will bring to the club. It's thinking about the teams we've failed to break down because of their low block.

This is the precise reason I'd love to go for somebody like Edinson Cavani. There are few players in the world who do it better than he does, both getting himself in position to score, and opening space for teammates to do so.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

All incidents of this type are regretful....and unacceptable, but invariably are aimed a victim, in an attempt to hurt them, on the spur of the moment.....as opposed to having an indepth racist hatred, applied to everyone.

There are no mitigating circumstances, but I do believe an element of perspective needs to be applied.

We must find it in our hearts to forgive....when the incidents are not repeated and folk apologise.

I think that's bullshit. 

• Sad 1

51 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

If you're expressing superiority to somebody based on a characteristic beyond their control, there's no moral difference to me if it's because they're white, black, female or bald. 

Not that it matters, Suarez has played in plenty of dressing rooms then and since and we've never heard a peep of trouble from within them. If it makes somebody uncomfortable personally, fair enough. 

This is fair enough but too many fans talking for our players, Mings in particular.  I’d like to think the signing would be discussed with players such as Mings before it happened. Especially as he is our club captain.  I’d be surprised if it wasn’t. 

2 hours ago, VillaHatesMe said:

This is the precise reason I'd love to go for somebody like Edinson Cavani. There are few players in the world who do it better than he does, both getting himself in position to score, and opening space for teammates to do so.

I'd 100% go for Cavani over Suarez but apparently he's leaving England.

7 minutes ago, Adman said:

He's got a year left hasn't he, and bayern want to keep him

Yes. He's just said he won't sign a new contract.  So they can either pay hardball with the fee they demand, and then use him for one more season, or get what they want for him. 

The goals he scores are probably worth a lot more to them for even one season, than most clubs would be prepared to pay.

He'll probably be happy either way as would mean he gets a massive signing on fee next year, but still gets to play top level/ champions league football for another year. Probably risking his security a bit though,  a long term injury ruins his final payday. 

Edited by MrBlack

Â