Luis Suarez

maqroll

I've been really reluctant to get involved in this debate because of my own background and discussing topics around race at times gets really tiring for me, but I will say this without trying to insert my personal feelings into it so much...

I do think there could be a bit of a concern with some of our players in regards to his racist incident I do see @Zatman point, I'm sure some of them could feel a way about the signing. Likewise some of our fans will feel a way (not like clubs care that much about fan opinions). However, like a few have said he hasn't had another racist incident since that time and you could make an argument it was an isolated incident it hasn't been reported that he had a repeat incident. Maybe due to language/cultural barrier he may think that it was ok to use that word up till that point. I know he's a professional footballer, but with his upbringing he may have thought it was ok to refer to black people in that way. I'm not excusing him for it because he was old enough to know better, but that also could play a role in why he said what he said.

11 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

I've been really reluctant to get involved in this debate because of my own background and discussing topics around race at times gets really tiring for me, but I will say this without trying to insert my personal feelings into it so much...

I do think there could be a bit of a concern with some of our players in regards to his racist incident I do see @Zatman point, I'm sure some of them could feel a way about the signing. Likewise some of our fans will feel a way (not like clubs care that much about fan opinions). However, like a few have said he hasn't had another racist incident since that time and you could make an argument it was an isolated incident it hasn't been reported that he had a repeat incident. Maybe due to language/cultural barrier he may think that it was ok to use that word up till that point. I know he's a professional footballer, but with his upbringing he may have thought it was ok to refer to black people in that way. I'm not excusing him for it because he was old enough to know better, but that also could play a role in why he said what he said.

Didn't John Terry have an issue, with the subject too....and that was played out before he arrived with us......No incidents to my knowledge on our watch.

The only reason I'd want him here is because he's a driven winner. Sometimes that translates as being an arsehole, but that's what we desperately need. 

I didn't like Gattuso, but I'd bloody love someone like him in our squad

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mister_a said:

The only reason I'd want him here is because he's a driven winner. Sometimes that translates as being an arsehole, but that's what we desperately need. 

I didn't like Gattuso, but I'd bloody love someone like him in our squad

Genuine question(s).

What makes him a driven winner?

What's the difference between a driven winner and a very good player?

Are there many examples of driven winners who aren't very good players?

Edited by Tomaszk

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

Genuine question.

What makes him a driven winner?

What's the difference between a driven winner and a very good player?

Are there many examples of driven winners who aren't very good players?

It's really hard to quantify, isn't it. 

It's that desire to win at all costs, to push through to the end to grab your team by the scruff of the neck and demand more. 

We're currently weak as piss and it shows in our capitulations this season. We need more players who can turn draws into wins, grab late goals etc etc. 

18 minutes ago, TRO said:

Didn't John Terry have an issue, with the subject too....and that was played out before he arrived with us......No incidents to my knowledge on our watch.

Yeah he did, he was caught on camera saying it as well if I remember correctly. After that there was no other incident, well not to my knowledge.  If anything you could say Terrys had more malicious intent behind it in comparison to Suarez. 

• Like 1

Just now, Laughable Chimp said:

After reading about this incident more, I genuinely don't think he's a racist for it. Considering Suarez's reputation and other controversies, I thought it would've been some proper racist stuff.

But no, all he said was essentially "why black guy" sarcastically to Evra. Except apparently calling someone a black guy or negro just doesn't have the same derogatary implications in Uruguay. I'd imagine it's like calling someone "big guy", it's purely descriptive. Tbh, I think John Terry's incident was worse.

Saying it to a French guy of African descent, one you are involved in a heated rivalry with, is quite a bit different from saying it to your own Uruguayan friend (the way it's used over there). It was pretty obvious he was being inflammatory, just like Terry was. I think in his case he was more trying to get under Evra's skin as opposed to Terry who had an uncontrolled outburst.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

Saying it to a French guy of African descent, one you are involved in a heated rivalry with, is quite a bit different from saying it to your own Uruguayan friend (the way it's used over there). It was pretty obvious he was being inflammatory, just like Terry was. I think in his case he was more trying to get under Evra's skin as opposed to Terry who had an uncontrolled outburst.

I wonder, is "gringo" a deregatory racial slur?

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

There's no race involved, so I don't see how it can be. It is meant to be insulting to Americans though.

Doesn't it imply anyone who is not latin American, local? Isn't that racial? 

48 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

"Negrito" is the diminutive/familiar/affectionate of "Negro" (black) in Spanish and used commonly throughout Spanish speaking Latin America. 

I personally think it is a term that needs retiring for all the obvious uncomfortable reasons. 

But I don't think it was used maliciously by Suarez.

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

There's no race involved, so I don't see how it can be. It is meant to be insulting to Americans though.

Gringo is anyone (usually white but not always) not from Latin America. An Englishman in Mexico is also a Gringo.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Gringo is anyone (usually white but not always) not from Latin America. An Englishman in Mexico is also a Gringo.

Right. There's particular venom behind the word for Americans I've noticed.

Â