James Tarkowski

HalfTimePost

I think Tarkowski would improve us a bit but not enough and to move up 6-7 positions in the league next season to the positions we want to be in I think we need a significant improvement. Tarkowski would only be marginally better than what we have IMO and he's just been relegated with Burnley. I'm also not a fan of signing players that are getting on and have only ever played in a low block team. 

Whether we could get Botman or Saliba (or someone of that quality) I don't know, but I'm not sure Tarkowski would be worth the extortionate wages to only bring incremental improvement to a side that needs to improve drastically next season. But I may be wrong on that. 

I'm sure there are 'better' options than this guy for that position, but the key for me is getting the balance of the transfer window right - and free transfers help massively with that. We can't have a top level player in every position (well, not for a few years).

If Tarkowski joined on a free, and it means that we could (for example) sell on Hause for £10m, then the net spend difference with this approach compared to (say) Botman is maybe £50m - which we can put towards another position - which might be the Konsa replacement. If this means we have Chambers and Tarkowski as our back-ups - that sounds a lot better than Axel and Hause, as these 2 would genuinely push for a starting position. 
Plus we have Bogarde, Swinkels and Feeney coming through, and if they are as highly thought of as rumours say, then someone at 29, and on a free, might be the perfect bridge for them - and the club saves a fortune. 
At some point very soon, we have to start balancing FFP the right way, rather than being on the edge all the time.

Edited by Pez1974
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I never realised he was signed from Brentford.

You're right, they place emphasis on ball playing skills there so you'd think he has the know how.

He played under Smith at Brentford 

32 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

He'd instantly add a lot to our defence. He's also a great leader. I can see a lot of positives to this deal. 

It would also be extremely satisfying knowing we've signed two very good players in Kamara and Tarkowski for....£0. (signing on fees/wages aside)

Yeah if you just look at it vs our current team. He's far more experienced and a better defender than Konsa. He also brings leadership qualities and a big personality to the team and dressing room. We can debate what different CBs we would prefer to sign but Tarkowski improves our first team, no question about that.

Good player, but we've already got a physically imposing "stopper" in Tyrone Mings.   I get that Tarkowski plays on the other side but do we need two such similarly skilled centre halves?  I always figured that the thing to do was have two players who compliment each other, much like we all agreed Mings and Konsa did last season.    Would we be targeting a player like Tarkowski because we need someone of his ability and style, or is it just because he's out of contract and Burnley are down? 

I think the criteria for CBs will be ball players with a little more pace that can move the ball out quickly out to the full backs or deep midfield to build attacking plays. Tarkowski is a lazy link at this point. I don’t think he’s on our radar as much as is being made out. I don’t doubt we scouted him, but I don’t think he’s a priority signing at all. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Weak at passing?  He's virtually a Villa player already.  I'm sold.

Outside of Kourtney, we are pretty weak at Aerial duels imo.

It's a gripe I have with Tyrone, he should be much better in this regard due to his size.

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Fair play, had no clue!

For some reason I thought Burnley signed him from abroad!

Thats a new thing at Burnley them exotic foreigners

Probably who they are blaming for relegation 

41 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I think Tarkowski would improve us a bit but not enough and to move up 6-7 positions in the league next season to the positions we want to be in I think we need a significant improvement. Tarkowski would only be marginally better than what we have IMO and he's just been relegated with Burnley. I'm also not a fan of signing players that are getting on and have only ever played in a low block team. 

Whether we could get Botman or Saliba (or someone of that quality) I don't know, but I'm not sure Tarkowski would be worth the extortionate wages to only bring incremental improvement to a side that needs to improve drastically next season. But I may be wrong on that. 

Agreed, if we are signing another right aided CB, they need to be a massive Juno in quality, otherwise we might as well stick with what we've got.

I already like Chambers, so it would almost be a disservice to sign a CB which is a questionable improvement.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

We were only 7 points off 6 places ahead of us, so avoiding the horrendous start we had at the start of last season, I’d absolutely expect us to make up those 7 points without even buying anyone. 

• Like 1

The load on Mings needs to be lightened one way or another, so getting a dominant aerial player is a way to do that - we don't just have to look at it from the perspective of getting a player comfy on the ball. 

• Like 1

ugh I just want last seasons Ezri Konsa back. At one point he was one of the first names on the teamsheet for me. Need to be doing all we can to help him recapture the form that had us calling for him to be called up for England

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

The load on Mings needs to be lightened one way or another, so getting a dominant aerial player is a way to do that - we don't just have to look at it from the perspective of getting a player comfy on the ball. 

If the load is on Mings it may mean we are keeping clean sheets

42 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

I'm sure there are 'better' options than this guy for that position, but the key for me is getting the balance of the transfer window right - and free transfers help massively with that. We can't have a top level player in every position (well, not for a few years).

If Tarkowski joined on a free, and it means that we could (for example) sell on Hause for £10m, then the net spend difference with this approach compared to (say) Botman is maybe £50m - which we can put towards another position - which might be the Konsa replacement. If this means we have Chambers and Tarkowski as our back-ups - that sounds a lot better than Axel and Hause, as these 2 would genuinely push for a starting position. 
Plus we have Bogarde, Swinkels and Feeney coming through, and if they are as highly thought of as rumours say, then someone at 29, and on a free, might be the perfect bridge for them - and the club saves a fortune. 
At some point very soon, we have to start balancing FFP the right way, rather than being on the edge all the time.

Not specifically directed at you but i find it strange that people think getting a player on a free is that much better than on a transfer.

The Agent of that player will know what his player is roughly worth and charge that in a signing on bonus because that's what teams would be willing to pay to get that player.

2 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

ugh I just want last seasons Ezri Konsa back. At one point he was one of the first names on the teamsheet for me. Need to be doing all we can to help him recapture the form that had us calling for him to be called up for England

He flattered to deceive as he had an easy job next to Mings, who was doing the majority of the work. We need someone who can offer more. 

Â