James Tarkowski

HalfTimePost

Surprising if it's true, I'm not sure he's the step up we'd be expecting if we're strengthening at centre back. I'm not even sure who of him, Konsa and Chambers would be first choice

• Like 2

If we can get this - it's a no-brainer for me.

At worst....he comes for free on (say) £100k a week. Over 4 years, about £20m.
We can sell Hause - maybe get £10m for him, and save his wages. Even if Tarkowski is 3rd/4th choice, we have better depth, and probably save money over the next 4 years. 

If he would come for a role whereby he has to fight for his place - that's up to him. 

This is one to avoid I think, his big payday and he will rinse some team. I always worried that he would be the perfect Southgate style defender but has only won 2 caps

Have to agree. If the wage asks are £100k a week then we should walk away and let Everton or Newcastle have him. Focus on getting a top player in who is a clear step up. 

If Konsa was out for 8-9 months then maybe it'd be a different story. Get a top player in *and* Tarkowski and we would hopefully not miss a beat.

But whilst Tarkowski would be a smart signing. Those are big wages for a guy that wouldn't really fit the style Gerrard is after. We'd still be poor passing out from the back and still end up inviting too much pressure onto ourselves.

I'll make my peace with it if it happens and understand the reasoning but we should be aiming higher, younger and for someone whose better on the ball.

2 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Confident this ain’t happening. Obscene wage. It’s a lazy link because he’s English and Konsa is injured. 

I'd tend to agree but it's Percy and Matt Law, which is why I posted. Percy in particular wouldn't usually put his name to it if it wasn't at least a possibility

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Like 2

He's a great player...  Much better than Burnley's level and is an actual proper right sided ball playing CB, which we need next to Mings.  If the money is right, he could be a bargain.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I think you guys are under rating Tarkowski. In my opinion he is exactly the type of RCB that we need to replace Konsa. He is a totally focussed defensive CB who does a no nonsense job of a "Stopper" which is what Mings badly needs alongside him.

He's a leader both vocally and by example, and even though he's not tall (6ft 1inch) he's very good in the air and can be dangerous at set pieces. He's built like a light heavy weight and never backs out of a 50/50. He's still 29 so is in his prime for a CB, and I believe he would relish playing in a back line between Mings and Cash.

I like the guy and can see him doing an excellent job for a couple of years for whoever he signs for.

He's not actually a "stopper", that's Ben Mee...  Tarkowski was actually a very good ball playing CB at Brentford, which is why it was puzzling to see him go to Burnley all those years ago.  He's a terrific defender at his core, but is much better all around than most are crediting him for because he played for Burnley.  

Edited by KMitch

Â