James Tarkowski

HalfTimePost

21 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

No from me for signing Tarkowski. Only because I thought the plan was to have players that can pass the ball around. If we bring in Tarkowski alongside Mings we will have 2 CB’s that will just launch the ball over our new midfield in the hope that Watkins can hold it up or get in a position to have a shot on goal and, as such, a 10% chance of scoring.

Im pretty sure Tarkowski is known to be an excellent passer of the ball, he was known as a very good passer at Brentford.

It might be the case that he just didnt get to do it at Burnley..........

(someone correct me if im wrong).

6 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Im pretty sure Tarkowski is known to be an excellent passer of the ball, he was known as a very good passer at Brentford.

I don't know offhand, but...

image.png.9d26e00e2278ed40502ad770c99ae45b.png

Just now, lexicon said:

I don't know offhand, but...

image.png.9d26e00e2278ed40502ad770c99ae45b.png

is that just because the Burnley tactic was lumping it though?

I dunno, not saying he is a good passer, but im sure i heard many times that he was seen as a good passer while at Brentford (but then again, so was Konsa....)

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

is that just because the Burnley tactic was lumping it though?

I dunno, not saying he is a good passer, but im sure i heard many times that he was seen as a good passer while at Brentford (but then again, so was Konsa....)

Could well be, mate - as I said, not sure. 

8 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

I’m not sold. Tarkowski would not be too dissimilar to the the type of signing Heaton was, age profile level etc. Would you of taken that version of Heaton now with Villa heading into 4th year back in the premier league ? Of course you wouldn’t. I’m not gonna apologise for saying we should be shooting higher than Tarkowski here. 

eh? heaton was like 33 when we signed him. tarkowski is 29. arguably in his prime.

and would i take 'that version' of heaton now as our back up keeper (and i do think tarkowski will end up being a back up to mings)? yes i 100% would.

Why tf are we discussing Heaton?

Wouldn't mind this signing at all. The optimist in me thinks he has been limited by the way Burnley play with regard to ball playing. Seems like he has a good presence about him that could balance out some of Mings wild streak.  Admittedly I watch **** all Burnley though.

28-32 would be the prime years for a Centre Back. Especially in this day and age with footballers taking care of themselves better now. 

I struggle to see Tarkowski becoming the passing CB required for Villa. So it doesn't make sense for the style we want to play. Quality CB as he is.

24 minutes ago, Adman said:

I'd prefer the CBs to defend and give the ball to kamara to pass it now anyway. Get it done

Means we've 2 fewer players to pass and one of our midfielders needs to drop into the box for a kick off to avoid being man marked to stop ball going to him.

I still hope we can get a ball playing CB to play alongside Mings. I'm fine with Tarkowski though as he's quality defender and very experienced

I am warming to this more and more, to be honest. His defensive qualities were never in question, for me it was all about distribution. However, others saying that he was known as a ball player for Brentford, and perhaps even more importantly the signing of Kamara, who takes the ball from the defence regularly and consistently almost makes the ball playing centre half less important. 

I’d feel very comfortable with Mings and Tarkowski in defence, with Kamara and one of Bissouma/Phillips there too, who also take the ball from the defence often. 

If this also frees up funds to go huge on a striker, then I’m very keen. 

Im not convinced by Tarkowski, or a good fit for Villa.

Yes he was a square peg in a square hole at Burnley, but not an upgrade on what we have and we need an upgrade.

12 minutes ago, Rich192 said:

I am warming to this more and more, to be honest. His defensive qualities were never in question, for me it was all about distribution. However, others saying that he was known as a ball player for Brentford, and perhaps even more importantly the signing of Kamara, who takes the ball from the defence regularly and consistently almost makes the ball playing centre half less important. 

I’d feel very comfortable with Mings and Tarkowski in defence, with Kamara and one of Bissouma/Phillips there too, who also take the ball from the defence often. 

If this also frees up funds to go huge on a striker, then I’m very keen. 

The need for ball playing centre-backs doesn't disappear because you have a good DM. Successfully playing out from the back, and playing through press, is about not having weak links. If a team builds from the back all players will potentially be involved, making and receiving passes sometimes under press.

BTW I found a piece about Tarkowski from The Athletic last year where he describes his roles as CB at Burnley and Brentford. He claims to be naturally confident on the ball.

https://theathletic.com/2312403/2021/01/11/tarkowski-defending-football-soccer/ 

Edited by VillaParkAvenue

5 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

The need for ball playing centre-backs doesn't disappear because you have a good DM. Successfully playing out from the back, and playing through press, is about not having weak links. If a team builds from the back all players will potentially be involved, making and receiving passes sometimes under press.

BTW I found a piece about Tarkowski from The Athletic last year where he describes his roles as CB at Burnley and Brentford. He claims to be naturally confident on the ball.

https://theathletic.com/2312403/2021/01/11/tarkowski-defending-football-soccer/ 

He is actually far better on the ball than people give him credit for/realise. 

I'm not sure 'astute' is the right word for a nearly 30yr old on £100k a week wanting a 4/5 year deal.

He'd be a sensible signing for sure and he'd definitely improve us..

But there appears to be a few very well regarded CBs potentially available for a move that are younger, on the up and if we don't achieve our goals will command big fees themselves if we had to sell them on.

Botman, Saliba, Lacroix, NDicka to name a couple. I'm sure a few others been touted on here too. I feel like we're better off going for one of these upcoming stars. Tarkowski would be fine for a couple of years, probably better than most of them if we're talking about hitting the ground running in August. But they'd be more astute buys imo.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

He is actually far better on the ball than people give him credit for/realise. 

Yeah we just don't know. If Gerrard wants him then he must be more confident of his ability on the ball that we can glean from his stats. His pass completion % for short passes has just got worse and worse every season at Burnley so it is a worry. 

2 hours ago, MaVilla said:

I never realised he was signed from Brentford.

You're right, they place emphasis on ball playing skills there so you'd think he has the know how.

He'd instantly add a lot to our defence. He's also a great leader. I can see a lot of positives to this deal. 

It would also be extremely satisfying knowing we've signed two very good players in Kamara and Tarkowski for....£0. (signing on fees/wages aside)

• Like 1

Â