James Tarkowski

HalfTimePost

I have my suspicions that some of those Burnley thugs look decent playing anti-football but could be exposed under “normal” tactics. It’s interesting that he was called up to the England squad once or twice, but hasn’t been asked back - the England set up to me seems like a bit of a clique, if you’re in, you’re in, but this guy was in at one point but then not considered good enough to stay in compared to the likes of Coady and Mings 

I don't think he's a bad player I just think this will be the contract he retires on and at some point the decline will kick in, we could be lumbered with him as 4th choice for 2 or 3 years whilst he's very well paid 

If it's a 5 year contract then I don't think the wage will befit the role come the last years of it 

And we won't shift him because no one else will pick that wage up 

1 hour ago, Rustibrooks said:

Not a glamorous name compared to other CB's we've been linked with, but I think Tarkowski is underrated. I'd welcome him at Villa definitely, isn't he also a bit of a d*ck when he's playing? If he is I like it, having a player that can get under players/fans skin is brilliant in my opinion. Our players sometimes get a bit rattled at times when we played Palace (Zaha) and City (Rodri) at times when they either do tactical fouls or constantly in our players ears. It would be nice to have a few at Villa that did the same

Think the issue is contract length. He be fine on a 3 year deal but he will want 5 as its his big pay deal 

Other issue is can he play away from the Burnley system. Others have struggled like Michael Keane

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Think the issue is contract length. He be fine on a 3 year deal but he will want 5 as its his big pay deal 

Other issue is can he play away from the Burnley system. Others have struggled like Michael Keane

Oh definitely, I forgot to add that part. The contract length and how much he''ll get will change my opinion potentially. I get it's a free transfer and all, but Ideally we want most of our players on deals which we can shift easily if they don't pan out or want to leave. I'm tired of our deadwood going out on loan instead of permanent transfers.

Whoever this journo Stalker? Does he work for the Mirror? I don't think we should be making this Sacrifice, just for the sake of Nostalgia. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I don't think he's a bad player I just think this will be the contract he retires on and at some point the decline will kick in, we could be lumbered with him as 4th choice for 2 or 3 years whilst he's very well paid 

If it's a 5 year contract then I don't think the wage will befit the role come the last years of it 

And we won't shift him because no one else will pick that wage up 

I think centre-backs are more than capable of playing at a high level well into their mid-30's  They don't have quite the shelf-life of goalkeepers, but I actually think they peak much later than in other positions.... Signing a 29 year-old centre-back on a 4 year deal isn't much of a risk for me.  Mellberg left us at 33 and played another 3 years in Serie A.  God was 29 when he signed and 35 when he left (still did the business at Derby/Sheffield for two more seasons).  Look at players like Evans at Leicester, Dawson at Wet Spam - both peaked after 30.  Silva still doing the business at Chelski at 37, Kompany was a similar age when he left Citeh. Van Dijk will be 31 next month.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

If he went to Everton he could keep his house where he is now. 

But Everton are garbage.

Plus maybe he loves getting relegated so wants to be part of Everton going down next season. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

I think this one has legs, especially after what Gerrard said about free transfers. 

My main concern is his ability to play out from the back. I don’t doubt he’s good defensively. 

I agree about the ball playing aspect but I do think as a team this season we’ve lacked height. Mings has to do a lot of work defending our box, largely on his own. Tarkowski would certainly help in this area. 

• Like 1

Five years is a long contract at that age and he could be difficult to loan out with those wages.

Questions would be 1) how confident is he playing out the back and maybe 2) if Villa wanted to play with a higher line in the future, would he be comfortable with that and would he have the pace?

I'd really like Tarkowski. A no-nonsense strong CB. Dependable and reliable, which is what a CBneeds to be above all  and what we don't have currently in Mings/Konsa. 

On a free you can pay big wages  cannot compare directly to players we pay fee for.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I think this one has legs, especially after what Gerrard said about free transfers. 

My main concern is his ability to play out from the back. I don’t doubt he’s good defensively. 

Better than Mings on the ball.

He can knock it long over the top to a charging Watkins as well.

11 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Wouldn't it be nice to have a CB who is good defensively, for a change?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FLVillan said:

I think centre-backs are more than capable of playing at a high level well into their mid-30's 

That's in part because half (or more) of defending is positioning, and you get better and better with time and experience...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Heartily agree.

Can't imagine he would accept anything less than four years. Wants to sack his agent if he can't get that with four PL sides after him.

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Better than Mings on the ball.

He can knock it long over the top to a charging Watkins as well.

Is he actually? Genuinely haven’t seen him play all that much. 

He’d add a lot of steel, leadership and defensive qualities for sure!

Â