Pre match chat

ender4

**** sake Gerrard. Hard to fully get behind him when he makes decisions like this. Buendia must be absolutely exasperated. Single Buendia out for getting his numbers up (when others have hardly been prolific) he scores and assists getting MOTM to be benched. 

• Like 1

I'd put money on Buendia and Phil both knowing that this was going to be the plan before the Burnley game. Rotation with games in such quick succession is not without merit. It's not necessarily poor man management if they buy into the rotation and both stay motivated.

• Like 1

Just now, MaVilla said:

Buendia scores and assists in last game, gets dropped.

Chambers has done well in pretty much all his games for us, gets dropped but Konsa (who has been a waliing accident), keeps his place.

Nakamba in.....not sure why (i love Nakamba - but why when Chambers did great last game).

Sorry.......that team selection is just madness.

This is a typical Nakamba game where we expect to have little possession (not that we usually have that much).

Very odd to drop Buendia, he was outstanding last game and deserved to retain his place. Coutinho needs to perform tonight.

Like Nakamba coming into defensive midfield but Konsa is again very lucky to keep his place over Chambers.

Salah and Thiago on the bench for Plop, Robertson not in the squad, it's not a full strength team but the front three still looks bloody good. 

We'll see how it goes. 

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

I just don't get that decision.

I can only hope he's had a knock. Otherwise the message that sends is you can be MOTM, get a goal and an assist, and you can still find yourself on the bench next week.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Brilliant man management. As explained in Buendia thread

You play you inform players from the start. Good to have him on in case but not the right choice for me

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

Benching Buendia was pre planned. He was given a chance on Saturday and he took it. Coutinho was always starting today. Now Coutinho knows he has to perform today or he'll not be starting against Palace. This is how you get the best out of players competing for starting places.

Ding, ding, ding! Creating competition is a good thing. 

• Haha 2

Benching Buendia was pre planned. He was given a chance on Saturday and he took it. Coutinho was always starting today. Now Coutinho knows he has to perform today or he'll not be starting against Palace. This is how you get the best out of players competing for starting places.

What? 

This is a crazy take. 

• Like 3

If our 2 most expensive and creative players can't play together then we have a problem. Either don't sign Coutinho or sell Buendia because this is madness.

I worry about our club with the levels of idiocy of our fanbase. 

Chambers was right for Burnley. Nakamba is right for Liverpool. The decisions make sense.

Buendia was always going to be benched today. His performance on Saturday is what throws the guantlet down for Coutinho. 

This isn't the MON era where you play the same players every game. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WallisFrizz said:

He pretty much said they were rotating them over this period. No drama.

Was Buendia first start in about 6 weeks. Its a cop out from Gerrard 

• Like 1

Pressure is on for Coutinho to perform. You need graft from everyone in these games, and there arent many more prepared to put it in than Emi Buendia. Shame really, but lets see how it plays out. Good to see Nakamba back, another who will give his all. Our GK and defence look a lot more settled when we have that disciplined defensive minded sitter in there. Just hope we give them a game.

Just now, CVByrne said:

I worry about our club with the levels of idiocy of our fanbase. 

Chambers was right for Burnley. Nakamba is right for Liverpool. The decisions make sense.

Buendia was always going to be benched today. His performance on Saturday is what throws the guantlet down for Coutinho. 

This isn't the MON era where you play the same players every game. 

Yes we all get that. 

But it's quite unusual to not play someone for 5 games, then start them and see a man of the match performance and then immediately drop then again. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, nick76 said:

Feel sorry for Buendia, didn’t deserve to be dropped!

Nonsense. He has put down a marker with his performance on Saturday. Now he has to see how Coutinho responds. 

• Haha 1