Pre match chat

ender4

Yep, total free hit. Not expecting much but would like to be a fly in the ointment. We will create chances. If we can take them and somehow avoid cock-ups at the back then we could shithouse a point off them. Another win would be lovely. I wonder might Villa borrow tactically from that 7-2 win or will Gerrard go with his own strategy. I expect the latter, which is fair enough.  Once he doesn't put Nakamba in goal and go with a 2-5-3 then we're good to go.

Expecting a loss. They'll be going for it after the dropped points at Tottenham. I actually wouldn't be too heartbroken if we lost as I'd much rather see Liverpool as champions rather than Citeh. Can't stand the thought of Grealish lifting the trophy on the last day after playing us.

10 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Give credit where it's due. 

They certainly did have a barren run in terms of the league title, but they have always had a stature about them ever since Shankley developed the boot - room era. You don't win that many European trophies without having something special.

Real Madrid have it too. The kind of stature that instills belief as an obligation. Hence, two goals in the last minute and one more in extra time for the coup de grace, and as stunning as that was, it really wasn't that surprising, because it's Real Madrid.

There is nothing lucky about that kind of continuous success. 

Well....

Liverpool have a lot to be thankful for Shankly. Before he took over Everton was the biggest team on Merseyside and Liverpool were a division two club. Liverpool were fortunate to have a sustained period of success just when football was hitting the national conscious with the start of televised coverage, and they rode the crest of Beatlemania and all thing Liverpudlian.   On the flip side Liverpool then hit a period of decline at exactly the wrong moment in the early 90s when Sky came along and Manchester United overtook them and until recently they had been playing catch up.

As for Real Madrid it helped that they were backed by everyone's favourite friendly fascist, General Franco. He pulled string so Di Stefano went to Madrid rather than Barcelona.  Areas that were strongly republican in the civil war were deliberately under funded under Franco's regime such as Catalonia and Almeria. So they were somewhat given a helping hand to become the world first superclub. England refusing to play at the start of the European Cup also helped a bit.

I know Gerrard talks about wanting to beat every team, but I don't think he will want to be the man who ruined Liverpool's quadruple push by taking points off them tonight. I suspect our tactics might not be as effective as they might otherwise be. 

Edited by Made In Aston

not convinced by this whole chambers at no. 6 malarky. rewatched the burley game and he was done on a number of occasions for pace and mobility. he looked exactly how you'd expect a cb playing dm to look.

the change of shape however did look good and played to the strengths of mcginn and luiz. id stick big Tim in from the start and move chambers back to cb instead of konsa

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

I know Gerrard talks about wanting to beat every team, but I don't think he will want to be the man who ruined Liverpool's quadruple push by taking points off them tonight. I suspect our tactics might not be as effective as they might otherwise be. 

A display like he did at Anfield will not be acceptable. 

I dont think anybody expects a victory but we better give them a game 

8 minutes ago, Villa87 said:

I’d go for the following:

Emi

Cash Chambers Mings Digne

Luiz

Buendia McGinn

Ings Coutinho

Watkins

I was gonna suggest trying Buendia as one of the midfield three, especially with Ramsey out.  He has the work rate to cover the full-back, and would get him on the pitch without dropping Coutinho.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Zatman said:

A display like he did at Anfield will not be acceptable. 

I dont think anybody expects a victory but we better give them a game 

I would be surprised if it was much different. Sit back, not offer anything going forward and hope we don't conceed (which is highly unlikely with that approach). 

Yes and no on the free hit for me

Obviously hope we play well at least, we were anti football at anfield (still got 2 poor VAR calls) and I want us to be better 

What this season can't come down to is the title being awarded on goal difference after Liverpool "only" manage to stick 4 past us and City score more 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

Your implying he’s gonna send us out to lose ? That’s utterly ridiculous. He’s employed as our manager. His playing career is over. 

• Like 1