Pre match chat

ender4

I'm a little surprised Buendia has been benched for this game. If anything, I'd say he is more suited to this game than Coutinho due to the intensity he can play with. Coutinho would probably be better suited to our game on Saturday. So all in all it's a bit strange but I don't see us getting anything out of this game at all anyway so meh. 

• Like 3

We played 3 days ago. Buendia was injured the week before and only trained once in that week, as confirmed by Gerrard.

The bed wetting has been taken to a hole new level tonight.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Let's just hope it was a pre-planned decision made before the Burnley and both players were notified. 

Definitely. I’m not in any way ruling out Coutinho having a good game, I just hope being dropped after a great performance doesn’t push Emi towards the exit. As long as it’s communicated well internally, that shouldn’t be a problem. I’d love to see the both of them at the club, and playing in the same side against the right kind of opponent. 

Edited by El Zen

Just now, jim said:

We played 3 days ago. Buendia was injured the week before and only trained once in that week, as confirmed by Gerrard.

Sounds like he needs some match fitness then.

Just now, jim said:

Give it a rest. Even those behind Stevie G are calling this one out.

• Like 1

Just feels odd. Coutinho is at his best when he has the ball. This is a game where we will not have the ball.

Buendia has great workrate and offers a lot without the ball. 

Both are capable of moments of brilliance so I'd have gone with Buendia or both. Hopefully Coutinho has a couple moments of brilliance because he will not offer much without the ball.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

CVByrne proves that a broken clock is right twice a day. Some Villa fans are still stuck in the 90s when you played your “best” team every match and didn’t adapt to who you’re playing and where. “But we won the league in 1981 using 13 players.” Times have changed lads, sorry to break it to you.

This would make sense if players were rotating in and out every week. You sure you're not talking about Liverpool? Because this isn't what's happening at Aston Villa.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jim said:

a trustworthy source

Still waiting for them wholesale changes he promised vs Newcastle. a complete bluffer

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

I know, plenty where outraged at the selection pre Burnley, there’s no pleasing some

We've 5 games in 15 days and we've a near fully fit squad. As if some player rotation was not guaranteed to happen.

Cambers doesn't have the mobility and energy of Nakamba. Nakamba doesn't have the height of Chambers. The slections for Burnley and today for CDM make total sense to me. 

Dropping Coutinho for Burnley for Buendia to hopefully spark a response from him tonight is good management. I'm getting the feeling there is competition for places in the team for the first time, well ever!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, rodders0223 said:

Rorate them then the past 3 months?Don't play one for one game. Have a worldie and bench him.

I think we were getting Phil as fit as possible, but yeah I agree, it should have been done for a lot longer.

He hopes Coutinho will be part of it. The Brazil international had to settle for a place on the bench in Saturday's 3-1 win over Burnley, with Emiliano Buendia shining in his place, but Gerrard is eager to make his loan permanent and sees competition for places as healthy.

"When we decide to play with one number 10, it may be that only one of them can play, but I've shown many times that we can play with two number 10s in the team and I think they are both capable of playing as eights as well in certain situations," he says.

"Ultimately, they are two great players and I'm lucky to have them at my disposal. We rested Phil on Saturday and Emi was fantastic, but that was Burnley. Liverpool is a different game and I'll pick the team that I think is going to do the best job.

"Of course, my job is to manage the situation when players don't play, but I'll always be honest and authentic with them. I'll never blank them and. I'll always explain my reasons. Not everyone can play every game, but at the same time the squad is really important over the course of the season."

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12609564/steven-gerrard-exclusive-interview-aston-villa-boss-striving-to-close-the-gap-to-the-elite-ahead-of-liverpool-showdown