• Black Sabbath
    • Oasis
    • Lynard Skynard
    • The Allman Brothers
    • Coldplay
    • Nirvana
    • The Beatles
    • Queen

troon_villan - don't know if you watch Top Gear (I don't as it happens) but the theme music is a number called 'Jessica' by The Allman Brothers. Probably classed as a 70's Southern Rock band - quite influential at the time. Duane Allman = really highly-rated guitarist.

I don't watch that show velo but I know the song. Cheers for that.

Iron Maiden and AC/DC should definitely be added to that list.

Iron Maiden - yes. I don't get their appeal. Rock-by-numbers.

AC/DC - with Brian, yes. Just not nearly as good as

AC/DC with Bon - NO! With Bon Scott they were **** awesome.

As for other comments, I'd agree with Arctic Flunkeys. can't stand that whiney northern accent going on about dressing gowns knickers and the pub

Iron Maiden rock by numbers? Surely you mean highly influential cornerstone of metal?

i think maiden are overrated.

• Like 1

I think, a lot of the time, the phrase 'one of the best' gets mixed up with 'one of the first'. Iron Maiden sound dated to me; very samey and a bit cheesy. At the time where Heavy Metal was a very new genre and only a handful of bands were doing it (in popular culture, of course), I guess it was very exciting. I suppose that Planet Rock is one of the reasons that I say this; I listen to it quite a lot and get nothing but Maiden and AC/DC, while so many amazing newer bands that are making exciting music don't get a look in. 

Only my opinion though, obviously, and one of the many wonderful things about music is that everyone has a different one. I respect these kind of bands though, as I appreciate the fact that, without them, many bands that I listen to wouldn't be around; just not really my cup'o tea

• Like 1

I think a band has to be highly rated in order to be overrated. For me it's Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd, neither of whom have ever held my interest.

That's because you're a hairy faced poove

• Like 1

As for other comments, I'd agree with Arctic Flunkeys. can't stand that whiney northern accent going on about dressing gowns knickers and the pub

Iron Maiden rock by numbers? Surely you mean highly influential cornerstone of metal?

i think maiden are overrated.

Well said bro :)

• Like 1

Two of the most recent entries, Muse and Iron Maiden are for me, both ruined by the vocals.

Not a fan of either Dickinson or Bellamy's voices.

Muse though are good musicians so I wouldn't say they are overrated.

Bit of a weird question for me. I don't think music is the sort of thing people will ever agree on. Music divides people more than other forms of media like film, TV, games etc., I think.

People like what they like. It'd be a boring world if we all liked the same shit.

I do wish that things like the X Factor would **** off though. People can listen to what they want, but this crap gets far too much attention and annoys the shit out of the rest of us.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 3

Two of the most recent entries, Muse and Iron Maiden are for me, both ruined by the vocals.

Not a fan of either Dickinson or Bellamy's voices.

Muse though are good musicians so I wouldn't say they are overrated.

Yeah Bellamy is so good he has to have a roadie change his effect pedals while he plays.

same here, love ac/dc with bon but after that not so much. i find iron maiden a bit boring and i dont like dickinson's voice. i prefer judas priest over maiden.

i think van halen are overrated if im honest although i really like their debut album.

Foo Fighters - can't really argue that the drummer is fantastic and Grohl is pretty cool but early stuff aside they are pretty boring

Agree. Everything after the colour and the shape has been pretty poor in comparison.

Dunno if the chili peppers have been mentioned but they should be.

Obligatory mentions for the Smiths/Morrissey & the stone roses.

Â