• Black Sabbath
    • Oasis
    • Lynard Skynard
    • The Allman Brothers
    • Coldplay
    • Nirvana
    • The Beatles
    • Queen

He's a classically trained pianist. Its about opinions but I think he's very good.

By this you mean he had piano lessons at school

Also I notice a lot of people have voted for the Beatles. Come on unless you were around in the 60s you can't judge just how good and influential they were.

Nonsense, utter nonsense

I watched that Paranoid documentary the other day, and my opinion of the Butler/Ward rhythm section went up. They had/have some pretty decent jazz/blues chops.

yeah they were a really good rhythm section and suited that type of music perfectly. sabbath are very jazzy at times and ward in particular is a very jazzy player, he WAS one of the best drummers on the rock scene in the 70s but he was an underrated drummer. ok he wernt a bonham,moon or paice but he had his own style. if you look into sabbaths music they are a lot more diverse and interesting than people give them credit for. there is more to them than paranoid and iron man, their so called worst album never say die is imo one of their best and is brilliant.

• Like 1

Whatever he can play thats the point... and my point about people judging the Beatles when they weren't around in that era stands. Its like saying Nat Lofthouse was overrated.

Its not like that at all, not many people who weren't born then have seen enough of Nat Lofthouse and the football of that era to judge him. The music of the Beatles and anything else from that era is freely available for all to judge. It is therefore an invalid comparison and a nonsensical point. People not from that era can judge because the material is available. You appear to be saying that no one can appreciate Shakespeare because you aren't from that era and if anyone claimed that they'd be ridiculed.

Whatever he can play thats the point... and my point about people judging the Beatles when they weren't around in that era stands. Its like saying Nat Lofthouse was overrated.

Its not like that at all, not many people who weren't born then have seen enough of Nat Lofthouse and the football of that era to judge him. The music of the Beatles and anything else from that era is freely available for all to judge. It is therefore an invalid comparison and a nonsensical point. People not from that era can judge because the material is available. You appear to be saying that no one can appreciate Shakespeare because you aren't from that era and if anyone claimed that they'd be ridiculed.

Yes but in the 60s we didn't have the same amount of choice so people are judging them on what is  around today and in the last 40 years or so. Also you can't truly appreciate  how much  impact and how much they shaped music if you wern't there.  Its a nonsense that people claim they are overrated.

Edited by PaulC

Yes but in the 60s we didn't have the same amount of choice so people are judging them on what is  around today and in the last 40 years or so. Also you can't truly appreciate  how much  impact and how much they shaped music if you wern't there.  Its a nonsense that people claim they are overrated.

No one should ever study history by that logic

Blondie

noooooooo

From memory, I somehow got an early copy of the Plastic Letters album whilst in Germany on holiday with my parents. I decided I'd take it home and appear cool and sophisticated and continental.

Turned out it was genuinely **** awesome!

I urge a quick visit to the music thread for Detroit 442....

Debbie Harry was responsible for an unexplained spike in tissue use in our house.

• Like 3

ive got it on dvd, its a good watch.

It is. 

We all know about Ozzy and that Tony Iommi is perhaps the serious-genius type but I didn't realise how charismatic and witty Geezer is in particular. And he's one of us! You can stick Prince William and Tom Hanks up yer arse hole, Geezer is our boy. 

Anyway, Sabbath aren't overrated. Underrated by the masses in my opinion, undoubtedly the most influential heavy rock band of all time. They invented a genre FFS. So this is no doubt off topic!

Edit - I just looked and they are somehow on the above list and have three votes! Barmy. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

No one should ever study history by that logic

That's the only way to judge history surely? You can't judge the actions of say William the Conqueror by the moral standards of today.

OK so the Beatles are more recent history, but in popular music terms that's not necessarily true. They were fairly early on and they were trend setters, they too defined a genre. Whether you like their music or not (I do, but I can understand why you don't, I don't love them) you cannot deny their influence. 

I don't know whether they're rated right or not, but next to Coldplay they're mesmerizing!

He's a classically trained pianist. Its about opinions but I think he's very good.

By this you mean he had piano lessons at school

Also I notice a lot of people have voted for the Beatles. Come on unless you were around in the 60s you can't judge just how good and influential they were.

Nonsense, utter nonsense

I'm coming from the opposite end of the argument to Bicks but I agree - I was born nearly 15 years after the Beatles had finished but I have a positive opinion on their music and legacy. The converse is equally legitimate.

Where I do disagree with Paul is that you can't judge at all. You can judge their music, but in the Beatles case you can't judge their influence harshly.

I mean Christ, Ozzy Osbourne says that the first single he ever bought that really turned him on was She Loves You.

Â