• Black Sabbath
    • Oasis
    • Lynard Skynard
    • The Allman Brothers
    • Coldplay
    • Nirvana
    • The Beatles
    • Queen

Although I am a huge Dylan fan, I can see why people may not like him.

I could never class him in the overrated category because he is one of the best songwriters of all time. Look at the list of artists that has covered his songs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_artists_who_have_covered_Bob_Dylan_songs

Yes he has a terrible voice but I'd rather have a songwriter who can't sing than the other way around.

Unlike The Beatles, almost every single artist he has strongly influenced has been equally dull and uninspiring. I blame Dylan for everything, he's the musical Mark Delaney.

But Dylan also had an influence on the Beatles music.

Not sure about that one.

Dylan gave the Schmeatles Pot for the first time, their music and outlook completely changed almost overnight. Lyrically they became more introspective and they jumped on the psychedelic bandwagon as they experimented with more drugs. Wouldn't have happened without Dylan

l

Not sure about that one.
Dylan gave the Schmeatles Pot for the first time, their music and outlook completely changed almost overnight. Lyrically they became more introspective and they jumped on the psychedelic bandwagon as they experimented with more drugs. Wouldn't have happened without Dylan
Maybe Dylan wouldn't have happened without Guthrie . Tbh did not really equate pot with psychedelia .

l

Not sure about that one.

Maybe Dylan wouldn't have happened without Guthrie . Tbh did not really equate pot with psychedelia .

Gateway drug, the Beatles were relatively clean living before the Dylan / Pot meeting. It didn't take them long to discover LSD after that

It was LSD that **** Brian Wilson up for decades.

It's a miracle that not only is he still alive today but during his reclusive stage he still managed to produce some amazing stuff

It's a miracle that not only is he still alive today but during his reclusive stage he still managed to produce some amazing stuff

Yeah, wasn't he sat in a swimming pool filled with sand, wearing a fireman’s helmet, while writing Smile?

Yeah, wasn't he sat in a swimming pool filled with sand, wearing a fireman’s helmet, while writing Smile?

:)

Almost.

The sandbox was real, as was the teepee/tent in his living room.

The swimming pool was where he held business meetings with incredulous Capitol Records execs who really didn't want to talk business in the water.

Firemans helmet was also real, at the recordings for Mrs O'Leary's Cow he got all the studio musicians to wear fireman helmets whilst a bucket of wood and paper was burning. There's also a promo movie of the band on a firetruck.

</anorak>

• Like 1

As a complete amateur on Beach Boys / Brian Wilson, is the LSD thing why he appears to be so, 'slow' when he's in anything currently?

Essentially, is he drug fried, or does he have an unrelated ailment, or have I just judged a thoroughly sorted and stable human very harshly?

As a complete amateur on Beach Boys / Brian Wilson, is the LSD thing why he appears to be so, 'slow' when he's in anything currently?

Essentially, is he drug fried, or does he have an unrelated ailment, or have I just judged a thoroughly sorted and stable human very harshly?

No he's definitely not "all there" due to years of drug abuse. But sometimes if you watch some of his youtube interviews, he seems really sharp and with-it.

Other times he's just not really "there".

He's also almost deaf in one ear, but he's had that since he was a kid

drugs can do wonders for a band but ultimately it can destroy them from the inside out.

Many bands enjoy a long life of moderate drug abuse.

It's more excess, and being able to afford to sustain it.

Combine that with volatile or fragile personalities, characteristics of many gifted artists, and bits start falling off.

Dream Theater are pretty overrated nowadays. I think their older stuff was fantastic (pretty much everything pre-Octavarium, with the odd exception), but now they sound like a cover band of themselves. They're still top notch musicians, but it's a shame to hear how they've turned out.

• Like 1

Â