• Black Sabbath
    • Oasis
    • Lynard Skynard
    • The Allman Brothers
    • Coldplay
    • Nirvana
    • The Beatles
    • Queen

Surely these days Muse and U2 aren't still considered overrated.

I mean whose ratings are we talking about? The unwashed masses who flock to Pink concerts? They don't count.

I think most people who liked Muse in 2005 probably don't like them anymore. They were my favourite band after Absolution but they're dead to me now.

I can't think of anyone who genuinely likes U2 in 2014 who isn't also a fan of Pink and The Madden Brothers.

The Beatles are genuinely amazing though and I can't believe they come up in a thread like this. They deserve all the praise they get.

He's a classically trained pianist. Its about opinions but I think he's very good.

By this you mean he had piano lessons at school

Also I notice a lot of people have voted for the Beatles. Come on unless you were around in the 60s you can't judge just how good and influential they were.

Nonsense, utter nonsense
I read this without looking at the poster.... then it all made sense.

Bob Dylan's stuff is another I don't really understand the appeal of, maybe It's all in his lyrics, all sounds very samey to me though. I don't know how anyone could sit down and listen to him droning on for an whole LP.

Edited by useless

ive got it on dvd, its a good watch.

It is. 

We all know about Ozzy and that Tony Iommi is perhaps the serious-genius type but I didn't realise how charismatic and witty Geezer is in particular. And he's one of us! You can stick Prince William and Tom Hanks up yer arse hole, Geezer is our boy. 

Anyway, Sabbath aren't overrated. Underrated by the masses in my opinion, undoubtedly the most influential heavy rock band of all time. They invented a genre FFS. So this is no doubt off topic!

Edit - I just looked and they are somehow on the above list and have three votes! Barmy. 

thing with sabbath was that they had no musical training what so ever. geezer was a rhythm guitarist but switched to bass as tony did not want another guitarist, tony lost two ends of his fingers, ozzy was just some crazy kid who happend to have some music equipment so it got him the gig and bill was a very unorthadox drummer. none went to art school or were trained in anyway they were off the streets and within a year they went from aston to the LA forum. they are the original working class heroes. i liked how henry rollins described black sabbath fans ha.

Bob Dylan's stuff is another I don't really understand the appeal of, maybe It's all in his lyrics, all sounds very samey to me though. I don't know how anyone could sit down and listen to him droning on for an whole LP.

This :thumb:

• Like 1

ive got it on dvd, its a good watch.

It is.

We all know about Ozzy and that Tony Iommi is perhaps the serious-genius type but I didn't realise how charismatic and witty Geezer is in particular. And he's one of us! You can stick Prince William and Tom Hanks up yer arse hole, Geezer is our boy.

Anyway, Sabbath aren't overrated. Underrated by the masses in my opinion, undoubtedly the most influential heavy rock band of all time. They invented a genre FFS. So this is no doubt off topic!

Edit - I just looked and they are somehow on the above list and have three votes! Barmy.

thing with sabbath was that they had no musical training what so ever. geezer was a rhythm guitarist but switched to bass as tony did not want another guitarist, tony lost two ends of his fingers, ozzy was just some crazy kid who happend to have some music equipment so it got him the gig and bill was a very unorthadox drummer. none went to art school or were trained in anyway they were off the streets and within a year they went from aston to the LA forum. they are the original working class heroes. i liked how henry rollins described black sabbath fans ha.

Yeah, we're the kids stood outside the party drinking a cold one because they either won't let us in, or we don't want to be there!

That describes my housemate to a tee. He's a French lad (not sorry donnie), he knows of Sabbath of course but I'm not sure they we're held in the same gravitas over there.

So again, overrated? Pshaw...

Edit - Dylan yeah! Bang on shout. Terrible voice, plinky plonky wishy washy shite.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

I don't know why there is so much snobbery when it comes to oasis, yes pretty much every song has to pay royalties to someone else and they weren't amazing musicians or weren't as good as what came before

but in the 30 years of my life no ones comes close to them in terms of impact, significance, influence, number of great songs, live performance, general buzz and excitement, you name it

definitely maybe and what's the story stand up as classic british albums (so should masterplan but I'm guessing it's lazily written off as b sides, 9/10 bands dream of writing an album as good as masterplan) what's the story is the quickest selling and 5th biggest selling album in uk history, wonderwall especially broke boundaries, I agree it's a song you'll hear in the pub, it's a song that's instantly recognisable to a huge % of people, played from radio 1 to smooth fm and by every shit busker I've ever seen, that's because it's a **** great song! The best thing about that song? The cd came with round are way, swamp song and the masterplan as b sides

I stand by my comment on the previous page, oasis are underrated

If 30 years time when the dust has settled they'll be at the top table of British music with the likes of the Beatles and the stones (and the arctic monkeys ;) )

• Like 2

Although I am a huge Dylan fan, I can see why people may not like him.

I could never class him in the overrated category because he is one of the best songwriters of all time. Look at the list of artists that has covered his songs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_artists_who_have_covered_Bob_Dylan_songs

Yes he has a terrible voice but I'd rather have a songwriter who can't sing than the other way around.

Edited by PaulC

Â