• Oasis
    • Lynard Skynard
    • The Allman Brothers
    • Coldplay
    • Nirvana
    • The Beatles
    • Queen

Arcade fire or artic monkeys!'

Nah both quality bands. Arctic Monkeys seem to be the only band of the past 10 years who can continually write good albums. All other bands seem to disappear after 1 or 2 albums.

isn't that exactly what happened to the Arctic Spunkeys? first album was brilliant, second album was pretty good, then I think they released one called bah humbug or something and I haven't got a clue what they have done since then....except for Alex Turner becoming a massive bell end

Arcade fire or artic monkeys!'

Nah both quality bands. Arctic Monkeys seem to be the only band of the past 10 years who can continually write good albums. All other bands seem to disappear after 1 or 2 albums.

isn't that exactly what happened to the Arctic Spunkeys? first album was brilliant, second album was pretty good, then I think they released one called bah humbug or something and I haven't got a clue what they have done since then....except for Alex Turner becoming a massive bell end

Nope, not at all.

Each of their albums have been hugely successful. They're still headlining all the festivals and winning plenty of awards. 

Fairly certain their latest album has really cracked America too.

Edited by PieFacE

Bit of a different take on it, and coming firmly from the perspective of 21st century metal and hardcore here, rather than typical commercial success.This is more of a 'never enjoyed them much compared to the amount they're often cited as most influential/the best mathcore ever' rather than 'overrated', but, Botch. Don't and never really did care for them.

• Like 1

Within particular genres, some acts get retrospectively elevated to legend status - usually they're dead - when actually they weren't that important. Nick Drake, Tim Buckley, Gram Parsons, etc. I like all of those three, a lot, but there's a generation now that thinks they were the best and most important in their fields. They weren't.

• Like 2

Yeah, there's a whole industry built up around a cult of death. You can add Sublime to that list, a group who released one album posthumously to it's singers' death, and it went triple platinum. And it's very mediocre.

• Like 1

I think their albums have gradually got better with the exception of 'Suck it and See'.

Their most recent offering 'AM' is their best work yet imo.

Agree

AM is a mind blowingly good album, easily the album I listened to the most last year, probably this year too, don't why people seem to have such a problem with them developing their sound over the years

the rolling stones

After the Stones stopped doing cover songs, they got quite good, and recorded some very original, vibrant pop rock. After Brian Jones died, they morphed into a blues-rock outfit, and still made good music. Some say when Mick Taylor left, they started to suck, but i still like their stuff up through Tattoo You. But that was 34 years ago. They've been pretty awful ever since. But they had a very good run, IMO.

• Like 2

Iron Maiden and AC/DC should definitely be added to that list.

Iron Maiden - yes. I don't get their appeal. Rock-by-numbers.

AC/DC - with Brian, yes. Just not nearly as good as

AC/DC with Bon - NO! With Bon Scott they were **** awesome.

As for other comments, I'd agree with Arctic Flunkeys. can't stand that whiney northern accent going on about dressing gowns knickers and the pub

Iron Maiden rock by numbers? Surely you mean highly influential cornerstone of metal?

It's hard to put Iron Maiden on the list because they have succeeded in the industry despite no radio/video play, whereas these other bands are everywhere. I used to love Maiden, but grew out of them. Great music when you're 17, but it doesn't hold up that well when you're in your 40's...I still have loads of respect for them though.

Edited by maqroll

Iron Maiden and AC/DC should definitely be added to that list.

Iron Maiden - yes. I don't get their appeal. Rock-by-numbers.

AC/DC - with Brian, yes. Just not nearly as good as

AC/DC with Bon - NO! With Bon Scott they were **** awesome.

As for other comments, I'd agree with Arctic Flunkeys. can't stand that whiney northern accent going on about dressing gowns knickers and the pub

Iron Maiden rock by numbers? Surely you mean highly influential cornerstone of metal?

I just don't like em much. Judas Priest are way better
  • Like 3

troon_villan  - don't know if you watch Top Gear (I don't as it happens) but the theme music is a number called 'Jessica' by The Allman Brothers. Probably classed as a 70's Southern Rock band - quite influential at the time. Duane Allman = really highly-rated guitarist.

Â