• Black Sabbath
    • Oasis
    • Lynard Skynard
    • The Allman Brothers
    • Coldplay
    • Nirvana
    • The Beatles
    • Queen

I'm quite surprised that people think like that though. I really dont get it. Can somebody who is 25 not appreciate just how incredible Led Zeppelin were? Can somebody who is 50 not enjoy British Sea Power?

Yeah, there will be a period of time in your life between, say, your last year at school and getting married/having kids where you were young and carefree and the music that was being released at that time becomes the soundtrack to some truly great times so it will always have a place in your heart, but if you look beyond that then there is truly amazing music released each and every year. Name any year since music was being released commercially on a large scale and somebody will be able to name some great albums. There was fantastic music released in 1965, there will be fantastic music released in 2015 and there has been fantastic music released in every year inbetween. Great music is timeless. It's just a case of being prepared to listen to it.

Music is a different animal these days though I think. In the internet and download age you don't get any type of movements anymore.

Britpop was the last true movement in this country although the early-mid 2000's was a good era too. Some great bands around then.

I'm quite surprised that people think like that though. I really dont get it. Can somebody who is 25 not appreciate just how incredible Led Zeppelin were? Can somebody who is 50 not enjoy British Sea Power?

Great music is timeless. It's just a case of being prepared to listen to it.

As a sort of illustration of the above, I'm mid forties, I have never listened to Led Zeppelin. However, I've been to see British Sea Power twice.

Courtney Pine, heralded as the saviour of British Modern Jazz. Went to see him and the only thing that stunk worse than the music was his stage presence. After three pieces he got mildly heckled with 'call it off' and others gave a mooted cheer.

I'm quite surprised that people think like that though. I really dont get it. Can somebody who is 25 not appreciate just how incredible Led Zeppelin were?

I don't get the fuss with Led Zepp. A few of my mates listened to them all the time in high school, I just found their music very boring.

In a word, no. Black Eyed Peas, Boyzone, Westlife, any number of shit pop groups sell gazillions of records, and have sell out tours galore. Doesn't mean they're not shit.

A little bit different though, Bon Jovi outsell Boyzone in one album, and have sold over 70 million more than both the Black Eyed Peas and Westlife.

They've still never written anything that I'd like to buy or choose to listen to.

So, basically what you're saying is that if you don't like them they're not good and anyone into music should have the same taste as you? Well, I've never heard anything more stupid. I won't stand up for Bon Jovi (or BEP, Boyzone etc) even if I like their old stuff. I can see why people think they're overrated, but to say that anyone "into music" likes them is just pure BS.

And then, if I didn't get it wrong, you say that Nirvana took music back to its' roots or something like that, just like Sex Pistols and The Clash. Well, Sex Pistols were nowhere anything like music, they couldn't even play, so that must be the roots av shite music. Though, Nirvana wasn't really shite even if I think they're overrated.

What the hell is overrated in music, anyway? People mention Queen, The Beatles, U2, Elvis and so on and so forth. I guess overrated music is bands that have sold gazillions of records, played for millions of people and broken grounds but that some doesn't like. I agree with some of those mentioned, mind you. I'd add Bob Dylan for one, so I'm not better than anyone else.

No, what I'm saying is just because you sell millions of record, it doesn't make you a good band. I stand by what I say, no one I know who is seriously into music listens to Bon Jovi. No one. They are undoubtedly popular, but that means nothing. Hitler was popular at one stage in his life!

Also I'm not saying Nirvana / Pistols / The Clash are took music back to it's roots. I'm saying they took it back to a rawer state, and moved away from the bloated, preposterous states of some of the music being produced before they came on the scene.

I admit that over rated is entirely in the eye of the beholder, and that one man's Beatles is another man's Spice Girls. No one will ever agree on a definitive list of 'over rated' bands, but the whole point of this thread is to have a bit of fun discussing music we like or hate.

I know for a fact there are a lot of bands, that I love that most people wouldn't ever consider listening to and vice versa. I'll not lose any sleep over that, but damn straight I'll give my opinion if I feel I can contribute to a discussion.

In a word, no. Black Eyed Peas, Boyzone, Westlife, any number of shit pop groups sell gazillions of records, and have sell out tours galore. Doesn't mean they're not shit.

A little bit different though, Bon Jovi outsell Boyzone in one album, and have sold over 70 million more than both the Black Eyed Peas and Westlife.

They've still never written anything that I'd like to buy or choose to listen to.

So, basically what you're saying is that if you don't like them they're not good and anyone into music should have the same taste as you? Well, I've never heard anything more stupid. I won't stand up for Bon Jovi (or BEP, Boyzone etc) even if I like their old stuff. I can see why people think they're overrated, but to say that anyone "into music" likes them is just pure BS.

And then, if I didn't get it wrong, you say that Nirvana took music back to its' roots or something like that, just like Sex Pistols and The Clash. Well, Sex Pistols were nowhere anything like music, they couldn't even play, so that must be the roots av shite music. Though, Nirvana wasn't really shite even if I think they're overrated.

What the hell is overrated in music, anyway? People mention Queen, The Beatles, U2, Elvis and so on and so forth. I guess overrated music is bands that have sold gazillions of records, played for millions of people and broken grounds but that some doesn't like. I agree with some of those mentioned, mind you. I'd add Bob Dylan for one, so I'm not better than anyone else.

No, what I'm saying is just because you sell millions of record, it doesn't make you a good band. I stand by what I say, no one I know who is seriously into music listens to Bon Jovi. No one. They are undoubtedly popular, but that means nothing. Hitler was popular at one stage in his life!

Also I'm not saying Nirvana / Pistols / The Clash are took music back to it's roots. I'm saying they took it back to a rawer state, and moved away from the bloated, preposterous states of some of the music being produced before they came on the scene.

I admit that over rated is entirely in the eye of the beholder, and that one man's Beatles is another man's Spice Girls. No one will ever agree on a definitive list of 'over rated' bands, but the whole point of this thread is to have a bit of fun discussing music we like or hate.

I know for a fact there are a lot of bands, that I love that most people wouldn't ever consider listening to and vice versa. I'll not lose any sleep over that, but damn straight I'll give my opinion if I feel I can contribute to a discussion.

I can agree with most of that, apart from the thing about Bon Jovi and people who're really "into music". I know plenty of those people who like their early stuff. "Runaway" is a brilliant song, for example. But the rest I agree on. Not that I necessarily think that the "rawer state" was a good thing, but still.

I can agree with most of that, apart from the thing about Bon Jovi and people who're really "into music". I know plenty of those people who like their early stuff. "Runaway" is a brilliant song, for example. But the rest I agree on. Not that I necessarily think that the "rawer state" was a good thing, but still.

Fair enough. Everyone has their own taste, even if they are all wrong and I'm right! :winkold:

Fair enough. Everyone has their own taste, even if they are all wrong and I'm right! :winkold:

:lol: Well, I was once told by a girl that she envied my musical taste, so I guess mine is quite perfect. :P

Hitler was popular at one stage in his life
Godwin's Law invoked. Close thread.

Has anyone ever compared Bon Jovi to Hitler when invoking Godwin's Law before though?

Aah glad someone brought up Kings of Leon - they WERE good. Then they went mainstream and were utter utter SHITE.

Charmer and Molly's Chambers gave way to fecking Sex on Fire, which is IMO the most overrated song ever.

Their old stuff bores me, I can sing along to their new stuff.

That's the middle aged woman's answer....Kings of Leon were best when you couldn't make out the lyrics...Now they've gone all Phil Collins....It's a shame!

Nope, it's the 'person who likes to sing along to music' answer as well.

I like music that isn't always as melodic, but I've listened to their old albums and they just bore me. A bunch of their old songs repeat the same melody over and over and over in the space of a few seconds and it just grates on me.

I'm having a huge Nirvana moment now thanks to this thread.

Going to plow through the albums and watch the 92 Reading set.

Funnily enough this thread also made me have bit of a Nirvana binge last week.

Was listening to a bonus live set that was included on the Bleach re-release deluxe version earlier - live at Pine Street theatre from early 1990 - and tho short is suprisingly very , very good!

I say sprisingly as its Pre-Grohl on drums and tbh weren't expecting much clarity soundwise on this live recording from that time. But it is !

Make no mistake about it -nevermind all the bollocks that unfortunately surround Nirvana - they were quite **** very good

Pure energy

Sappy makes an appearance on it also

**** good live version of it as well

Why was Sappy never included on an album??

Baffling.

One of Nirvanas best songs and the live version of the bonus Bleach thing is great.

Foo Fighters - Seriously... how boring and uncharismatic can a band be? There's nothing to them whatsoever.

Don't get people saying The Smiths. I understand if you didnt like Morrissey, he isnt really for everyone, but you have to admit the amount of people who have found comfort within his lyrics is pretty impressive. (Wasn't Cobain a big Smiths fan?)It's not that they're crap, it's just you dont understand them, or they do not relate to you as an individual. To me, a band who can do that are by no means over-hyped, they've changed people lives which is huge and not many band can do. The chemistry between Morrissey and Marr is really talented too. Magical.

Coldplay - Shite

Nirvana? - God knows how that's in the list for over-rated! Nevermind is a truly great listen. Incesticide and Bleach are also pretty cool. And Unplugged in NY is beautiful.

Oasis are very good at what they do. I can imagine being 18 when Definitely Maybe was released, and i bet it was incredible. Unfortunately i was actually like... 8 so i have no recollection. But they're okay.

EDIT: Whoever said Joy Division is soooooo wrong. Ian Curtis was a god.

Also - Not really an overrated... but more underated... if you havent heard it, get PJ Harvey's album Dry. Was her first album, and it's so good. Think it's is Cobains top 20 albums... she's **** ace!

Â