Ratings & Reactions: Wolves v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

136 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/04/22 at 23:00

The more things change, the more they stay the same. We are maxed out as a unit. Our level is about where we are are. Mid table. Classic Aston Villa.

Our best performer on the day given the hook because he isn't "The Scottish Meatball".

We were arguably unlucky conceding those goals, but as soon as we let in the first, total paranoia swept through the team. 

We still have a weak mentality. When the going gets tough for Villa, our players panic as a reflex. 

And we employ a team psychologist?

They are taking the piss.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nigel said:

No blame is given to Gerrard today for me, we played ok at times, but this team really needs work if we are to get anywhere. 

Coutinho was invisible too, well marshalled maybe, but we need to find ways of creating when he's like this.

Buendia has to be an answer somehow. He added an extra dimension when he came on, he really is fun to watch at times. He was the best player we had today and he was only on 10 mins and barely touched the ball, that says a lot!

How can you say Gerrard takes no blame and then note that Coutinho was quiet and Buendia was great for the 10 minutes he had. Buendia was playing well when he was dropped a few games ago, it's obvious he needs to play yet Gerrard fails to see it.

Same as Sansom, he looked really tidy and was growing into the game more and more yet he gets pulled off while Ramsey and McGinn get left on, they were clearly struggling after so many games and the internationals.

Gerrard makes mistakes, its expected , he needs to learn from them though and I'm not sure he is. 

• Like 1

I'm not one for flippant post-match overreactions, but I honestly wouldn't mind if we sold McGinn in the summer... and I think we might. Hasn't been up to scratch in a while now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Beastmix said:

I'm not one for flippant post-match overreactions, but I honestly wouldn't mind if we sold McGinn in the summer... and I think we might. Hasn't been up to scratch in a while now.

Just one of a number of players who let us down badly today.

• Like 1

Difference today was one team despite missing their 2 best players are well coached and can execute a game plan. The other is a collection of overhyped individuals who are poorly coached by a manager who cannot change tactics to suit each opponent.

Pride of the Midlands my arse. We're an expensive, overhyped team with no clue or direction and that's why we've lost so many games. I really do worry we're going down the Everton route because we spend so much money and bring in big name players but constantly underperform on the pitch.

When all you want is the season to end as soon as possible it sort of tells its own story. 

2 minutes ago, tinker said:

How can you say Gerrard takes no blame and then note that Coutinho was quiet and Buendia was great for the 10 minutes he had. Buendia was playing well when he was dropped a few games ago, it's obvious he needs to play yet Gerrard fails to see it.

Same as Sansom, he looked really tidy and was growing into the game more and more yet he gets pulled off while Ramsey and McGinn get left on, they were clearly struggling after so many games and the internationals.

Gerrard makes mistakes, its expected , he needs to learn from them though and I'm not sure he is. 

Gerrard has to get Coutinho and Buendia in the same 11. If it means dropping Ramsey, so be it.

There are thirteen entries in the Roget's Thesaurus for excrement and none of them seemed strong enough to sum up Villa's performance.

It always seems to happen when they return from the international break, with their heads in the clouds and their feet not quite on the ground.

Too many futile attempts at appeals for fouls, while the opposition runs off with the ball.

Too many under-hit passes and poor clearances.

And even then, two one-on-one chances were created for our England centre-forward and he fluffed both of them.

In short bloody awful!

1 minute ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Difference today was one team despite missing their 2 best players are well coached and can execute a game plan. The other is a collection of overhyped individuals who are poorly coached by a manager who cannot change tactics to suit each opponent.

Pride of the Midlands my arse. We're an expensive, overhyped team with no clue or direction and that's why we've lost so many games. I really do worry we're going down the Everton route because we spend so much money and bring in big name players but constantly underperform on the pitch.

When all you want is the season to end as soon as possible it sort of tells its own story. 

Not long now and your wish will be granted, hang in there. 

I was only half-watching the first half, so what I say is mostly based on the second half, but...

--Midfield is still our problem.

--That said, this combination of forwards wasn't very convincing either.

--Sanson looked better than any of McGinn, Dougie, or JJ have looked recently in midfield, but is no magic solution.

--Wolves were a model of what an organized midfield should look like, even without Neves. It looked like something out of the Arrigo Sacchi playbook...keep the lines compact so there's no space between them. We couldn't find space. And our midfield isn't as organized.

--We need to find a way to get both Buendia and Coutinho in the team. With only one creative player, they can mark him out. That said, it hasn't really worked playing them both in a 4-3-3.

--Watkins didn't miss the first one-on-one; it was a subtle, fine piece of goalkeeping where the keeper spread himself wide and forced Ollie to shoot wide. I've seen Emi do that before too.

--Young has become mistake-prone. That's the second mistake he's made recently that cost us a goal. (Though, interestingly, both were when he drifted into the centre to cover for the centre backs who weren't there.) I'm afraid that the end is near for him as a player. But I bet that he ends up on Gerrard's coaching staff.

Edited by TomC

Just now, Paul33 said:

Whatever the questions here, it is so obvious that the answer is Keinan Davis ...... just do it ! #KeinanTime

Question: who should be sold in the summer?

Not bothered if we sign Coutinho permanently because long-term hes not the answer. Watkins kept running and won the penalty and missed a couple of one on ones. We looked better when Buendia came on but getting sick of Gerrard with his tactics and favouritism. 

7 minutes ago, Nigel said:

You mean the tactic for 2 players to slip over and another to score an own goal?

Yep all wrong!

You blaming the loss on the slips?

Sanson MOTM, can't understand why he got subbed. Should have been McGinn to have been subbed first.

Villa are very poor and a soft team for almost any opposition to play against.

Now we can say officially on the beach, a win today might have given us distant hope for eighth.

Can we stay top ten?

There were positives today in bits and bobs, but it was a leggy and disjointed performance. My theory is we have struggled with the players returning from international break late. You have to respect that Wolves were calmer and look more organised in key moments of the match. There was an intelligence gap in our play and theirs, not a quality gap - we created enough to win the game on another day. Hugely frustrating, but it is far too early to write Gerrard off or be pessimistic about the future. UTV!

18 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Wolves didn't deserve to win that game, they didn't even have to show up today we just handed the points to them. 

2 bits of luck and a well drilled defence meant this was over early on. Its really hard to come back from a goal down in this league which shows the need to cut out the mistakes.

No blame is given to Gerrard today for me, we played ok at times, but this team really needs work if we are to get anywhere. 

If Watkins was good enough we get away with at least a point today, unfortunately hard running won't be good enough for where we want to go.

Mings and konsa were both guilty of a lack of awareness in situations, which then led to mistakes.

Coutinho was invisible too, well marshalled maybe, but we need to find ways of creating when he's like this.

Buendia has to be an answer somehow. He added an extra dimension when he came on, he really is fun to watch at times. He was the best player we had today and he was only on 10 mins and barely touched the ball, that says a lot!

You and I may have been watching different matches.

• Like 1

Â