Ratings & Reactions: Wolves v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

136 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/04/22 at 23:00

2 hours ago, tinker said:

How can you say Gerrard takes no blame and then note that Coutinho was quiet and Buendia was great for the 10 minutes he had. Buendia was playing well when he was dropped a few games ago, it's obvious he needs to play yet Gerrard fails to see it.

Same as Sansom, he looked really tidy and was growing into the game more and more yet he gets pulled off while Ramsey and McGinn get left on, they were clearly struggling after so many games and the internationals.

Gerrard makes mistakes, its expected , he needs to learn from them though and I'm not sure he is. 

I think he is.....but he doesn't have the personnel to fix it.

Knowing whats wrong and fixing it....is two different things.

Maybe like me, many fans expected him to instill a bit of his own temperament in to them.....but I think, he is struggling to do so.

It needs a rethink.....and judging by the recruiting meetings going on, it seems like there is a rethink.

Edited by TRO

32 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Problem is, he still plays every minute of every single game, even now that we have other options. 

Yes Gerrard loves him as much as  DS. He was actually subbed v Newcastle late on so I thought that was changing of the guard moment but appears not.

No way does Sanson deserve to be dropped though as he was probably our best CM today with Ramsey on the fringes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

when most of our players are much the same.....how can we change the game.

The problem was borne out of previous windows of recruiting players, much the same as we already had.....we are a better version of Everton.

But these players have shown they can perform at a higher level than what they are now, they are underperforming and that's the issue.

Buendia changed the game when he came on but it was to late. Sansom should not have been brought off, he was influencing the game more than the other midfielders. These are errors that need to be addressed. Sansom should start the next game, my guess is he won't. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

e were out thought by Lage - he's a really organised manager and particularly in the first half Wolves found ways to completely nullify any threat we had -

They seemed to have 10 / 11 men behind the ball , we were too inept to unlock them and when we inevitably gave the ball away they stormed forward very quickly on the counter attack … West Ham do similar 

it’s like every decent(ish) team in this league is fitter , faster and more committed than we are 

I don’t  know if Gerrard is the problem or that the players aren’t good enough to play in the way he wants them to play but it’s a real concern going forward 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Nigel said:

We had more possession, more shots and more shots on target and their 2 goals were ridiculously lucky.

If Watkins could finish we come away with at least a point.

Explain how 'they were better than us all day long' then?

Nigel, They were streets better than us....After they scored and got the fortunate second, ( but credit to them for chasing the ball down)they just bullied us and managed the game out.....We was never really in it, ( in boxing terms, out pointed)....sure the scoreline and chances may say different, but they was first to most balls, won the second balls and stopped us playing.....and we didn't stop them playing.....We just lost the ball often in duels.

The best team won, and there was never going to be a reverse of the last episode, because they have more about them, to get back in to games....They done a number on us, because they know our weaknesses.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, skell said:

Well we will. A defensive midfielder, a good one, solves so many problems.   Clearly  watkins and McGinn are not top 6 quality. They need replacing too

I wouldn't give up on either, just yet......fix the centre midfield and we might see an uplift in both.

but until we do fix it......I see more of the same.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, danceoftheshamen said:

Getting really fed up with this shocking number of defeats we have to keep enduring. It's actually getting a bit embarrassing now. Didn't really know what to expect today apart from we are always poor after international breaks so i called the 1-2 scoreline bizarrely. This losing mentality needs to stop.

Dreading next two games now.

I don't see it changing...until we bring players in who can change it......and I mean a dominating force.

I thought SG could,instill it,  but its clear he can't, without surgery.

Its hard to get the team fired up for the physical battle when they are so slightly built, they tackle of sorts, but not physically imposing, we need a few......when teams stand off us and let us play, we are a sight to behold....we have the talent, just not the muscle to go with it.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

Most clubs would be pleased with A combination of :

• Coutinho
  • Watkins
  • Ings
  • Bailey

Where does it get much better than that, on paper?...

Its further back where the problems lie, and it has had a knock on effect in the team....it drains the life out of the offensive players, by not being able to defend, properly.

We are Lightweight, eveywhere, we get bossed around and shoved off the ball, that makes the opposition grow in confidence and left too long, it drains the confidence out of us....Referee's cannot be expected to protect us, we have to do it ourselves and we haven't got the types to do it.....I don't mean Neanderthals, I mean physically prepared players who can play and dominate the ball and their territory.....to give the forwards a chance to play.

It been left, too long......and the belief has gone out of the team.....Messi, wouldn't change this....we have Coutinho now, and still the same problem persists.

Arsenal, went through it before they signed Partey, and it has taken him some time to make his mark.....Partey and Xhaka.....every good side has one or two.....we play, 2 offensive players there and expect results...madness, but inevitable under the circumstances.

Mings plays behind Rice for England and looks composed, is it really a shock.

This won't go away, until we fix it.....and in the meantime, until we do, we will have displays like this.

Yep! We lack the physical prowess to fight fire with fire and lack the technical prowess to make opponents chase shadows.

We also lack leaders, particularly in the middle of the park. Everytime we concede an early goal we end up camped in our own half, our midfield incapable of keeping possession. We need a proper midfield general!

Our fullbacks were a problem today too though, they struggled to cope with Wolve wingers.

Everytime a team gets stuck into us early and puts us on the backfoot we concede a stupid goal and go into our shells for a half, this has been the main problem we've had ALL SEASON, it's not just an issue under Gerrard. We've lost and natural leader in the dressing / Back room (Terry), and our tailiman on the pitch and we look rudderless as soon as we get thrown into deep waters.

I would rather us bring Jack back then sign Coutinho (however i'd love to keep Coutinho as well), Jack was so good at alieviating pressure by buying a freekick, or giving us some confidence by beating a few players. He lifted the team.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, tinker said:

But these players have shown they can perform at a higher level than what they are now, they are underperforming and that's the issue.

Buendia changed the game when he came on but it was to late. Sansom should not have been brought off, he was influencing the game more than the other midfielders. These are errors that need to be addressed. Sansom should start the next game, my guess is he won't. 

I thought he did well, when he came on, but change the game? not for me.

I thought Sanson, should have stayed on......but its all much of a muchness for me.

I say it again......I don't think the contrast is in the squad, to make the difference.....Its not like he has Henderson to bring on or Rice, or players of that ilk......thats the sort of contrast, I am talking about.

Edited by TRO

4 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Yep! We lack the physical prowess to fight fire with fire and lack the technical prowess to make opponents chase shadows.

We also lack leaders, particularly in the middle of the park. Everytime we concede an early goal we end up camped in our own half, our midfield incapable of keeping possession. We need a proper midfield general!

Our fullbacks were a problem today too though, they struggled to cope with Wolve wingers.

Everytime a team gets stuck into us early and puts us on the backfoot we concede a stupid goal and go into our shells for a half, this has been the main problem we've had ALL SEASON, it's not just an issue under Gerrard. We've lost and natural leader in the dressing / Back room (Terry), and our tailiman on the pitch and we look rudderless as soon as we get thrown into deep waters.

I would rather us bring Jack back then sign Coutinho (however i'd love to keep Coutinho as well), Jack was so good at alieviating pressure by buying a freekick, or giving us some confidence by beating a few players. He lifted the team.

I agree.

Jack could stay on the ball and that was invaluable to us, because the ball stuck up front and now it doesn't....but hey ho, we have to look forward.

Bailey, imo, is not what we wanted....but I am loathe to judge him, until the centre midfield id fixed.....because i think if we fix this well, many of our players will come back to life.

This issue, will not go away, and our problems will stay with us, until we fix it....we may get the odd lift in certain games, but it is an issue, none the less.

Mentality is a big issue, agreed. I never see the team annoyed that they have lost a game. They walked off today like it ment nothing. Gerrard needs to grow some big balls and drop players when they don't perform. To many players know they will be on the team sheet, poor game or not.

To be fair though, when you have a striker as poor as Watkin's has been lately, that's going to be 50% of the problem.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, delboy54 said:

TRO, your comments absolutely nail the issues the Villa have, I would like to think that the coaching staff see what you see but I am not convinced....

Regards

Derek

Derek.....I would hate to think, professional football people fail to see what I see, that would spook me......I think SG can see it, but can't do anything until the summer.

I would not know what to do with this squad....in terms of picking a team, such is the imbalance of the type of players available, to the manager.

The problem with this subject is, it sounds like the players are not good enough, when some clearly are......but a few holes can cause disruption and make them look poor.

You could pick a variety of teams and tactics, from our squad and make no difference to the results.....and I think that is the problem SG faces.

I also think the higher ups, know this too.....I just hope we can scramble the points to keep us safe.

Edited by TRO

59 minutes ago, Newry_Villan said:

Good job I was painting the living room and only half listening to TV in the kitchen. 

is your paint job like the villa........one half good, the other half pants.

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Mentality is a big issue, agreed. I never see the team annoyed that they have lost a game. They walked off today like it ment nothing. Gerrard needs to grow some big balls and drop players when they don't perform. To many players know they will be on the team sheet, poor game or not.

To be fair though, when you have a striker as poor as Watkin's has been lately, that's going to be 50% of the problem.

He has to keep the dressing room for 8 games......after that, he will have his own men.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Most clubs would be pleased with a combination of :

• Coutinho
  • Watkins
  • Ings
  • Bailey

Where does it get much better than that, on paper?...

i agree with everything you said after this, im just not sure we have the right combination of these forwards just yet.

Also where does Buendia fit or Traore or even Archer net season. There is a lot of work to be done here yet I think.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Most of us could probably name next Saturdays team now and it 100% will include mcginn and Ramsey who were poor today 

Can't blame carney for not wanting to sign when there's no way into this side 

That cm enforcer is so badly needed. Really lightweight in the middle today. Sanson the best player but you can't have 2/3 midfielders underperforming and expect to win football matches 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Nigel said:

i agree with everything you said after this, im just not sure we have the right combination of these forwards just yet.

Also where does Buendia fit or Traore or even Archer net season. There is a lot of work to be done here yet I think.

There is a lot of work to do......but.

I just happen to think a couple of robust midfielders who can play a bit, passthe ball well and dominate the centre, could see a lot of our questionable players gain confidence.

I feel many of our faults could be erased, by the right type of players coming in.

when something is wrong, it can have a knock on effect, and more seems wrong manifestly than really is.

• Like 1

Â