The Oscars 2022

Stevo985

9 hours ago, Chindie said:

Away from Will Smith having a  breakdown/bizarro publicity spike, saw some discussion going round that Wesley Snipes looked ill. And while it's not the first thing a photo of him from the Oscars would make you think (that's his awful outfit), he does look much thinner and older than you'd expect.

oscar-red-carpet-wesley-snipes-mc-220326

He looks rough.

He's preparing for his next film, " New Crack City ".

Will Smith was asked to leave the venue after he hit Rock but he refused.

Will Smith was asked to leave the Oscars ceremony after hitting Chris Rock but refused, the Academy says.

The event's organising body also said it had initiated "disciplinary proceedings" against Smith.

Smith slapped Rock after the comic made a joke about his wife Jada Pinkett Smith's shaved head, a result of the hair-loss condition alopecia. 

The actor - who won the first Oscar of his career at the ceremony - has since apologised. 

In its statement, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences said: "Mr Smith was asked to leave the ceremony and refused, [but] we also recognize we could have handled the situation differently."

It also announced it had "initiated disciplinary proceedings against Mr Smith for violations of the Academy's Standards of Conduct".

These include inappropriate physical contact, abusive or threatening behaviour, and compromising the integrity of the Academy, it said.

The Academy said action may be taken at its next board meeting on 18 April. That may include "suspension, expulsion, or other sanctions," the statement said.

It also apologised directly to Rock, as well as nominees, guests and viewers.

I wonder if they’ll make an example of him, maybe even strip him of the Oscar he won.

BBC

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Genie said:

I wonder if they’ll make an example of him, maybe even strip him of the Oscar he won.

BBC

He should 100% have his Oscar taken away and it be awarded to whoever had the next highest count, hopefully Andrew Garfield. Chris Rock should sue him to the max too.

• Like 1

On 30/03/2022 at 09:34, Genie said:

I’m still perplexed that someone at the Oscars was able to get up out of his seat, hit the host, and then sit back down like nothing happened.

The later, pick up an award and spend the rest of the night partying. 

What kind of parallel universe is that?

He received a standing ovation too from what looked like most of the room, says a lot about society. 

2 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

He should 100% have his Oscar taken away and it be awarded to whoever had the next highest count, hopefully Andrew Garfield. Chris Rock should sue him to the max too.

How can they do that and keep the facade of the Oscars being about the best of the year?

To do that says Will Smith was best but we don't like him, here, you were second best but have this award anyway because you are nice

Who would want that award?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Phil Silvers said:

He received a standing ovation too from what looked like most of the room, says a lot about society. 

I think they should all be pretty embarrassed about that. Just shows how shallow they are. He turns on the tears without apologising at the time and is instantly forgiven and given a standing ovation. What a room full of clearings in the woods.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

How can they do that and keep the facade of the Oscars being about the best of the year?

To do that says Will Smith was best but we don't like him, here, you were second best but have this award anyway because you are nice

Who would want that award?

I wouldn't want it for sure but it's a bit more then we don't like someone and here have this because you are nice.

3 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

I wouldn't want it for sure but it's a bit more then we don't like someone and here have this because you are nice.

Not in terms of the award it isn't. By removing it from Smith, they are saying that they don't award the prizes to the best which is precisely what the Oscars are meant to be

They'd be saying you don't deserve that award because you are a word removed.

It lays open the absolute farce that this award ceremony is. (and all the others for that matter)

They really can't do that, it busts open the myth

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

Not in terms of the award it isn't. By removing it from Smith, they are saying that they don't award the prizes to the best which is precisely what the Oscars are meant to be

They'd be saying you don't deserve that award because you are a word removed.

It lays open the absolute farce that this award ceremony is. (and all the others for that matter)

They really can't do that, it busts open the myth

Ah yes I get you now, Spacey should hand his back among others if that's the case. Yes it's an acting award, thats all.

20 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I believe the academy have said they will not be stripping him of his Oscar. 

Right decision imo.

I think he should be suspended from the academy and potentially banned from future ceremonies. But I'm not sure what the precedent is on things like this. There probably isn't one

• Like 1

Stripping him of the award opens up a can of worms. 
Kicking him out of academy and telling him he won’t be invited to the awards for the foreseeable future sends a good message.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

they are saying that they don't award the prizes to the best which is precisely what the Oscars are meant to be

i think you've hit the nail on the head with "meant" 

in some / maybe a lot of instance The Oscars go to whoever does the most lobbying and gives the biggest sweeteners , all unofficially of course as that is forbidden  :) 

As for Smith, he usually comes across as quite likeable , I'd imagine he's popular with a lot of his peers , i guess they wanted to show him some love after what happened however ill intentioned that now looks in hindsight   , he clearly looked like a man heading for a breakdown , hopefully his award helps him get to a better place  , taking it off him achieves nothing , he's apologised lets move on .

Awards are **** dumb and so is the concept of celebrity, and actors treated like gods by viewers and media.

I’d much rather see a key grip get teary eyed thanking god and the company that makes the dolly for making it all happen.

2 hours ago, Genie said:

BBC

'You slapped a person on stage, this is a potential criminal case and you need to leave'

'No, I'll stay'

'Ok, that's fine'. 

17 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

'You slapped a person on stage, this is a potential criminal case and you need to leave'

'No, I'll stay'

'Ok, that's fine'. 

I assume they tried to do it in the ad break and when he said no they didn’t have much choice but to let it go. 

1 minute ago, Genie said:

I assume they tried to do it in the ad break and when he said no they didn’t have much choice but to let it go. 

This is so bizarre. 

“Your behaviour is unacceptable. Please leave”

”No”

”Oh ok. Well go up on stage, collect an award and make a speech instead”

• Like 1