Aston Villa Kits 22/23

Demitri_C

6 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Never understand why manufacturers can't just get that shade of claret from the outset. Luke is the only one in recent memory that got it.

The thing is, technically whatever our kit is, is the "right" shade by virtue of being approved by the club. But I completely understand what you're saying.

The issue comes from defining what the actual shades of claret and blue are. You ask 10 fans on here and they're likely to give you 10 different answers.

"Too light", "too dark", "too purple", "not like the Nike Acorns kit", "needs to be more similar to the league winning kit..."

Edited by StanBalaban
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

The thing is, technically whatever our kit is, is the "right" shade by virtue of being approved by the club. But I completely understand what you're saying.

The issue comes from defining what the actual shades of claret and blue are. You ask 10 fans on here and they're likely to give you 10 different answers.

"Too light", "too dark", "too purple", "not like the Nike Acorns kit", "needs to be more similar to the league winning kit..."

Yeah that's a good point. Whatever the club think it is is what it is I guess. My personal shade combo that was spot on was the promotion kit. A claret that's closer to the red side and a blue that's bright and vibrant. The combination looks regal. Compared to say Burnley or West Ham's washed out tones.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jim said:

Made even worse it’s been the same manufacturers as the Luke kit.

Luke kit had nothing to do with him btw it was designed by Fanatics.

Our Creative Director, Luke Roper elaborates on the innovative new kit partner deal with Aston Villa and Fanatics. Luke is buzzing as he discusses the collaboration, his love of Aston Villa, his first impression of Fanatics and his memories of claret and blue kits of the past. He also gives his verdict on the 2018/19 kit, a strip he has been involved in from a design perspective.

Edited by Jas10

7 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Our Creative Director, Luke Roper elaborates on the innovative new kit partner deal with Aston Villa and Fanatics. Luke is buzzing as he discusses the collaboration, his love of Aston Villa, his first impression of Fanatics and his memories of claret and blue kits of the past. He also gives his verdict on the 2018/19 kit, a strip he has been involved in from a design perspective.

All marketing. 

From Purslow:

https://astonvilla.vitalfootball.co.uk/the-aston-villa-fan-consultation-group-1st-meeting-with-ceo-christian-purslow-minutes/

The current agreement on kit supply provision, and branding, is perhaps misunderstood, Mr Purslow suggested. The designer and producer of the kit is Fanatics. Hugely respected within the sports industry and a maker of many other high-profile team apparel. Luke, a local retail clothing brand, has a marketing-only agreement with the club.

• Like 1

Just a thought.

In digital media where colour is concerned, even if you consistently use the correct colour code it won't always look the same for everybody. This is because of different screen types, different screen settings (i.e. brightness, contrast .etc) and various other factors.

I wonder if there's a similar thing in fashion, like dye's look different on different materials, how materials react to different types of light, that kind of thing. @NurembergVillan may be able to elaborate.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

I’ll start this post by saying I have absolutely no idea what I’m talking about, but I wonder why we don’t have a fixed claret and blue from RGB codes that we use on everything. Not just kits but on everything. Seems like anything between red and purple is acceptable.

Maybe it’s just not feasible, but I’m sure some companies do that. I think Cadburys always use that specific purple for example.

All good brands do it.

In the state of Abu Dhabi they even have a national guide that determines the exact shade of taxis etc.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Just a thought.

In digital media where colour is concerned, even if you consistently use the correct colour code it won't always look the same for everybody. This is because of different screen types, different screen settings (i.e. brightness, contrast .etc) and various other factors.

I wonder if there's a similar thing in fashion, like dye's look different on different materials, how materials react to different types of light, that kind of thing. @NurembergVillan may be able to elaborate.

My left and right eyes see shades slightly differently after a bout of idiopathic optic neuritis back in 2005. 

Important to note that screen colour, print colour and real life are all different, in the gamut (range and intensity of colour) they can show and how colour is presented (screen colour is made by light or ‘additive’, higher colour value = brighter and print and dye is ‘subtractive’ where more colour = darker). It is difficult to match (and as NV says it will look close in some environments and way off in others) but we do seem to do a poor job of it on the whole.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Important to note that screen colour, print colour and real life are all different, in the gamut (range and intensity of colour) they can show and how colour is presented (screen colour is made by light or ‘additive’, higher colour value = brighter and print and dye is ‘subtractive’ where more colour = darker). It is difficult to match (and as NV says it will look close in some environments and way off in others) but we do seem to do a poor job of it on the whole.

30 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

That's exactly correct.  Colours show up differently in daylight, fluorescent light, spots and regular house lighting.  When approving colour Pantones on what we call "lab dips" (where the factory sends a small swatch of fabric dyed to match your selected colour) we would view them in a lightbox to ensure the variance is kept to a minimum when the garment is worn in different environments.

For fabrics too, some take colour better than others - and hold on to them for longer too.  A good quality polyester will absorb and hold a lot of dye so it keeps the original colour for longer (forever), whereas nylon are great for strong bright colours like neons, but can fade out over time.  Cotton is better with softer colours as brights just don't absorb into the fibres so well.

Interesting. So do we think the variation in the shade of claret on the kits is down to trying to match whatever the official brand colour is on different materials and dyes each year, and just not doing a great or consistent job of it?

I get that it's never going to be 100% the same, I've encountered enough trouble between screen and print to know that.

I'd also imagine claret itself is a slightly more difficult colour to work with than some others, simply because the balance only has to be slightly out before it becomes too 'purple' or too 'red'.

9 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Interesting. So do we think the variation in the shade of claret on the kits is down to trying to match whatever the official brand colour is on different materials and dyes each year, and just not doing a great or consistent job of it?

I get that it's never going to be 100% the same, I've encountered enough trouble between screen and print to know that.

I'd also imagine claret itself is a slightly more difficult colour to work with than some others, simply because the balance only has to be slightly out before it becomes too 'purple' or too 'red'.

NV will definitely know more than me, but I reckon it’s likely we do have colours in our brand guidelines for kits that aren’t being particularly accurately matched at manufacture, and isn’t being strictly monitored by someone at the club. The Villa site will be based on a digital palette set by the brand guidelines I’m sure, although there’s 3 different shades there for UX purposes.

You could ask 10 people what Villa claret is and they’d all pick a different colour, there’s even four different colours I can see used on this page of VillaTalk!

On the last one humans actually have the best perception of green! Sucks for Plymouth fans

Edited by a m ole

1 hour ago, CarryOnVilla said:

5-D4-CF911-4-E13-4-DA0-B83-B-E381-EE4-B8

One of these is the official Villa’s hex colours, the others are not, which one is Villa’s

I would guess the first one, because that's what I remember when looking up Villa's hex colours to make kits in PES 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CarryOnVilla said:

5-D4-CF911-4-E13-4-DA0-B83-B-E381-EE4-B8

One of these is the official Villa’s hex colours, the others are not, which one is Villa’s

I'm guessing C. Purely because of the blue, which the club has insisted on washing out as much as possible in recent years.

In terms of what the colours should be, my opinion is B (or closest to).

Edited by est1874

4 hours ago, est1874 said:

I'm guessing C. Purely because of the blue, which the club has insisted on washing out as much as possible in recent years.

In terms of what the colours should be, my opinion is B (or closest to).

No way should it be B, that's a cheapo Scunthorpe kit right there.

I'm going C.

Watch the correct answer be B now.

7 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

No way should it be B, that's a cheapo Scunthorpe kit right there.

I'm going C.

Watch the correct answer be B now.

B is by far the closest to the 1982 colours. So if you're calling our iconic European Cup winning shirt a cheapo Scunthorpe kit...........

A and C aren't even claret, way too much purple. Claret is a shade of red.

Edited by est1874

40 minutes ago, est1874 said:

B is by far the closest to the 1982 colours. So if you're calling our iconic European Cup winning shirt a cheapo Scunthorpe kit...........

A and C aren't even claret, way too much purple. Claret is a shade of red.

FTq-hHWXwAUq80g.jpeg

I'm not sure that B does represent that if honest. Could be my screen, mind you...

On 25/07/2022 at 22:45, id92 said:

New images of the third kit 

2D2E95DC-A32C-4A48-86EC-50E2CEDD8DC5.jpeg

92456ECE-9F3A-4649-94B9-4F5CBA998753.jpeg

This one isnt bad. I quite like it. Would have preferred this to away. For me the last two seaosnd the 3rd kits been better than the away kit