Aston Villa Kits 22/23

Demitri_C

17 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

That's exactly correct.  Colours show up differently in daylight, fluorescent light, spots and regular house lighting.  When approving colour Pantones on what we call "lab dips" (where the factory sends a small swatch of fabric dyed to match your selected colour) we would view them in a lightbox to ensure the variance is kept to a minimum when the garment is worn in different environments.

For fabrics too, some take colour better than others - and hold on to them for longer too.  A good quality polyester will absorb and hold a lot of dye so it keeps the original colour for longer (forever), whereas nylon are great for strong bright colours like neons, but can fade out over time.  Cotton is better with softer colours as brights just don't absorb into the fibres so well.

This is probably why when i was looking at one of the training tops i could see only green but everyone else was tellin me it was grey 

18 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

5-D4-CF911-4-E13-4-DA0-B83-B-E381-EE4-B8

One of these is the official Villa’s hex colours, the others are not, which one is Villa’s

Could be exemplifying exactly what has been said about screens impacting the way colours look... but to me,  A is too washed out, B has the wrong blue, and C is close but looks way too purple rather than claret.

So I say none of them

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Interesting. So do we think the variation in the shade of claret on the kits is down to trying to match whatever the official brand colour is on different materials and dyes each year, and just not doing a great or consistent job of it?

I get that it's never going to be 100% the same, I've encountered enough trouble between screen and print to know that.

I'd also imagine claret itself is a slightly more difficult colour to work with than some others, simply because the balance only has to be slightly out before it becomes too 'purple' or too 'red'.

It's most likely the club not having a defined reference.  There's no excuse for the base fabric not to always be exactly correct.

There's a company out in the US called CSI that will create the dye recipe for ANY colour - you can even send them a cutting of, say, the 1982 jersey - and they will generate a reference number, send dyed swatches to you and create the correct recipe for any fabric you wish to dye in that colour.

If I were advising on the "brand" side of AVFC, this would be one of the first things I'd suggest they implement.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

It's most likely the club not having a defined reference.  There's no excuse for the base fabric not to always be exactly correct.

There's a company out in the US called CSI that will create the dye recipe for ANY colour - you can even send them a cutting of, say, the 1982 jersey - and they will generate a reference number, send dyed swatches to you and create the correct recipe for any fabric you wish to dye in that colour.

If I were advising on the "brand" side of AVFC, this would be one of the first things I'd suggest they implement.

I see, so you are leaning more towards whoever is in charge of branding for the club has been changing the colour and possibly we aren't using the company you mentioned and so the colour might not be matched quite as accurately as it maybe could.

It could be that we've changed the company in charge of branding multiple times, and each new company that has stepped in has changed the colour, this would explain the wild variations we've had. I wouldn't be surprised.

It's a shame really because consistency is key, and constant changing of something as important as the colour isn't going to result in a strong brand.

51 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

I see, so you are leaning more towards whoever is in charge of branding for the club has been changing the colour and possibly we aren't using the company you mentioned and so the colour might not be matched quite as accurately as it maybe could.

It's more likely that we don't have that corporate identity in place or that we don't dig our heels in when brands are showing us their "claret". Or both.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

It's more likely that we don't have that corporate identity in place or that we don't dig our heels in when brands are showing us their "claret". Or both.

I wonder if the changing of the crest announcement is a sign that we'll be bringing in a stronger branding/identity going forward. At the very least it shows they are looking at ways to improve that side of things.

9 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

A. Burnley. 
B. West Ham. 
C. Aston Villa

Thanks ... I was going to guess C but was too chicken. I was thinking of getting last year's Villa shirt out of the draw and holding it up to the screen.

I note that the last two kits had stripes in them (and a rhetorical question) which is the the correct claret hue?

I think the solution to this is have all Villa supporters calibrated in an an appropriate light box and if necessary have them equipped with the appropriate claret tinted spectacles (coloured filters). But we should be aware this will throw off the blue, white and yellow.

Edited by fruitvilla

That away shirt is seriously embarrassing ...... not because of the colour but because it turns into a sweat pit as soon as the sun comes out. If I were a shirt sponsor, I'd be none too happy with my logo drowning in a sweaty rag. Either change the material or change the colour !!!

Edited by Paul33

On 04/08/2022 at 15:33, NurembergVillan said:

All good brands do it.

In the state of Abu Dhabi they even have a national guide that determines the exact shade of taxis etc.

I once got interrupted when presenting some slides at work by someone because I'd used the wrong blue in my graphs, it wasn't the correct corporate blue.

I was presenting about $12m of cost savings, but sure the colour of this slide that nobody is ever going to see is the important part...

Honestly I think Villa could release a kit with the most perfectly accurate shade of claret there has ever been and people would still be moaning that it's not proper claret.

I don't think people even know anymore