Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

17 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

They are also say Chukwuemeka agent has had talks with Barca. That I would believe, how he allowed to speak to them?  Thought he had over a year left

It came from the Spanish press originally - Barca can’t afford him under contract and not going forward 

15 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

It came from the Spanish press originally - Barca can’t afford him under contract and not going forward 

Yeah but how can his agent talk to them when he has over a year left?  Did villa let him.  I have often thought the reason why he is getting game time is to get his price up if he does leave on a free, as compensation will be due

Birmingham Live (link below) but, remember it is a Birmingham Live link:rolleyes:, reports that we have agreed £250,000 compensation with Hearts and will be signing Ewan Simpson (who is a midfielder) from them, when he turns 16 in July. It also links us with another Scots youngster, this time Rory Wilson (a striker) from Rangers. Nice to see we are being active in signing the best young players too. They are pictured below (Ewan is on the left) and it seems they may share a barber, as well as a future destination;):

image.jpeg.a8c2b6a75314bff8157c245a2e05d795.jpeg image.jpeg.c568a17253d2f4db0a5be44ac2f4f919.jpeg

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-summer-transfer-gerrard-24056942

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HeyAnty said:

Yeah but how can his agent talk to them when he has over a year left?  Did villa let him.

An agent will talk to who they want to whenever they want to. It’s their job. Likewise we will be talking to agents constantly for our targets, whether or not they are under contract. 

1 hour ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Barcelona are funny, can never afford a transfer fee but have no problems paying absurd salaries.

I think they were already paying these salaries. Their plan is to stop with transfer fees and thus save themselves half of the total cost they used to have.

Just now, CVByrne said:

I think they were already paying these salaries. Their plan is to stop with transfer fees and thus save themselves half of the total cost they used to have.

Well, the trend is already more players leave on free transfers so it sort of makes sense. Clubs will become more reluctant to pay fees when players do as they please. 

2 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

Yes, we have... Ross McCormack, Marcus Allback, Gilles De Bilde (Loan), Mustapha Hadji, Mark Kinsellla, Drinkwater (Loan), Kieran Richardson

And I bet you could find twice as many "young and hungry" disastrous signings too. :)  The point I was making was to show that it is flawed thinking to write off a potential signing because he's the wrong side of 26.  In that quick list I came up with, all provided 4+ years of excellent service to the club and played in teams that won major trophies for us.  Two were captains of league cup winning sides, two played in our best-ever Premier League team, two won the league and European Cup while one was PFA footballer of the year, played six seasons with "dodgy knees" and an addiction, and is rightly seen as perhaps the best defender in the history of the club. 

(In my humble opinion Hadji was a decent player and Allback gets a pass because he scored the goal that kept us in the league in 2003...😃)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FLVillan said:

And I bet you could find twice as many "young and hungry" disastrous signings too. :)  The point I was making was to show that it is flawed thinking to write off a potential signing because he's the wrong side of 26.  In that quick list I came up with, all provided 4+ years of excellent service to the club and played in teams that won major trophies for us.  Two were captains of league cup winning sides, two played in our best-ever Premier League team, two won the league and European Cup while one was PFA footballer of the year, played six seasons with "dodgy knees" and an addiction, and is rightly seen as perhaps the best defender in the history of the club. 

(In my humble opinion Hadji was a decent player and Allback gets a pass because he scored the goal that kept us in the league in 2003...😃)

Paying large transfer fees for players aged 27+ has always been risky. That could change in the future with more players staying until contracts expire, which makes it questionable to pay transfer fees at all.

Older players could become more attractive (if you can endure their smell).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_person_smell

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, FLVillan said:

Fully agree. I just decided to post for the craic. Of course writing a player off because they’re 29 is nonsense. Especially with the advances in sport science recently. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Soucek not signing a new deal as West Ham wont give him a pay rise. We should be in on  this, maybe even swap with Watkins if he wants out. Big strong, scores goals and has a good engine

Rice wouldnt be the player he is without him as we have seen with England

I’m a fan.

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Soucek not signing a new deal as West Ham wont give him a pay rise. We should be in on  this, maybe even swap with Watkins if he wants out. Big strong, scores goals and has a good engine

I would take soucek in a heartbeat.

However, spam would probably want 5 billion for him.

8 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1615309/Neymar-PSG-Real-Madrid-transfer-news-former-Barcelona-star-listed-for-sale

Both players are very good friends since they were children (Coutinho/Neymar), but have never been able to meet in the same club to play together

Make it happen Stevie. We've already signed one ex-record signing player who played for Barcelona.

I mean, he's 30 so, there's that..... but I think I could be persuaded on this one ... 😉 

25 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Now there is an 8 I can get behind...  Soucek over Bissouma any day.  

3 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

You do all realise Soucek has had a really poor season and that’s why they are selling him? The idea of swapping him with Watkins is ludicrous.

Maybe, Ollie hasn’t had the best seasons either, just not the same player as last season and does he fit Gerrard’s system.  Gerrard though seems to like him and wants him to stay.

43 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

You do all realise Soucek has had a really poor season and that’s why they are selling him? The idea of swapping him with Watkins is ludicrous.

Poor season or poor form? It’s strange to see a player play 47 games worth of minutes if they are playing poorly throughout.