Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

9 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I’ve never understood this line of thought. Surely you still buy good players, any new manager should be able to work with them 

Well we were told it was going to be a busy summer.  Started so well with Kamara and Carlos, then it went quiet and with two days left of the window I’m not sure “busy” means what they think it means because since the 2nd of June we haven’t signed ANY impactful players to the first XI.

Edited by nick76

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Well we were told it was going to be a busy summer.  Started so well with Kamara and Carlos, then it went quiet and with two days left of the window I’m not sure “busy” means what they think it means because since the 2nd of June we haven’t signed ANY impactful players to the first XI.

Oh I agree, I was expecting a lot more, as was everyone. I’m disappointed in that. I just don’t buy that they aren’t giving money Gerrard because he’s on the edge of going. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I’ve never understood this line of thought. Surely you still buy good players, any new manager should be able to work with them 

Each manager has a preference, look at Gerrard, he doesn't play with wingers, so gets rid if most of them. Smith bought Emi and Bailey, yet Gerrard would rather play Coutinho ings and Watkins in the 3 forward places. 

New manager might want to play 5 at the back, or 3 up front.  So Gerrard could spend another 80M only for another manager to come in and they don't fit his style of play. 

We then go again....

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Unless you have a footballing strategy that transcends the manager (a la Brentford) then I think this is a bit of a simplistic view although true in a general sense.

Some players clearly suit some styles better than others whether counter-attacking, possession, pressing, deep defensive line etc or as basic as formation e.g. a club buying a good winger for a manager who doesn’t use wingers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, calcifer said:

Each manager has a preference, look at Gerrard, he doesn't play with wingers, so gets rid if most of them. Smith bought Emi and Bailey, yet Gerrard would rather play Coutinho ings and Watkins in the 3 forward places. 

New manager might want to play 5 at the back, or 3 up front.  So Gerrard could spend another 80M only for another manager to come in and they don't fit his style of play. 

We then go again....

Gerrard wants to control possession and dominate matches with his formation, yet he's built a squad much more suited to a 3-5-2 counterattacking style.

Edited by VillaHatesMe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

Signing a Midfielder or a Forward won't fix anything. The problem is not lacking talented players it is the complete failure of the system Gerrard is forcing them to play. The players and fans know the system is the problem.

We are making two of our most talented attacking players in JJ and McGinn play as defenders while having the inferior attacking threat of the full backs be part of the attack

It's daft and opposition know how easy it is to defend and how easy it is to exploit 

I disagree. We don't have a class CM. JJ is mainly an attacking mid and McGinn is shite. Signing a class CM would make a dramatic difference.

1 minute ago, VillaHatesMe said:

Gerrard wants to control possession and dominate matches with his formation, yet he's built a squad much more suited to a 3-5-2 counterattacking style.

Yet he puts Mcginn and Ramsey together. Its like playing with no midfield! Luiz and Kamara is the way forward if he wants to play like that even Stevie Wonder can see that!!!

31 minutes ago, VillaHatesMe said:

It's neither possession or counter based and that's a big part of the problem. We don't have enough technical ability in midfield to keep possession or enough pace in forward areas to counter. 

Edited by Made In Aston
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

There is a possibility this is one of those agent leaked stories to get a better contract from the club. Perfect timing to get the club panicking. 

True. I hope you're right.

54 minutes ago, VillaHatesMe said:

The word counter-attack and coutinho dont mix..because coutinho cannot run

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

As someone who has mocking people for being worried about the transfer window all summer.

I'm now officially worried about the transfer window 🤦🏿‍♂️

About time you woke up 

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

As someone who has mocking people for being worried about the transfer window all summer.

I'm now officially worried about the transfer window 🤦🏿‍♂️

You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

Well if nobody else comes in is that going to be enough?

I'd say no. A couple of injuries to key players and we are gonna struggle badly (even worse than we are now) 

I'm thinking Cash, Kamara, Luiz for example