Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

The lack of signings must be down to the size of our wage bill. We have added Coutinho, Ings, Digne, Carlos and Kamara who will all be on big wages. That could easily be £700k per week on wages. We have off loaded fringe players who are probably on less than £100k combined. We need to shift a couple of big earners to make space for new players.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

What happened with Rabiot? I still think he could be good for us. His mother won’t be worse than SG anyway.

Was supposed to move to United but the deal collapsed due to his mother.

A report in Italy suggests that Veronique demanded somewhere in the region between €8.5-10m ($8.6-10m) in wages — net — plus bonuses for each season he played at Old Trafford. In addition, she demanded another €8-10m for herself ($8.1-10m) in commission fees for brokering the deal.

15 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

This is exactly what will happen. 

Im absolutely flabbergasted we haven’t signed another central midfielder. 

To be honest, a lot of it is probably down to the fact our squad is bloated and we as a club have absolutely no idea when the time is right to sell players. Often, we wait til the end of their contract or wait for them to be sidelined for an extended period of time before we look to move them on. That obviously means they either leave on a free, on loan, for a very small price or not at all.

For all the good that has happened over the last few years, I’d actually argue we’ve been fairly poorly run when it comes to the footballing side of things, especially given the money spent. I know that’s something a lot of people don’t like to hear but we’re a mess right now and that is inexcusable given the investment in the playing squad. 

Completely agree on timing of a sale.

However, just to throw it out there, Mings has 2 years left on his contract, do we offer the significant bump he would likely want, to extend his stay, or sell?

My guess is Gerrard wants to run the club properly and thinks there’s better quality and value out there, vs extending his stay.  Obviously the dynamic changed with the Carlos injury.

I’ve not seen much on this conundrum from the Mings > Gerrard brigade.

6 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

The lack of signings must be down to the size of our wage bill. We have added Coutinho, Ings, Digne, Carlos and Kamara who will all be on big wages. That could easily be £700k per week on wages. We have off loaded fringe players who are probably on less than £100k combined. We need to shift a couple of big earners to make space for new players.

You’re probably right. Might go some way to explaining the Sanson situation, think he is on a decent chunk of something like £80k p/w. Makes more sense than on footballing ability. The fact that these big earners have come in and have made us worse as well doesnt bode well. Probably causes some unrest in the dressing room when you have disparity. Ironic that the one period Gerrard got a tune out of Villa was with the group Deano put together before his January signings. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

This is where i am with my thinking, still think we are going to see Bailey or Luiz go if an offer comes in. Both players are understandably frustrated with the inept manager. I hope they stick around as Gerrard is on borrowed time. 

But yeah cant see much in the way of incoming due to the high wages on the players you mentioned. 

Going to be a long hard season! 

• Like 1

Today's the day I hope if any of our players go out, its on loan with recall options, so when gerrards sacked, the new manager can access and call them back. Not have to spend money refilling places we already have good players for, because the guy who doesn't belong here doesn't like

54 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

This will be a classic “well, we tried” situation but Gerrard will come out with some wank comment about how the players need to step up because him and his staff have prepared them enough now and it’s up to them to perform.

I honestly don’t blame the transfer window on Gerrard (although when he ended the Sarr deal, I did presume that it would allow for an alternative). The blame lies on those behind the scenes. Gerrard has no choice but to turn it into a positive and try and rally the troops. As much as people want him gone, he can’t be blamed for everything that goes wrong. We’re a big business.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

This is probably a big part of it. Lots of people only consider net transfer spend and no other factors. So we have only spent a bit in pure transfers, people say the owners haven't done much to help. Forgetting the fact we have no doubt given out crazy wages to the likes of Digne, Coutinho, Ings etc so that spend needs to be balanced somehow. 

That said it seems certain teams ignore FFP anyway, why don't we 😂

• Like 1

Everton were the club most blatantly failing FFP, seems like they’ve had a very decent window to me. Getting £60m for Richarlison is great business, that Onana looks class, Coady and Tarkowski for essentially nothing will shore them up. 

Feels to me like we’ll be left very short a lot like Leeds last season. Not done anywhere near enough, I think we could well be going down at this rate. What a time to hike up all the prices for the fans and announce stadium plans and that we’re aiming for Europe 🤦‍♂️ 

5 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

And to think the Gerrard conversation a few weeks ago was “well at least he attracts good players so the next manager will be well stocked!”

Maybe some prefer to sign for managers with a proven record of improving individual players and building strong teams. I know I would.

2 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Everton were the club most blatantly failing FFP, seems like they’ve had a very decent window to me. Getting £60m for Richarlison is great business, that Onana looks class, Coady and Tarkowski for essentially nothing will shore them up. 

Feels to me like we’ll be left very short a lot like Leeds last season. Not done anywhere near enough, I think we could well be going down at this rate. What a time to hike up all the prices for the fans and announce stadium plans and that we’re aiming for Europe 🤦‍♂️ 

Its inexplicable really. I can only think we were holding out for top class targets who are/were in turn holding out for better clubs. It’s just been ridiculous though because there is so much scope for upgrade between our current midfielders and top class midfielders. It’s like they want to skip a stage.
Either that or the owners are holding firm on not spending another penny until we’ve trimmed the wage bill but even they should see that that’s now left it difficult to do any business especially as we are now already a less attractive proposition than we were about 8 weeks ago.

So nobody coming in and 2 midfielders possibly out the door.

Kamara Ramsay and McGinn it is.

But don't worry we'll have Marvelous to come on to win us games (if he isn't forced out aswell)

But there is still Ash Young.  A proper lad. A man's man.

16 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

Our squad lacks certain attributes in key areas. We have a midfield who can't retain possession or dispossess the opposition, lack of pace in forward areas and a lack of cover at CB and midfield (Sanson & Nakamba sent to the bomb squad and chuck sold to Chelsea). You could also argue that we lack a striker who can link up with the players behind him. 

Sure but that’s all squads in different ways.

Question still stands, how many other squads would you prefer?

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

I think Pete from the Holy Trinity made an excellent point.

What top players are going to want to join a club in terrible form for a manager who may be sacked any week now?

For me Gerrard absolutely takes some of the blame for what's turning out to be a disappointing window.

I notice all those fans early on who kept saying we've made 5 signings whenever someone expressed concern aren't as vocal with the same argument these days. 

That’s a tenuous link to doing poor business though. Sure he can take the blame for making us a less desirable option but he doesn’t set the strategy. He’s highly unlikely to be the one saying, right no more incomings until we shift some out. But that is why he created the bomb squad presumably, to try and speed that process along to allow for more incomings. But now we’ve got an unhappy squad and no incomings! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Its inexplicable really. I can only think we were holding out for top class targets who are/were in turn holding out for better clubs. It’s just been ridiculous though because there is so much scope for upgrade between our current midfielders and top class midfielders. It’s like they want to skip a stage.
Either that or the owners are holding firm on not spending another penny until we’ve trimmed the wage bill but even they should see that that’s now left it difficult to do any business especially as we are now already a less attractive proposition than we were about 8 weeks ago.

Deffo think there's something in this, and had been wondering if this was the case in January and last summer, going for unrealistic targets that would cost a fortune but trying to get them without breaking the bank (think JWP and ESR). It's laudable going for top class targets but if, as a club, we're not there yet then it's wasted energy and time. I mean, could you really see Emile Smith Rowe leaving Arsenal for us last summer if we managed to agree a transfer fee? Me neither.

• Like 2