Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

20 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Interesting. So £30m net spend.  I wonder how that compares to other clubs.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/einnahmenausgaben/wettbewerb/GB1

Spoiler: Puts us bang in midtable in 10th. The Sky 6 (sans Liverpool & City thanks to questionable Sales) plus Southampton, Brentford, West Ham, Newcastle and Forest are ahead of us

Edited by HalfTimePost

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

I feel like our work is done. We filled the gaps in the squad. Now it's about looking a possible replacements if any players move on.

Not me. I think they did the work they knew they had to do, early and brilliantly.

We don't need another midfielder. We'd like one, but we've improved options and experience, and 3 out of Kamara, McGinn, Ramsey, Luiz, Sanson, Nakamba, Iroebunam - plus perhaps Chambers, Ramsey (A) and Buendia in the centre gives us a lot of options - and maybe Carney would like to play football next season in return for an autograph?
We don't need another striker. Watkins, Ings and Archer for the system we play is plenty, and Keinan gives us a different option, plus Bailey will be like a new player in a different system.

I suspect we do need to see some players out the door, in order to avoid a bloated squad, and the wage bill rising out of control. AEG, Traore, Guilbert, Hause - there's potentially £15m-£20m there, before we shift one of the CMs, and perhaps Keinan. 

The outgoings aren't totally in our control, so it wouldn't surprise me to see 3 or 4 departures in the last couple of weeks, which trigger 1 or 2 more incomings. 

I think a striker would be our first priority - Ings does miss games through injury and neither Davis or Archer are ready for this level - I'd like to see us add a striker that is as good or better than we have.

Beyond that, a midfielder with a physical quality would be a nice to have, but I'm reasonably happy with what we've got for the moment.

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think a striker would be our first priority - Ings does miss games through injury and neither Davis or Archer are ready for this level - I'd like to see us add a striker that is as good or better than we have.

I could see Ings being sold this summer if we bring in another striker. There's no way he's here to be third choice at this stage in his career.

25 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

I could see Ings being sold this summer if we bring in another striker. There's no way he's here to be third choice at this stage in his career.

Who is going to pay the fee and salary of Ings ?

I think he will stay.

• Like 1

Ings probably one of our most salable assets, he wouldn't be too expensive, probably cost around £20m, but he's also still good enough that plenty of other teams would want him, especially any clubs desperate for a goalscorer. He's on big wages with us, but only has two years left on his current deal, a new team could spread that money over three or four years.

I for one am satisfied with our strikers going into the season.  The conversion rate was not terrible comparing to the rest of the league.  Our league goals was top half.  This was with our poor, unbalanced midfield.

Villa's main problem was sorting out the midfield, full stop.  We were too disjointed, no balance, often had huge gaps from front to back in games.  Fix the midfield and our offensive output will naturally improve because our flair players will see more of the ball in advanced positions.  I fully expect Villa next season to leak 5-10 fewer goals with better CB and DM in the side.  In addition, I expect Villa to score 5-10 more goals because we create more chances due to our midfield NOT being overrun every other match.  Last season we finished with a GD of -2.  This season I can see us being about +10.  That alone will yield alot fewer losses...more draws... and a few more wins.  I'm hopeful we can push for 60 points next season.  That puts us squarely into European contention.

Or a cup final and try for Europe with a cup!  That would be brilliant too.  I'm optimistic for this season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HalfTimePost said:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/einnahmenausgaben/wettbewerb/GB1

Spoiler: Puts us bang in midtable in 10th. The Sky 6 (sans Liverpool & City thanks to questionable Sales) plus Southampton, Brentford, West Ham, Newcastle and Forest are ahead of us

Why on earth is net spend still tracked. Totally irrelevant. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Isn’t his first name Danny?

They had a baby together over the summer and called him Ollie Ings Jr.  happy thoughts to both parents

Edited by nick76

12 minutes ago, nick76 said:

They had a baby together over the summer and called him Ollie Ings Jr.  happy thoughts to both parents

Oh ffs, another new baby meaning OW is going to be s**** again this season! 😉

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Thats Medically impossible as Ollie Watkins seems to be still firing blanks...🤣

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

Why on earth is net spend still tracked. Totally irrelevant. 

Especially when you factor in how much we were all celebrating the brilliance of lange and purslow when we pulled off a blinder for coutinho on the cheap and paid £0 for kamara 

Then it's £30m net spend... 

Waiting for the inevitable owners have lost interest comments