Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

1 hour ago, sne said:

Honestly no.

Isak, Forsberg (Lindelöf) and Kulusevski are the only ones up to scratch currently. Gabriel Gudmundssen is a very interesting LB and there are some younger players who might become good in the future.

I think Cajuste looks interesting as well, but perhaps a bit slow and labouring and not sure how high his ceiling is.

Could we btw change the name of this thread to the Swedish national team transfer talk? Thanks!

Edited by Keener window-cleaner
  • Like 1

I'm not quite sure why I'm sitting here feeling a little bit nervous for the upcoming season and beyond. Any why is this, I ask myself?

• It does seem as though the transfer strategy has changed from Smith to Gerrard. Smith purchased young players, with potential, and with the likelihood that we could sell them on for a profit in the future. 
  • With Gerrard's signings, we are purchasing players at the top of their purchase price and paying them, most likely, the top paying contract they are ever likely to receive
  • I understand the need for coverage in all positions, but is this at the expense of our youth being given a chance, and us seeing these talented young players leave?
  • In all honesty, which one of our youth players do you see coming through and playing at least ten full games this year, similar to JJ?
  • It does seem as though we've gone a little 'All-In' on Gerrard. I hope this strategy works, as I'm not sure NSWE will go through another round of spending in the same manner as before.
  • How will Gerrard and the training team cope without Michael Beale around? It will be his first time managing without his number one guy. 
  • We performed very badly against the Top 6 under Gerrard last season. Why?

I really hope this season is a success, but I'm not sure it's a foregone conclusion. I've seen other teams with good players not gel, or not work out as planned. 

Don't let me down Stevie. I'm still 50-50 on you, and I'm hoping you put these nagging doubts I have to bed.

UTV

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, USA_Villa said:

I'm not quite sure why I'm sitting here feeling a little bit nervous for the upcoming season and beyond. Any why is this, I ask myself?

• It does seem as though the transfer strategy has changed from Smith to Gerrard. Smith purchased young players, with potential, and with the likelihood that we could sell them on for a profit in the future. 
  • With Gerrard's signings, we are purchasing players at the top of their purchase price and paying them, most likely, the top paying contract they are ever likely to receive
  • I understand the need for coverage in all positions, but is this at the expense of our youth being given a chance, and us seeing these talented young players leave?
  • In all honesty, which one of our youth players do you see coming through and playing at least ten full games this year, similar to JJ?
  • It does seem as though we've gone a little 'All-In' on Gerrard. I hope this strategy works, as I'm not sure NSWE will go through another round of spending in the same manner as before.
  • How will Gerrard and the training team cope without Michael Beale around? It will be his first time managing without his number one guy. 
  • We performed very badly against the Top 6 under Gerrard last season. Why?

I really hope this season is a success, but I'm not sure it's a foregone conclusion. I've seen other teams with good players not gel, or not work out as planned. 

Don't let me down Stevie. I'm still 50-50 on you, and I'm hoping you put these nagging doubts I have to bed.

UTV

A lot to unpack there, but taking it in turn:  We spent a lot on young players that would be good enough to progress us up the league structure whilst they develop and get better, with the intention that they get better as the team progresses and so take us even higher.  See Mings, Konsa etc.  Gerrard’s point to the board was that whilst that made football and financial sense (see links to our squad gaining £186m in value since purchase), at some point you are going to need experience and serious quality if you wish to progress further, after all we are looking to oust Man Utd and Arsenal from European spots.  Buying young players tends to leave your squad thin on experience. Due to this policy we are now in a position where players that have served us well are now unable to help us rise those extra places into the top half and above.

The 2 risks Gerrard has taken, is Digne and Diego Carlos, both of which were cheaper than you might expect, given the issues at the clubs involved, therefore mitigating some of that risk.

With regards to youth players, yes we’ve some gems, but look at Chelsea, their youth players get experience abroad, the championship and even the Premier League, that tells you, you can’t perform to your best whilst also blooding a lot of youth players.  The new left back is here because Chrisene isn’t ready yet, and he may never be, but the premier league is not the place to test that out, yet, at least.

Beale will be a miss, but I expect Critchley to do a cracking job, and we’ll bring in further support, if needed.

I’d answer the top 6 question by pointing out our lack of defensive cover in midfield, which has been filled now and I expect us to be far more resolute in defence this year.  Wouldn’t be surprised if we went and got another 6 type player, especially if Dougie goes.

UTV

Edited by Villaphil
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, thunderball said:

Does he look a bit like the speed and competitiveness  of the PL will catch him out?

Too hard to say I think, there’s plenty of excellent players that struggle to adjust to PL and English life… you can’t really predict these things. 

8 hours ago, USA_Villa said:

I'm not quite sure why I'm sitting here feeling a little bit nervous for the upcoming season and beyond ...

Sounds like you live and breathe Villa, and if you aren't anxious in July, you're either stupid or magnificently stoned. I tend to embrace the nervousness these days as evidence that I'm not yet dead. It's fun to throw around transfer fantasies, but I'm glad I'm not in charge as there are so many moving pieces and risks, and worst of all, as I often forget, it's a market, so no one completely controls anything and prices are all over the place. I guess for Villa this summer I'm all for risk management and incremental improvement. Stevie has a fairly mature, learning-to-gel squad to play with along with some exciting youngsters coming up AND some £££ to back up his ideas, which is all and all, an enviable spot. 

What's distinct from many top clubs is that Villa do have a thoughtful, manager-driven transfer policy, not a brand-driven owner-directed fiasco like what's reportedly happening at Man United. Jury will be out on whether it works or not, but I'm glad there's a plausible plan. A youth-heavy transfer plan sounds kind of like what Marsch is doing at Leeds this summer, almost re-creating Red Bull Salz, and while that makes sense for Leeds this year -- and others here have persuasively noted how youth purchases work as are part of a long-term investment-oriented transfer strategic plan -- it does seem like we would justifiably be aiming to reach higher this year and need some battle-hardened troops. I take very seriously the notion of whether or not a squad gels, and it's stunning when you see clubs with great names that lack cohesion.  I feel like Gerrard gets that. He's trying to create a team of collegial rivals who drive each other onward and upward (we hope).   

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

This is the nail hit on the head. 

We couldn't wait for our youth prospects to deliver us to the top 6. They'd be picked off before we get there.  The cycle would be endless and we'd be a very sustainable, but ultimately unsuccessful club. 

Losing Jack showed us this.  If we can't keep the most die hard fan in our first team, what hope do we have of keeping the next world class player we develop.

If we want to win anything we need to make a leap quickly.

I think the fact we kept Jack so long shows a positive rather than a negative. 

And honestly if Liverpool or City come knocking in say 4 years for Ramsey and we are not top 4, or close to it then it would be hard to deny him his opportunity.  But we would be hugely compensated for this.

Being a fan of a club and being ambitious tends to be mutually exclusive. If we were Champions League then Jack would have never left i am sure. 

You are one of the very lucky ones if you get to play for the club you love and support while winning trophies.