Pre-Match Thread

Kingman

1 hour ago, Pablo_2531 said:

A scouser who supported Liverpool as a kid going onto play for Liverpool, win trophies an score against them numerous times. Oh an be better than any midfield player they ever had. 

Howard Kendall says 'Hi'. 

• Like 1

The enthusiasm (pashun) that big Dunc will put into them can only overcome a certain amount of organisation deficit that all that change brings about. 

I expect them to come flying out of the blocks, and would not be surprised if they score early doors, but over the whole game I expect a combination of our quality going forward, and our organisation to grind them into dust. 1-3, with Everton to score first. 

• Like 1

I would hope we can at least get a draw - with exception of Brentford Stevie has done well against teams outside the top 6 and he has, outside of missing Bailey and Nakamba, a largely fit and strong squad.

I hope that he plays Watkins at "9" with Ings on the bench.

I thought Sanson was largely good last weekend apart, obviously, from the short pass that led to the second goal BUT I think he knew that. I would start him with SJM in front of Dougie - I think that's a battling three which we may need against a fired up Everton - and push either JJ or Chukie into the second "10" role. I think it might be time to give JJ a rest and Chukie a start, bringing JJ and Phillipe on for the last 25. Nice to have some quality options! 

So yeah Everton are bad 'n all, but it's a bit typical Villa that not only do they lose their manager just before us, and have someone in charge who at the very least will have them extremely fired up, but it looks now like they'll have Yerry Mina back aswell who; by all accounts; is the glue that organises their entire defence. Oh and Richarlison back to full fitness so the strongest part of their team - the front 2 - can renew acquaintances.

We really don't get things easy. Hopefully we'll still have far too much for them.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TRO said:

Looking at the way we play, in large portions of the game.....I can't see beyond a draw.

The question, I ask myself.. is the real Villa the last 20 minutes of the Man U game or the previous 70 minutes...I could say the same about Brentford, only in reverse order.

While we are "too easy to play against", I don't see much changing.....and it seems to me, its proving such a difficult thing to master.

Although we are signing players..... we aren't to date, signing any to deal with that issue.

Draw at best.

We haven't lost to Everton since getting promotion. think we have beaten them 3 times and drawn twice. We just need to match their intensity and let the extra quality shine through. I'd start with Coutinho on the bench again. Ings on the bench as well and give sanson another start as I thought he was one of our better players until that pass. 

• Like 1

On reflection it’s these games that define our season. We have a decent run for February, this is a tricky away fixture.

Assuming Newcastle beat Leeds, winning this game puts us 11 points clear of the drop and 10 points off what will likely be 8th. 

A good February and we are just 2 wins away from the magic 40 with us very much looking up and not down. 

9 minutes ago, PaulC said:

We haven't lost to Everton since getting promotion. think we have beaten them 3 times and drawn twice. We just need to match their intensity and let the extra quality shine through. I'd start with Coutinho on the bench again. Ings on the bench as well and give sanson another start as I thought he was one of our better players until that pass. 

thats my concern.

....we do, do it...just not often enough.

4 minutes ago, kidlewis said:

Assuming Newcastle beat Leeds, winning this game puts us 11 points clear of the drop and 10 points off what will likely be 8th.  

I wouldn't assume that at all.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

I would hope we can at least get a draw - with exception of Brentford Stevie has done well against teams outside the top 6 and he has, outside of missing Bailey and Nakamba, a largely fit and strong squad.

I hope that he plays Watkins at "9" with Ings on the bench.

I thought Sanson was largely good last weekend apart, obviously, from the short pass that led to the second goal BUT I think he knew that. I would start him with SJM in front of Dougie - I think that's a battling three which we may need against a fired up Everton - and push either JJ or Chukie into the second "10" role. I think it might be time to give JJ a rest and Chukie a start, bringing JJ and Phillipe on for the last 25. Nice to have some quality options! 

If it was....I would be much more confident, going in to this game......all 3 have offensive play tendencies, so stopping Everton gaining the initiative in the game, will prove tricky.

16 minutes ago, kidlewis said:

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst and all that. 

Understood. The best for me is Newcastle going down 😛 The drop is not on my radar.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

If it was....I would be much more confident, going in to this game......all 3 have offensive play tendencies, so stopping Everton gaining the initiative in the game, will prove tricky.

I know that you are keen for us to bring in a strong DCM - I bet you almost wet yourself when we were linked to Bissouma 🤪 - and I don't disagree as this kind of signing would give us a top quality first XI with good cover everywhere.

However, I do think Dougie can do a good job in there, particularly if he has two strong players (and I think Sanson and SJM are the strongest defensively that can play alongside a sitter) alongside him.

Anyway 🤞!

15 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

the problem with this one, is i think this will be the first game in a while for them, where DCL & Richarlison will be fit to start together.

Yeah frustrating that Richarlison gets back for this one. Hopefully we can keep him quiet, shame we won’t have Konsa either (most likely)

14 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

This is one of those games where everyone is confident of a win but we **** it up.

2-0 to Everton

Not sure about that. There is a fair amount of trepidation about the change of manager and 2 of their better players coming back.

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

Yeah frustrating that Richarlison gets back for this one. Hopefully we can keep him quiet, shame we won’t have Konsa either (most likely)

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make?