Pre-Match Thread

Kingman

Wont be easy. Big dunc will have them fired up for this one.

I think without konsa too we are in trouble as you know mings is just going to do a mings and make some kind of mistake. Then you wont have konsa clearing it up

• Confused 1

There's a lot of optimism around us right now because of the signings of Coutinho and Digne and I can see why. Whilst at Everton they're very gloomy.

However, in terms of results our form isn't any better than theirs. Last 5 games we have 4 points, last 5 games they have 4 points.

Our games maybe slightly harder than theirs (Liverpool, Norwich, Chelsea, Brentford and Man U v Arsenal, Palace, Chelsea, Brighton and Norwich) but not a lot in it. 

It's not an ideal time to play them with the manager situation, but we need a win just as much if not more than them. We're 13th which is crap. We certainly can't be losing this game.

Ideally I'd be hoping for the following in the next 6 to get us up the table: Everton (a) - D or W, Leed (h) - W, Newcastle (a) - D or W, Watford (h) - W, Brighton (a) - D, Southampton (h) - W. Think minimum of 12 points has to be the aim. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Only 2 players are undropable from this team. Martinez and Buendia

No player is undroppable, that would send a bad message to the rest of the squad. Every player has to fight for their place or squad and earn it

48 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

A little worried now as Duncan Ferguson will motivate them.

I guess if we can keep it tight then we have a chance of snatching a win bringing on Coutinho later on in the game.

Big Dunc had two draws and a 3-1 win against Chelsea in his last stint. 

I've re-watched the main highlights from that game against Chelsea, the Everton goals were extremely fortunate and definitely not the result of flowing football or outplaying the opponent. He will however have the players right up for the game so we can expect a midfield battle. It will be interesting to see if he plays 4-4-2 as he did before with two in midfield. If we can win that battle, we should be OK. 

He also did it with a superior squad than he has now. 

I’ve mentioned before that I work with a premier league referee, anyway I’ve had a call with him this morning and he’s reffing this one on Saturday. I pointed out that we’ve just played Manure twice in a week so we’re due some decisions to go our way. He laughed and said he’ll see what he can do. I’ve been more than helpful from a work perspective… time for him to reciprocate…

Hopefully we don’t need any help from the referees. I’d rather we just go out and swamp Everton with our pressing and quick passing. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

No player is undroppable, that would send a bad message to the rest of the squad. Every player has to fight for their place or squad and earn it

To be fair, Martinez is undroppable even if he makes a Man Utd size mistake in each of the next 3 games in row.  He's got enough credit in the bank that Steer or Olsen isn't going to become the no1 keeper, even for a few games. 

Big dunk has been part of the failure on the pitch for the last 4/5 managers, don't know why people think he's the answer now.  On paper we should have too much for them, a very winnable game against a team in free fall looking at a relegation battle having just lost their best player and their manager. Reality is that we will no doubt make it difficult for ourselves and probably lose

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

To be fair, Martinez is undroppable even if he makes a Man Utd size mistake in each of the next 3 games in row.  He's got enough credit in the bank that Steer or Olsen isn't going to become the no1 keeper, even for a few games. 

Past performances count for nothing, last season he was outstanding but that was last season. In my opinion, this season he has been poor. If Olsen isn’t going to come here to challenge for the no.1 spot, I would question his motivation. Don’t get me wrong, I still think Martinez is a great keeper but he isn’t undroppable, no-one is

10 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Only 2 players are undropable from this team. Martinez and Buendia

Mings is undroppable as well, it showed earlier this season when he was dropped how much the team needs him.

I would also say our midfield looks it's strongest when McGinn is present.

The four of them are essentially the spine of the team right now.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think Everton will be improved and will make it tough, but right now I think we're on the verge of being something very, very good.

I can't wait to see us play, and I haven't felt that way about us in a long time, we have style, swagger and ability and we look organised and prepared - I'm genuinely excited about this team and I think if we click on Saturday we'll be too much for Everton.

Im with you here. There were time at the beginning of last season I couldnt wait to actually watch us play. Im starting to feel the same now.

The big difference is this feels a bit less fragile now!