Pre-Match Thread

Kingman

1 hour ago, robby b said:

Hope so mate! 🤞

I really hope the Everton CEO doesn't appoint a new manager before Sunday!!! A new manager bounce will be a serious blow to us and make Rafa's sacking such unlucky timing. This seems to happen to us so often?!

I don't know, if Bruce rocks up at Goodison I wouldn't be too upset :)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, robby b said:

The new manager bounce is not a myth! For example it worked for us with both our most recent managers: 1-0 v Swansea and 2-0 v Brighton (on the back of a five game losing run).

Well every month in the Championship at one stage we were facing a club with a "new manager bounce."

We always seemed to win.

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

Well every month in the Championship at one stage we were facing a club with a "new manager bounce."

We always seemed to win.

We always seemed to win.

We always seemed to win.

You can say that again!

Looking forward to joining VT live for this one!

Can't underestimate Everton they have some key players returning and will be gunning to get a result. 

I still think we'll win this one though. 

Just now, rodders0223 said:

We always seemed to win.

Fair enough, I don't remember but I do believe you, we did win lots of games in the Championship afterall. Well maybe the new manager bounce is half mythical half true then. 🤔 Like Robin Hood or the yeti. I guess it may well be exaggerated. I think Roberto Martinez will give the players and the crowd a lift if he gets appointed before Saturday.

Nothing to fear from the new manager bounce if the manager is either big Dunc OR Martinez, both are limited, it's unlikely either will be in place in time for any meaningful impact on the team this weekend, and if it's Martinez then this lot are still firmly in reverse gear getting faster. They honestly need Steve Bruce.

Really cant work out why Everton would be going back to Martinez so soon after parting ways with him, not sure why he would even want the job either.

Even if they appoint someone this week it will be too soon for them to implement anything for our game, great time to play them for sure.

3 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

Really cant work out why Everton would be going back to Martinez so soon after parting ways with him, not sure why he would even want the job either.

Even if they appoint someone this week it will be too soon for them to implement anything for our game, great time to play them for sure.

I thought Roberto Martínez had left Everton by choice to take the Belgium job but I just read that actually they sacked him. Still, I thought he was quite a good manager for them.

But anyway the new management bounce is firstly about the psychological lift players get simply from the sacked manager being gone... and then it’s also about a decent new one being appointed and I do think Roberto Martinez is decent, maybe Everton are thinking that they made a mistake in firing him.

Edited by robby b

Nice! I really like the look of that team. 

I was surprised that Buendía played on the left wing v United as he had said previously that his preferred position is right wing. But then he played so well against them! Maybe he'll play really well on the left again next time, fingers crossed. 

42 minutes ago, robby b said:

Nice! I really like the look of that team. 

I was surprised that Buendía played on the left wing v United as he had said previously that his preferred position is right wing. But then he played so well against them! Maybe he'll play really well on the left again next time, fingers crossed. 

He drifted all game in possession , he also pressed and cut passing lines maintaining that line as a centre forward at times with Ings and Ollie wide, if a attack breaks it’s more a case of defending the part of the pitch where you are than running across the pitch back to your “position” under Gerrard, Also we played Brentford and without the 2 up top  he played wide Left.

• Thanks 1

If Big Dunc is in charge they will be well organised and he will pick a team that will graft. I think we need a side with energy. I think I’d go with. 
Emi

Cash Konsa (Hause) Mings Digne

McGinn Luiz JJ

Buendia Watkins Chuk

Although that team lacks width I don’t think we have a genuine winger in the first team right now. Let Cash and Digne push on and create the width and utilise the skills of McGinn, JJ, Buendia and Chuk making runs into the box or arriving late. 
I don’t think Couthino is ready to start and I’d prefer to get 30mins out of him when Everton have tired. I think a fresh Ings from the bench would be helpful too. 
I think we need 3 points here. A good performance again United was nice but we need points on the board now! 

Edited by Herman22

No matter who is in charge, its a much harder game that a week ago. They have most of their big names back and will be really up for it. We have to show the right application and macth them physically because only then will our extra quality shine through. 

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1