Pre-Match Thread

Kingman

4 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

They were doing quite well in August and September until we beat them 3-0! I think we’ll win this, but there is a chance they come out fighting. Maybe it’ll be a draw… 1-1?

They were missing DCL and Richarlison

10 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Interesting one.

I'm confident we'll win if we do a few things right in this.

Get through the first 20 minutes without gifting opposition a goal. Has been a big problem last two games which has stopped us winning and this really is last game you want to give the struggling team a boost as they will come out firing under Ferguson.

Start Coutinho. He came on last week, had a stretch of the legs for 25 minutes and breezed it. Certainly didn't look like he hadn't played for months. Given a full week of training I don't see why he couldn't manage 65-70 minutes and be taken off when 3-1 up as can't see Everton handling him at all unless they just put Allan in as man marker. That gives Buendia more space.

Drop Ings. Feels like yet another game where him and Ollie will just get in each others way and we won't play to our full potential in final third.  Generally our record has been excellent v Everton since coming up and Ollie has played 3 of the 5 as CF.

With McGinn back and Digne very motivated I'd be more disappointed to lose this than Brentford. Win would also push us properly back into top 10 mix.

Not too worried about Konsa being out either as feels a good game for Hause to come in as they'll be getting the crosses in for Calvert Lewin.

1-3.

I'd start Coutinho too and give him 60-70 minutes. Surprised how many that are having him as sub, I think peeps forget we were 2-0 down when he came on last week. We don't want to be in that position again.

We need a win here and Coutinho starting gives us a better chance of that happening. Allan apparently isn't available for them so even less chance they'll be able too handle him.

I'd go: Martinez, Cash, Konsa, Mings, Digne, Luiz, McGinn, Ramsey, Coutinho, Buendia, Watkins. Hause for Konsa if he's not fit. Job done. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I'd start Coutinho too and give him 60-70 minutes. Surprised how many that are having him as sub, I think peeps forget we were 2-0 down when he came on last week. We don't want to be in that position again.

We need a win here and Coutinho starting gives us a better chance of that happening. Allan apparently isn't available for them so even less chance they'll be able too handle him.

I'd go: Martinez, Cash, Konsa, Mings, Digne, Luiz, McGinn, Ramsey, Coutinho, Buendia, Watkins. Hause for Konsa if he's not fit. Job done. 

I’d put him on the bench not from choice, but because he’s not match fit yet.

The game is over 90 mins and having him as an impact sub for 30 mins against tiring legs will do more damage to the opposition than having him on from 0-30 mins.

• Like 2

First time in UHD this season. Finally my BT sport subscription is worthwhile

Hard to call really, they are crap but will be up for it under DF. We should have enough but we cant afford another slow start and give their fans a lift. They’ll have enough of that coming up against Gerrard, Coutinho & Digne. 

1-2 (Hause, Ramsey)

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

I’d put him on the bench not from choice, but because he’s not match fit yet.

The game is over 90 mins and having him as an impact sub for 30 mins against tiring legs will do more damage to the opposition than having him on from 0-30 mins.

Thought he looked fine in his 25 mins cameo against United and has had full week of training.

He could be gassing after 45-60 mins but he gives us a better chance of winning and we really need a win (haven't won in over a month now).

Alternatives are Carney, great talent but don't think he's ready for start just yet, Ings and Watkins again which hasn't worked all season, or Sanson in and Ramsey pushed further forward. But Sanson looks completely devoid of confidence and it was his mistake that led to United's second goal. 

• Like 1

On 16/01/2022 at 14:44, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Coutinho and Digne get a full week of preparation for this game.

McGinn will be back but we shouldn't change too much.

Bring Coutinho on if necessary for half an hour, no need to rush him. Perhaps we will target a match such as Leeds, Newcastle to start him?

Hopefully we win, but can't see us keeping a clean sheet!

Thats my concern.

This game has probably become more difficult to predict than say a week ago because Rafa had them set up all over the place and totally devoid of confidence. Big Dunc will have them organised making them hard to beat. However, I truly believe that we have that extra bit of quality to get a win here.

*Fitness and Covid permitting again, I’d go with Konsa (if fit) or Hause at the back and Carney or Coutinho behind Watkins. The rest pick themselves.  3-1 win.

Martinez

Cash        *Konsa             Mings        Digne

McGinn      Luiz      Ramsey 

Buendia      *Carney

Watkins

Subs: Olsen, Hause, Kesler Hayden, Targett, Iroegbunam, Sanson, Young, Coutinho, Ings

Edited by ferguson1
  • Like 2

Looking at the way we play, in large portions of the game.....I can't see beyond a draw.

The question, I ask myself.. is the real Villa the last 20 minutes of the Man U game or the previous 70 minutes...I could say the same about Brentford, only in reverse order.

While we are "too easy to play against", I don't see much changing.....and it seems to me, its proving such a difficult thing to master.

Although we are signing players..... we aren't to date, signing any to deal with that issue.

Draw at best.

14 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

This game has probably become more difficult to predict than say a week ago because Rafa had them set up all over the place and totally devoid of confidence. Big Dunc will have them organised making them hard to beat. However, I truly believe that we have that extra bit of quality to get a win here.

*Fitness and Covid permitting again, I’d go with Konsa (if fit) or Hause at the back and Carney or Coutinho behind Watkins. The rest pick themselves.  3-1 win.

Martinez

Cash        *Konsa             Mings        Digne

McGinn      Luiz      Ramsey 

Buendia      *Carney

Watkins

Subs: Olsen, Hause, Kessler Hayden, Targett, Iroegbunam, Sanson, Young, Coutinho, Ings

That isn't a bad look, for me.

I too, would give Carney a run, just for his physicality alone...he links with Ramsey well too.

Hause for me though, to compete in the air with DCL

Edited by TRO
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

No change then from the last two games

Ha ha I actually think the Everton fans hate him more. A scouser who supported Liverpool as a kid going onto play for Liverpool, win trophies an score against them numerous times. Oh an be better than any midfield player they ever had. 

It’s enough to make an evertonian’s balls itch. 

They can’t handle it trust me..but the reassuring thing for villa fans is gerrard won’t give a s**t in fact he used to love smashing the blue s**te an hopefully that continues tomorrow 

Martinez

Cash       * Hause             Mings        Digne

McGinn      Luiz      Ramsey 

Buendia      Ings      Watkins

Subs: Olsen, Targett, Young, Coutinho, Hayden, Chukwuemeka, Iroegbunam, Archer.

*If Konsa isn't fit

16 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Interesting one.

I'm confident we'll win if we do a few things right in this.

Get through the first 20 minutes without gifting opposition a goal. Has been a big problem last two games which has stopped us winning and this really is last game you want to give the struggling team a boost as they will come out firing under Ferguson.

Start Coutinho. He came on last week, had a stretch of the legs for 25 minutes and breezed it. Certainly didn't look like he hadn't played for months. Given a full week of training I don't see why he couldn't manage 65-70 minutes and be taken off when 3-1 up as can't see Everton handling him at all unless they just put Allan in as man marker. That gives Buendia more space.

Drop Ings. Feels like yet another game where him and Ollie will just get in each others way and we won't play to our full potential in final third.  Generally our record has been excellent v Everton since coming up and Ollie has played 3 of the 5 as CF.

With McGinn back and Digne very motivated I'd be more disappointed to lose this than Brentford. Win would also push us properly back into top 10 mix.

Not too worried about Konsa being out either as feels a good game for Hause to come in as they'll be getting the crosses in for Calvert Lewin.

1-3.

VC, I agree that a good start by us is very important. As we know from experience , you can't give a struggling side or nervous fans any sign of light or hope. They will be keen to get off to a good start for Big Dunc, we really need to quiet them down.

The Ings/Ollie decision may be a bigger one than whether we start Coutinho or not. Both good players but it just ain't working. Do we start Sanson and SJM with Emi & Ollie upfront, get a firm grip on the middle of the park or just go for it if Phil has trained well?

no hardship either way but it will still be tough. I will accept being unbeaten and take either result from there.

Onwards.