Pre-Match Thread

Kingman

It would be wrong to underestimate the liberating effect on Everton of shedding Benitez. Things were clearly going very badly wrong between manager and team and they may well play with a new energy and freedom now he’s gone. It’s a classic banana skin so I don’t see cause for too much cause for doom & gloom if we don’t win. Would be disappointed if we can’t dig out at least a draw though.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Farlz said:

Tomorrow needs to be the start of a good run. Fixtures are fairly kind now it's time to get something going. 

If Gerrard starts Ings and Watkins again though I'm going to have concerns over what he's doing. Please just pick one or the other and stop doing something that quite clearly won't ever work. If Coutinho isn't fit to start then bring Chuk in as a 10 or even push Ramsey forward and start Sanson in the midfield 3, there's really no excuse for it. 

I agree that we shouldn’t start them both. Ollie should start with Ings on the bench. However, if he does start them both, it’s because he believes that they are our best bet. He sees them every day. He knows the players physical and mental state. He knows football and he is absolutely determined to win.
We always think that we have the answers looking in from the outside but it’s his neck on the line. He will make the right decision and in time he will take us much closer to the top of the table.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Well someone needs to tell Buendia he’s not playing (and also to stop playing fpl)…

Was a few days ago though but would suggest his shoulder isn’t bothering him.

Target has also taken out himself, Coutinho, Buendia, and Watkins. 

McGinn has also taken out himself. 

Not sure how much you can read into this unless they messing about? Don't really know how it works to be honest. 

I still feel we're too soft at giving away goals. So I worry for us in every game now. We also can't play consistently for 90 mins. I can't see this team going on a run as we'll always shoot ourselves in the foot in a couple of games we dominate and just gift the opposition goals.

I can't figure out what way to play the front three. It'll probably be Ings Watkins Buendia again. If it was at home I could see Chuk starting with Watkins / Buendia. I doubt Coutinho is fit enough to start and he's best as an impact sub right now.

I can see this as a score draw today and more frustration for us.

45 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I still feel we're too soft at giving away goals. So I worry for us in every game now. We also can't play consistently for 90 mins. I can't see this team going on a run as we'll always shoot ourselves in the foot in a couple of games we dominate and just gift the opposition goals.

I can't figure out what way to play the front three. It'll probably be Ings Watkins Buendia again. If it was at home I could see Chuk starting with Watkins / Buendia. I doubt Coutinho is fit enough to start and he's best as an impact sub right now.

I can see this as a score draw today and more frustration for us.

All of this. Don’t understand why largely the same defence and midfield as last season can barely keep a clean sheet this season after record equalling amounts last year. I dare say it but I don’t think Emi or Konsa have been quite at last seasons levels.

Watkins and Buendia to score today.

On paper it's not a terrible Everton side, if Richarlison and DCL are back but we really should not lose to a side managed by Duncan Ferguson.

Not to bring up the Liverplop thing again but Gerrard should be motivated enough to fire up our guys against his hated Everton. Our guys might be indifferent (as in this not being a bigger game than any other in the league) but I'm sure he'd really love to beat them.

I know all the transfer talk and rumours are exciting, but we really need to get back to winning games. Today should be a game where we should have enough for 3 points. I'll be bitterly disappointed if we don't win. 

• Like 1