Formula One - 2022

BOF

1 hour ago, Farlz said:

lf220ppk8im81.jpg?width=589&auto=webp&s=f1a20a79c9110620a81f75e8974fe85a580725de

I pray to god this backfires and Merc haven't cracked the code once again. 

I can't be done with them dominating another regs. 

@foreveryoung, which of these did you see at your tour a couple of weeks back?

12 hours ago, choffer said:

Drive to Survive out Friday. I presume we will all be skipping to the last episode. 

I think after the last series I won't bother with it at all. I thought that series 1 and 2 were class. but I thought that 3 was all show and no substance. Maybe because I had followed the 2020 season more closely, you know with not being allowed out of the house and so on, and they had also done the same in '18 and '19.

I'm looking forward to Drive to Survive, but I'm also a bit cautious about it. I think the best part of that show has been that it makes the midfield battles far more interesting. Yeah I know it hams it up a bit and it's got form for "clever" editing to make things seems more exciting than they really were, but it's still a good watch and gives you a good insight into those teams.

But with how the title race went last season I can't see them NOT focusing on that. But we've all lived that. We were all engrossed in that last season so in a weird way we don't NEED that. So I hope it doesn't lose what I liked about it in favour of focusing on a title race we already know everything about.

The one saving grace there is Hamilton isn't usually in it very much, and IIRC Max has stopped being part of the doc. So maybe they won't have enough material to focus on it that much anyway

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm looking forward to Drive to Survive, but I'm also a bit cautious about it. I think the best part of that show has been that it makes the midfield battles far more interesting. Yeah I know it hams it up a bit and it's got form for "clever" editing to make things seems more exciting than they really were, but it's still a good watch and gives you a good insight into those teams.

But with how the title race went last season I can't see them NOT focusing on that. But we've all lived that. We were all engrossed in that last season so in a weird way we don't NEED that. So I hope it doesn't lose what I liked about it in favour of focusing on a title race we already know everything about.

The one saving grace there is Hamilton isn't usually in it very much, and IIRC Max has stopped being part of the doc. So maybe they won't have enough material to focus on it that much anyway

Yep and for that reason, I really liked the first two seasons. All the mainstream media focuses on the big teams, but Drive to Survive was really interesting in the first 2 seasons with its focus in the "little teams". I remember an episode where Grosjean was struggling mentally and it was really interesting. Last year, and to an extent the year before, the big boys got more invloved and it just wasn't as good. That coupled with what is rumoured to be a full episode with Mazepin (although the son of the driver whose championship record could potentially have been broken was sitting in the room next door), leaves me with not much hope for it this time around.

5 hours ago, Farlz said:

lf220ppk8im81.jpg?width=589&auto=webp&s=f1a20a79c9110620a81f75e8974fe85a580725de

After the travesty of last year I'm all for it. 

So, I can sort of see why other teams are a bit unhappy with the Merc. Those wing mirror mounts do look suspiciously like little wings...

Presumably though they got the go-ahead from the FIA and there aren't any actual rules against that?

34 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

So, I can sort of see why other teams are a bit unhappy with the Merc. Those wing mirror mounts do look suspiciously like little wings...

Presumably though they got the go-ahead from the FIA and there aren't any actual rules against that?

My understanding is that this is a classic bit of Mercedes design. The rules were built in such a way that this sort of thing was not supposed to be possible, but Merc managed to find a way to make it happen within the rules. Watching their car bounce around on the straight like a jackhammer today does suggest that the car is not in its optimum form just yet though.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Farlz said:

It will be disappointing if we end up with Merc / Red Bull battling it out up front again. I am hoping that at least Ferrari and McLaren can close the gap and make it slightly more interesting.

Last season was only of interest because if how close it was between Lewis and Max otherwise it was as boring as previous years.

11 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

@foreveryoung, which of these did you see at your tour a couple of weeks back?

Not 100% sure, as they all have only slight differences, but maybe the first.

What I can say is, if anyone gets it right, it will be Adrian Newey at Red Bull, the master of aero. But I gotta say the Merc engine is a master piece and will run at only 82% power for this season, so they say. 😉

Edited by foreveryoung
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mykeyb said:

It will be disappointing if we end up with Merc / Red Bull battling it out up front again. I am hoping that at least Ferrari and McLaren can close the gap and make it slightly more interesting.

Last season was only of interest because if how close it was between Lewis and Max otherwise it was as boring as previous years.

If we do get a repeat of Merc / RB hopefully George Russel and Sergio Perez compete and don’t leave Lewis and Max to have their own private competition up front.