Formula One - 2022

BOF

One story that has caught my eye in the off-season is Aston Martin's attempted hiring of Red Bull's head of aerodynamics Dan Fallows. Aston want him to start straight away, but Red Bull say his contract and the sensitive position he occupied requires considerable gardening leave. The courts preliminarily agree with Red Bull. It is now going to court proper. If they find in Red Bull's fasvour then he won't be able to start work with Aston until the end of 2022. That would be bloody hilarious.  I do like to see Aston fall on their arse. The only bit of them I'm any way fond of these days is Vettel.

• Like 1

Hopefully the new regulations will throw up some change near the front, there was talk that Ferrari had been making a good fist of it and it'd be nice to see them a bit more in the mix again this year.

The big hope though is that we get a good clean season where those that enforce the rules are back in the background. 2021 was F1's Black Sox world series fix, their Lance Armstrong year, their Calciopoli. It really needs something clean to make sure it's a sport again and not a scripted drama - it's a big year.

35 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Hopefully the new regulations will throw up some change near the front, there was talk that Ferrari had been making a good fist of it and it'd be nice to see them a bit more in the mix again this year.

Yeah a few of them; Lando IIRC; have been making noises about the Ferrari drivers this off-season. That would be a hell of an intra-team battle too. They'd take points off each other and affect their WDC, although Ferrari are probably the only team on the grid who place more importance on the WCC.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, choffer said:

I didn’t follow all that closely last year. Did Mazepin do anything to justify being retained by Haas? 
Other than bringing funding to the team, obviously. 

Over the whole season not really. He had some close calls to some decent results (from a Haas perspective) but they were few and far between. Very much the exception to the rule. You'd expect this season he'll be better, but then so will Schumacher, and Tsunoda who spent a worrying amount of last season stinking out the AlphaTauri aswell, but he started to come together towards the end.

Ultimately Mazepin is there because his presence keeps an F1 team on the grid.

• Thanks 1

Aston and Red Bull have made a joint statement. Fallows will join Aston in April and stay with Red Bull until then. Means he gets no input into Aston until then with the season already underway. Decent compromise I guess.

Formula E (I know, I know...) has introduced a new qualifying format which I think sounds a lot of fun for TV. It's a group stage followed by knockouts.

Q1 is two groups of 11 cars in each.

For the first race of the season each team will put a car in each group (from then on the groups are decided by championship standings).

Each group gets 10 minutes to do as many laps as they can.
The fastest 4 from each group go into a quarter final knock out.
Fastest group A driver versus 4th fastest Group B driver etc etc. One lap each. Winner goes into the semis.
Then the same in the semis. One lap each and the same in the final.
The winner of the final is on pole position. Losing finalist second. Fastest losing semi is 3rd etc etc.
That decides the top 8.
The rest are decided by their group qualifying order with the drivers from the pole sitters group taking the odd numbered slots (9, 11, 13 etc) and the drivers from the runner up taking the even numbered slots.

I wouldn't necessarily want that to replace the current F1 qualifying, but I'd be all for that in the races that had a sprint weekend involved.

• Like 3

On 19/01/2022 at 19:12, OutByEaster? said:

Any news on whether the sprints are likely to go ahead this season?

They're in doubt so far by all accounts. Nothing definitive. Fingers crossed it's a no.

• Like 1

On 20/01/2022 at 01:07, BOF said:

They're in doubt so far by all accounts. Nothing definitive. Fingers crossed it's a no.

I thought that it had been agreed last season that there were going to be more of them, am I just making that up?

1 minute ago, leemond2008 said:

I thought that it had been agreed last season that there were going to be more of them, am I just making that up?

It was the wish of those running F1 to have more sprint races this season. 8 in total IIRC. But it had not been agreed with the teams. Now the teams want compensation for running what are effectively more races per season with the not inconsiderable risk of damage and wear that goes along with that, added to the very restrictive quotas they have to work under. The rumours were that both parties were very far away from an agreement, and if one could not be reached then sprint races would be scrapped altogether. Shame :D 

• Like 1

And on that note...

Mercedes and Red Bull push for $5m Sprint Boost

Red Bull and Mercedes are pushing for a $5m additional budget to cover the costs of sprint qualifying, it has been reported.

SI202112120557_hires_jpeg_24bit_rgb-750x

Italian site Corriere dello Sport has said that the two F1 titans are pledging for the extra cash boost to over any potential car damage caused by the new sprint qualifying format.

F1 introduced a $145m cost cap in 2021 which also coincided with the introduction of Sprint Qualifying in Silverstone, Monza and the Brazilian Grand Prix.

The cost cap will reduce by $5m in 2022 to $140m, and, according the Italian press, this has caused the top teams to push for additional funds to cover cost damage with other teams opposed to raising the sprint allowance.

Ferrari have reportedly stated that they will accept an allowance offer of less than $5m, but have said more sprint races will need more compensation for teams.

More in link ...

Not a fan of the sprint races at all personally, but I think If they are to continue then every team should be allowed to claim money for damage caused against the cost cap, so if a front wing gets damaged in a sprint race then it doesn't go against the cost cap, when it comes to engines, give them one engine to run for all the sprint races