Formula One - 2022

BOF

I know it's probably one for 'things you don't get' but as it's F1-related and therefore quite niche, I'll stick it in here.

The attention and column inches given to the helmet designs. And to the one-offs and swaps etc. I could not give less of a shit about what helmet you're wearing.

34 years following F1 and I could scarcely tell you which helmet designs belonged to which drivers in all of that time.  Probably 2. Senna and Hill, and the latter only because he adopted his Dad's design which was iconic back in a day when the helmet was far more conspicuous in the cockpit and when they never changed their design. Those and Gilles Villeneuve for similar reasons, but he was before my time following F1.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, BOF said:

I know it's probably one for 'things you don't get' but as it's F1-related and therefore quite niche, I'll stick it in here.

The attention and column inches given to the helmet designs. And to the one-offs and swaps etc. I could not give less of a shit about what helmet you're wearing.

34 years following F1 and I could scarcely tell you which helmet designs belonged to which drivers in all of that time.  Probably 2. Senna and Hill, and the latter only because he adopted his Dad's design which was iconic back in a day when the helmet was far more conspicuous in the cockpit and when they never changed their design. Those and Gilles Villeneuve for similar reasons, but he was before my time following F1.

They all have that many sponsors on them you can barely make out the design anyway.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, BOF said:

And to add to that, the more new designs and special one offs they have, the less memorable they become. So the less they deserve column inches.

I remember some. Coulthard, Mansell, Hakkinen etc. That's when a design could become iconic.

But now they change them all the time. 

Lewis on social media:

I’m pretty sure I speak for all of us when I say I’m glad the season has finally come to an end. Won’t miss it! Still, l want to thank my team for all the hard work this year. Through it all, we pushed on and learned so much that will get us back to the top next year. I have no doubt we’ll come back better. We’ll be back. I’ll be back.

18 minutes ago, Genie said:

Lewis on social media:

I’m pretty sure I speak for all of us when I say I’m glad the season has finally come to an end. Won’t miss it! Still, l want to thank my team for all the hard work this year. Through it all, we pushed on and learned so much that will get us back to the top next year. I have no doubt we’ll come back better. We’ll be back. I’ll be back.

It's shaping up well.  Merc were much more competitive in the last few races, fighting for wins and getting a win. Ferrari have had a quick car all year and will hopefuly continue that.  Red Bull are Red Bull. They'll be there.  Lewis needs to look closer to home though. He lost to his teammate, so even in the best car he's no longer a gimme.  I'm interested in McLaren. Lando will be lightning and hopefully they can give him a better car. I rate Piastri extremely highly and think he'll surprise plenty.  I'd love to see them join the party.  I never have faith in Renault/Alpine. As good as their season was, they always seem to be a half-hearted outfit from a budget and commitment point of view.  I guess what's in their favour next season is 2 proven and quick drivers, where McLaren do have a rookie so there's a chance it doesn't work.  But we shall see.

Only 103 days to Bahrain :D:lol:

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Farlz said:

He's a pretty garbage TP but every team on the grid will want him as an engineer. 

Merc will overtake them again in 23 and the Ferrari clown show will roll on. 

I think his only mistake was not firing the strategy department. Other than that, they have the fastest car they've had since Schumacher drove it. Granted, he should have grabbed the strategy problem by the scruff of the neck and he didn't, and that particular buck stops with him, but if he's the only head to roll this winter then we'll get more of the same from them. And the replacement might be worse in other areas. I think they should have kept him tbh. If the same strategists are there next season then that will be absolutely amazing.

• 2 weeks later...