Formula One - 2022

BOF

35 minutes ago, Genie said:

I assume quite a few drivers and team staff would refuse to go to Russia too. It’s impossible for many reasons.

I hope so and I hope they still refuse regardless of how Ukraine ends. Russia are a parriah state and need to lose this kind of thing permanently. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

The top four on times are the two Mercedes and the two Red Bulls.

I'm a little saddened by that.

I wouldn't be too downhearted. I don't think Ferrari were concerned with time today.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Alfa Romeo C42

alfa-romeo-c42-1.jpg

alfa-romeo-c42-1.jpg

alfa-romeo-c42-1.jpg

alfa-romeo-c42-1.webp

alfa-romeo-c42-1.webp

First one to make the hub caps look decent - although having said that they all look kinda interesting when spinning fast enough for motion blur in the cameras. By the looks of the design of this one, it will be stroboscopic and reach a speed where the white and red blurs look stationary/slow which will be kinda cool.

22 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Is Mazepin confirmed out?

I saw some fake news going round that Giovonazzi had replaced him

I've not heard anything myself although Pietro Fittipaldi would seem to be first in the queue to replace him if he is out.

• Like 1

And it seems McLaren are the only team who were largely unaffected by porpoising (tighter spirals; better controlled vortices)

Click link for more.

Gary Anderson: Is this why McLaren looks immune to porpoising?

McLaren-inverted-1024x576.jpg

Every team encountered the problem of porpoising at least to some extent during the Barcelona Formula 1 test, but McLaren appeared to be the least troubled by it.

Thanks to the wet running on the final afternoon, and some special photographic trickery, we now have some understanding of why that might be the case.

“We’ve experienced a little of that,” said technical director James Key on the final day of testing. But he also described it as “not a major concern or major distraction for our drivers right now”. The question is, why?

Porpoising is caused by the underfloor aero stalling, leading to the rear of the car losing aero load and rising, followed by the front, then the process starting all over again as the aero starts working again, lowering the car and then stalling again. In extreme cases, this can cause a sequence of troubling oscillations.